Contributor
janiszyn
Accepted Solution

Cannot connect to internet with my comcast service.

I cannot connect to the internet with my own comcast service.  I have a Mac OS X 10.5.8.  My roommate is able to connect with her PC but I cannot.  I have to use someone else's wireless but sometimes the service fluctuates and that's why I got my own service.  I have ordered a wireless router but for now my service is just by Ethernet. 

When I click on Ethernet it says  Ethernet: Self-assigned IP Address.  It also says:  Ethernet has a self-assigned IP address and may not be able to connect. The IP address is listed as:169.254.177.218

I would like to figure this out since I am paying for it after all.  The borrowed wireless has worked great since I bought service so I didn't even notice the Ethernet wasn't working for a while.  I know the technician took for ever trying to get my computer set up and now I suspect he never actually got it to work...

Thanks

Email Expert

Re: Cannot connect to internet with my comcast service.

When you switch the device connected to the modem, you have to reset the modem. If it's an ordinary modem, unplug it for a minute; if it's a telephony modem, press the Reset button.

Getting a router will save you this hassle, and allow you to use the Internet at the same time as your roommate.

Contributor
janiszyn

Thank you, I am now connected with the airport turned off.  I did what you said and unplugged the modem for a few minuets then plugged it back in while my computer was also connected.  It did not work at first until I clicked advanced in Network Preferences and hit Renew DHCP Lease.  It was then that the DNS Server and Search Domains section that had been blank was filled in.  So I take it I will have to do this every time I need to use the Ethernet cable to connect?  That is going to be a pain.

Email Expert

I'm not sure why you needed to Renew DHCP Lease. Normally the Mac detects the Ethernet being disconnected and reconnected, and renews automatically.

Do yourself a favor and get a router to avoid the pain. New ones cost around $50; if cost is an issue, you should be able to find cheap ones on eBay.

Web Page Expert
BethKatz