Contributor
FRCLYDE

E-mail address changes

One of my friends has changed his e-mail address.

The problem is the former address taks president over the new address on all transmissions.

With sbcglobal.net I know how to locate a listing of former or current addresses and was able to delete

a former e-mail address when a friend changed his e-mail address.

How do I locate this listing to delete former addresses?

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

Re: E-mail address changes

What are you using for email?

If it is the Mac's built-in Mail app, go to the Window menu and Previous Recipients. Find the old address (the search box helps), select the address, and choose Remove From List.

If they are also in your Address Book, open that, find the name, and change the address.

Contributor
FRCLYDE

Thank you.  I have a Mac current OS  and in Mail I can's find Window menu you recommended. 

Therefore not able to find Prior recipients .

Any idea what I am doing incorrectly?

Web Page Expert

What are you using for email?

If it is the Mac's built-in Mail app, go to the Window menu and Previous Recipients. Find the old address (the search box helps), select the address, and choose Remove From List.

If they are also in your Address Book, open that, find the name, and change the address.

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

I didn't realize that the menu called Window had been removed in Lion's version of Mail. I don't have Lion installed yet on my home computers because I'm not sure my business software will work. 

Let's try a different approach ... Type the problem name in a To line for a message. Let it complete. Then mouse over the name so that it gets a little down arrow on the right side. Click on the arrow to get a menu of actions including Remove from Previous Recipients List. I would hope that Apple didn't remove it from there.

Please let us know if that works.

Email Expert

Strange, this Apple document indicates that the Window->Previous Recipients menu item is still there in Lion.

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

Barmar wrote:

Strange, this Apple document indicates that the Window->Previous Recipients menu item is still there in Lion.

I couldn't check since I'm still running Snow Leopard. I know some people seem to have trouble finding the Window menu between the Format and Help menus in Mail.

Contributor
FRCLYDE

There have been several great responses to my problem, but I must be dumb as a bucket of rocks.

I am not able to find the link to my messages which are not delivered as his prior address takes

presedent of the new address in the address book. 

I guess I will have to await his transmission asking what happened and hopefully using the Reply option

I can explain to him.  

Thanks for the time and effort of many wonderful suggestons to resolve this problem.

Email Expert

Is your friend in your Address Book? Did you update his email there?

The Previous Recipients list is used for addresses that you send to when the person isn't in your address book.

Contributor
FRCLYDE

OK, I trust I can make this clear as Comcast is a new ISP for me. I was not allowed to transfer my former Sbcglobal.net to my new physical home address.  Had to use either Comcast or Verizon. 

When I was with Sbcglobal.net, there was an easy way to view all current e-mail addresses in addition to the Address Book.  When a friend changed his address, I change in the Address Book per his information.

Problem is the former listing I mention above does not revised automatically to reflect the new address. The former address is retained and when I send him a message, it--the former--takes precedent  over the new address in the Address Book.  The message is automatically sent to the prior address which no longer exist.  Results, the transmission is rejected so my friend never see the transmission.   

To fix the problem, I must access the listing showing his former address and delete same.  Then the address in the Address Book is used my Mail.  The first message I send is then added to the listing of all

former addresses.  Now both it and Address Book are syn and no further problem. 

This is why I must be able to locate the listing of address in order to delete his prior address. 

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

[ Edited ]

We're not trying to be unhelpful, but something doesn't seem right here.

As best I can tell, you are NOT using the built-in Mac Mail. If you were, you would see the Previous Recipient list under the Window menu in Mail. And it wouldn't matter whether you were using sbcgolbal or Comcast for your ISP.  This is what my menus look like:

MailMenus.jpg

So maybe you are using Xfinity Connect through a web browser. But there, it won't fill in your previous recipients. If you look in the Address Book, you should see the entry you have for your friend. Edit it as shown here:

XCaddress.jpg

So what are you using for Mail?

