New Visitor

Comcast home page slow to load

Right around the time the worm hit PC users everywhere, I began having trouble logging on to Comcast's website from my Mac. I know the worm didn't affect Macs, but the fact is that it is still taking upwards of 5 minutes for Comcast's home page to load when I go to it. No other website I visit has this problem -- only Comcast.net. Further, it always seems to hang up while loading the navbar.xml graphic. I've downloaded the very newest version of IE for Mac (5.1.7) and have installed the very latest version of Flash Player for Mac. Any ideas?
New Visitor

Re: Comcast home page slow to load

I have iMac 9.1 and also find Comcast slow to load. I have a friend who uses both Mac and IBM compatible and she says that Comcast is slow to load on both.
Most Valued Poster
Zathros

> Right around the time the worm hit PC users
> everywhere, I began having trouble logging on to
> Comcast's website from my Mac. I know the worm didn't
> affect Macs,

Actually, it did. The continual port probing and its related ARP storm is essentially a distributed denial of service attack... It's occupying a chunk of your allotted bandwidth. Kindof like an idiot neighbor parking half-way across your driveway, then passing out across your door stoop before knocking.

So far, Comcast has taken little to no action to address this.

> but the fact is that it is still taking
> upwards of 5 minutes for Comcast's home page to load

Ya. www.comcast.net, etc, seems to be general hozed. Slow to load, returns page fetch errors, etc.

They'll fix it sometime in the next decade, I expect.

- Dan.
- Dan.
  EARTH FIRST! We'll strip-mine the other planets later.
New Visitor

I have found that it is not my machine. Comcast is being cheap with the bandwidth. My suspicion is that it is a cost saving measure. I have yet to get any tech help. I believe that the help techs sit at the computer spewing out the party line, unwilling to admit server failure.

I would like to know when it became acceptable to tell a customer that the rented modem needs to be unplugged every couple of days to maintain quality connections. IF the modem needs to be disonnected every couple of days, don't we need a new modem?
Most Valued Poster
Zathros

Anon 93086 wrote:
> I would like to know when it became acceptable to
> tell a customer that the rented modem needs to be
> unplugged every couple of days to maintain quality
> connections.

Been that way as long as I've had cable modem - since May of 2000.

> IF the modem needs to be disonnected
> every couple of days, don't we need a new modem?

This is really off topic to this thread and forum, but...

If your cable connection is working correctly, the modem shouldn't loose sync or require power-cycling more than once a month. Maybe even once every n months.

But the reality is that, between hardware flaking out (cable modem, CMTS, routers) and the weather degrading coax and connectors, connections do fail. The most common problem is higher noise levels during/after bad weather, which cause the modem to loose sync. The easiest first step to resolve such problems is to power-cycle - which initiates a quick modem diagnostic and a fresh search for a usable frequency band.

Now, if you have to power-cycle your modem *often* then you need to call Comcast to initiate a more indepth service call... Get them to roll a truck; visit your home. Hook up their testing equipment and really check things out. Unlikely the problem is your modem. It's most often something upstream...

HTH,
- Dan.
- Dan.
  EARTH FIRST! We'll strip-mine the other planets later.
New Visitor

I realize this response is a little late, but I thought I'd check back to see if you know if anything's changed on Comcast's end regarding the bandwidth issue.

Also, your "neighbor" analogy made me spit coffee onto my display. Well done! You should consider writing a Dummies book.

Many thanks,
9down