Contributor
suptjneff

Cannot download new iTunes version

Trying to update iTunes on my iMac desktop; from the iTunes site, after choosing download, "download" button  appears, after clicking on it, nothing happens.

I've deleted the old version along with associated files.  Still works fine on my MacBook pro.

Thanks.

Regular Contributor
OriginalMacRat

Re: Cannot download new iTunes version

You don't need to download from a web site.

Pull down the APPLE menu in the upper left corner of your screen and select SOFTWARE UPDATE.

The updater will download all of the latest app updates that can run on your Mac OS.

Contributor
suptjneff

The Apple updater indicates that all software is up to date.

Thanks.

Regular Contributor
OriginalMacRat

[ Edited ]

I suspected that would be the case.

You are likely running an older version of Mac OS and already have the last version of iTunes that is supported on that OS version.

Which version of Mac OS are you running?

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

Note that I am not the original poster ...

Software Update on my desktop was erroneously saying that all of my software was up-to-date yet iTunes was saying that it needed a later release. Our other computers had the current iTunes release.

We went into our administrator account on my desktop computer, downloaded the iTunes install package from Apple (so, yes, this was downloaded separately and not in Software Update - http://www.apple.com/support/itunes/install/ ), and installed it. Hopefully it will now be included (as it had been) in Software Update.

I'm running Mac OS X 10.7.4 now with iTunes 10.6.3.

My desktop Mac is old enough (Mac Pro 1.1 bought in Fall 2006) that I can't upgrade to Mountain Lion. The upgrade list at Apple ( http://www.apple.com/osx/how-to-upgrade/ ) lists dates rather than model numbers. The date info is not readily available from About This Mac or System Information.
Contributor
suptjneff

I'm running Mac OS 10.6.8   When I try to download, the download file box appears, but nothing happens when I press the "save file" button.  No download window shows up as it usually does, etc.

Regular Contributor
OriginalMacRat

Downloads are saved to the Downloads folder in your home directory.

Double click the iTunes DMG file that was downloaded and then run the iTunes installer.

Email Expert

Also, when you open iTunes, you can use the menu iTunes->Check for Updates to download the update.

Contributor
suptjneff

Thanks; I'm aware of the Downloads folder & of the process.  Have searched (both manually & with Spotlight) the hard drive, applications, & other folders--no iTunes.

As before, when trying to download, the download box disappears almost instantly after clicking on the "download" button, no download progress inidcator, etc.

Email Expert

There are some Safari extensions that make the downloads window disappear automatically, see if these show up in Preferences.

Also, in Preferences->General you can configure a different folder for downloads, see if that's set to something other than your Downloads folder.

Does your download problem happen if you try from a different user account?

Contributor
suptjneff

Thanks for the help.  Got iTunes downloaded successfully.  Don't know if it was the iMac CleanUP tools run or some other factor; but, it is working ok now.