Edit to show the pop-up when clicking on arrow at far right of an address. Do that for the incorrect one:

MailPrevRecip.jpg

Contributor
FRCLYDE

In a round about way, you solved my problem.  When I clicked Mail in Application folder, the following

messages: "You tried to open Mail Version 4.2. You can't use this version of Mail w/ this version of 

Max OS.

It then suggests going to Mail in Application folder--when I did the above message again appears.

I don't know how I secured this version (4.2) unless Comcast caused problem. I did nothing. In order to

send Mail, I must use Safari and it does show Mail, Voice and others. That mail works OK. 

I then tried the postage stamp Mail on bottom of Dock and it open with Previous as you stated, but the "Send" in upper left corner is grey and it will not work.  This version is 4.5 and Previous does appear. 

While this Safari method works to send Mail, with your guidance, I can still click the Postage Stamp Icon

and Previous addresses are shown.  What a rube goldburg method.  I have no idea of how to correct

the OS to reflect the Postage Stamp Icon.  

It is possible I may be able to drag the Icon on Dock to Application thereby restoring the Mail method I

used for several years.

What do you think of this idea?

Clyde

Contributor
FRCLYDE

I addition to my comments below, I now have a new odd occurance.

I deleted his addrerss in total, name and address from Address Book.  Retyped his present address which

is his new address.

When I attempt to send a message, instead of the new address I established, the former appears.

I had deleted it from the Previous List in the Postage Stamp selection.  I then deleted his name and new

address and reestablished his name and the new address.

When I click his name to bring up his current address, the Former which I deleted from Previous listing

appears.  Nuts.  I don't understand how the prior can now appear.

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

If I could see your computer, it would be so much easier to help you. But I can't see what you are seeing.

It should be very straightforward to send mail.

There are essentially two choices and they have their own address books. Choose one and stick with it rather than switching back and forth.

You can use an email client such as Mac Mail. That's the application associated with the postage stamp icon on your dock. Mine is version 4.5, but I am running Snow Leopard (Mac OS X 10.6.8). You said you were running the current OS which would be Lion (Mac OS X 10.7), but I'm not so sure. 

To be able to use an email client, you need to set it up to get email from the ISP mail server and send mail through the ISP mail server. There are directions for doing that in this thread. (click that link). Note that there are two ports - one for incoming and one for outgoing. They are different.

Please double-click on the postage stamp icon on your dock and follow the instructions in the link to set up an account in Mail that will access your Comcast email. It sounds like that is what you want to be doing.

I don't know why you have an older version of Mail in your Applications directory. Comcast should not have installed any software on your Mac. I suppose someone could have given you a disk that had an old version of Mail on it???? But the version on your dock seems to be 4.5. It's someplace where it can be run. leave it. Set it up to use your Comcast account. That should work.

The other alternative is to use Safari to access Xfinity Connect which is Comcast's web-based email. It has its own address book as you discovered. You'll need to update your friend's address in that address book as well. That's the middle picture in most post above.

It's been a long day. I hope that makes sense.

Contributor
FRCLYDE

I am using Mac V10.6.8, but have not upgraded to Lion.  The Mail Verions I was using 4.2 would not work on above to delete former address of friend.  In trying to correct, and I now found V4.5, BUT the Send key is grey out.

In sort, I can type but NOT send anything. V4.2 permitted sending but could not delete former E-mail addrress. 

In summary, Mail appears to function OK, except the Send key is grey and will not permit transmission. of anything.

Any idea why?

Gold Problem Solver
BruceW

FRCLYDE wrote: ... I now found V4.5, BUT the Send key is grey out. ...

Please check your Mail account settings against the ones in the link Beth posted earlier: http://forums.comcast.com/t5/E-Mail-and-Xfinity-Connect-Help/Managing-your-Email-in-Mac-OSX/td-p/778....

Until you get Mail working you might want to clear the check mark for "Remove copy from server after retrieving a message".