Contributor
Accepted Solution

Email addresses

I'm going from a PC to a Mac and can't get to my email addresses on comcast. Where do I find them on my PC all together in some address book?, so that I can print them out?

Email Expert

Re: Email addresses

What mail program are you using on the PC? In most mail programs (Outlook Express, Outlook, Windows Mail) you click on the Address Book to get your list of contacts.

Instead of printing it out, you should be able to export it to a CSV file, copy the file to your Mac, and then import it into the Mac's address book.

Contributor

Thanks. What does CSV(file) stand for?

Email Expert
JR071702

uteriggin wrote:

Thanks. What does CSV(file) stand for?

Comma

Separated

Variable

JR

Contributor

Hmmm..sorry that's not helping me.

I have no idea what comma separated variable (file) means.Please dumb it down for me.

I'm not familiar w/ that computer lingo and not that computer savy ( otherwise i would not have asked for help)

I can access now  the email addresses on my Mac if I go via Safari to comcast mail. Now, how do I transfer those files from that address book to the Mac mail (version 4.4), which is also a comcast address and has a address book...but it's empty, unless I add addresses one by one again. I'd like to avoid that. I prefer to avoid going thru Safari to access comcast mail.

Thanks again for trying to help.

Networking Expert
kevj

The address you see in Safari are stored on the Comcast mail server. To export your addresses to a CSV file, once you are your email in Safari, click on the Preferences Tab at the top of the email screen.

1.png

Once in the Preferences screen, make sure you select the Address Book option on the left side of the page.

2.png

In the main frame, you will see an 'Export' option. Click the 'Export' button to create a CSV file of your Contacts. When prompted, Save it to a location on your Mac so you will know where to find it.

I don't use a Mac, so I am not familiar with Mac Mail, but there should be an option in the MacMail address book to import a file.

I am going tomove this thread to the Macintosh forum, so someone there can help you with the rest.

Be advised, however, that adddress in your MacMail address Book, and those in your Comcast address book will not stay in sync. If you add one in one place, you will need to add it in the other if you want the address books to be identical.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't work for Comcast...

Help us to help you!!
- respond to requests for info
- post back if your issue is resolved
- mark appropriate posts as solutions

Send feedback to Comcast using the 'feedback' link on this page:
http://www.comcast.com/Corporate/Customers/CustomerGuarantee.html?SCRedirect=true

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

I'm still not clear whether you really want to be using Mac Mail after using some other email client on Windows. Or have you been using SmartZone and no longer wish to do so? But you marked the SmartZone answer as a solution. I normally use Mac Mail.

In Mac Mail, I used the Help menu at the right end of the Mail menus and typed in 'address book'. One of the topics is 'Importing email addresses'. It notes that Mail uses the Address Book application to store email addresses and other contact information. That application's icon is probably in your dock. It looks like a tan-colored address book with an @ on the cover.

In Address Book, under the File menu is Import. But if you go to the Address Book help and type 'import', you will see a detailed description of how to import contacts from other applications. It starts with:

Address Book can import contact information that you have saved or exported from other applications in vCard, LDAP Interchange Format (LDIF), tab-delimited, and comma-separated value (CSV) formats.
You can export addresses in LDIF format from Netscape, and vCards from Entourage, Outlook, and others. You can export text files in tab-delimited or CSV format from Numbers or most databases.

In particular, if you export the addresses from SmartZone as noted above, you should be able to use the Address Book's  File > Import and get the contact info. The help warns that having line breaks in some of the data may cause the import to fail. But if I were doing this, I'd try it and see what happens.

Contributor

Yeah Beth I'm not clear yet either. 

I just got the Imac 2 days ago and I'm fumbling a bit. I started w/ the Mac mail and then checked the sent mail and saw it was my comcast address. That's when I noticed not having my comcast addresses available. However , after searching I found that I just could use Safari to connect to Comcast and I made that a bookmark. That's now w/ the smartzone and has all the addresses, so I guess it would be good to either use one or the other.

However, if I'm importing the addresses from Safari/comcast  to MacMail/comcast, they don't sync in use.

Sooo, unless I hear different I kinda need to stick w/ Safari/comcast, so I have the same outgoing mail and trashed mail etc for comcast email wherever I access it from.

I need to add , that i also have a PC lapbook, which I take for travel...so my need for having the same email address in sync..seems to be most efficient...however I like the one button click for Macmail :-) Pheewww. Thanks for your explanations. I'm saving them..if I go the Macmail route.

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

Okay. I have a better idea of what you are doing. 

For now, ignore Mac Mail. It's a great tool. That's what I use. But ...

If you are traveling and want the same info available on multiple machines, you need to keep the email in a centralized server. In this case, your Comcast mail is accessible through SmartZone. SmartZone is accessible through a web browser. You can use Safari or Firefox or some other web browser.

In Safari, when you are looking at SmartZone, you can create a Bookmark and put it on the Bookmarks Bar. That makes it a one-click on the top of the Safari window. Not quite as convenient as launching Mac Mail.

Or when in Safari and newly opened SmartZone, you can take the Comcast favicon (little logo in front of the site URL) and drag it to the desktop. That creates a shortcut so that if you double-click it, it will launch Safari and open SmartZone. In any of these, you'll need to sign in sometimes.

Welcome to the Mac world. Remember that most built-in apps have reasonable help. I also suggest finding a local user group at http://www.apple.com/usergroups/

Contributor

Thanks a lot Beth.Thats a good idea just putting the icon on my destop to just open it w/ one click that way.

I've been bi..Apple/PC for a long time....but my Apple i replaced was oooold(11 years), started w/ OS 9 and I put OS X on it..then ran out of space and couldn't run many apps anymore, since i couldn't upgrade. 

Now I'm in speed heaven w/ the iMac and my PC just seems so slow now in comparison.

So, muchas gracias again..and thanks for being clear with your explanation ( English is not my 1st language, so if someone uses jargon..I'm really lost.)