Bronze Star Contributor
MangyMoose

FaceTime Login Failure

Yeah - this is not a Comcast issue per se.  But, I am reaching out the Comcast community for help.  Maybe someone here knows of a solution.

I can't get my wired MacPro to connect via Facetime unless I restart with only WiFi enabled.  I have no other issues with internet access.

Anyone have any ideas?

Image is from the posting at Apple's forums.

facetime.jpg

Bronze Star Contributor
MangyMoose

Re: FaceTime Login Failure

I opened the outbound ports (TCP and UDP) as mentioned in this article: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4245 I did not do port-forwarding - only set the ports to always allow on the outbound side. I have not done anything to allow inbound (yet). That seems to allow me to validate using the wired connection. Later I will test using someone calling in from the outside. If that does not work then I will open those same ports on the inbound services.
Networking Expert
Baric

[ Edited ]

You usually do NOT need port forwarding on the router for this to work, and since it works wirelessly but not wired, that probably means some TCP/IP settings on the two network adapters are different somehow.  Post this info:

1. When wired, post the output of "cat /etc/resolv.conf" and "ipconfig getpacket en0".
  2. When wireless, post the output of "cat /etc/resolv.conf" and "ipconfig getpacket en1".
  3. Are you using some kind of 3rd party firewall on your Mac?
  4. What Mac and Mac OS X version?  Not sure if the little line under your first post is accurate.
  5. What exact router are you using?
  6. Why did you change the DNS servers in the router?  I would recommend going back to the Comcast servers, 75.75.75.75 and 75.75.76.76 unless you have a very good reason for not using them.
  7. Go into your network settings for each adapter and detail the contents of the TCP/IP tab.
Bronze Star Contributor
MangyMoose

[ Edited ]

Sorry - been out most of the weekend.  I will get on the router and get some cogfig data soon.

Email Expert

Baric wrote:

You usually do NOT need port forwarding on the router for this to work, and since it works wirelessly but not wired, that probably means some TCP/IP settings on the two network adapters are different somehow.  Post this info:

1. When wired, post the output of "cat /etc/resolv.conf" and "ipconfig getpacket en0".
  2. When wireless, post the output of "cat /etc/resolv.conf" and "ipconfig getpacket en1".
  3. Are you using some kind of 3rd party firewall on your Mac?
  4. What Mac and Mac OS X version?  Not sure if the little line under your first post is accurate.
  5. What exact router are you using?
  6. Why did you change the DNS servers in the router?  I would recommend going back to the Comcast servers, 75.75.75.75 and 75.75.76.76 unless you have a very good reason for not using them.
  7. Go into your network settings for each adapter and detail the contents of the TCP/IP tab.

He didn't change the DNS settings, that was someone else responding in the Apple forum.

Networking Expert
Baric

Well, from the original post I assumed he WAS RogersDA and he says he modified the DNS per some other post, although there is no reason given. 

Bronze Star Contributor
MangyMoose

[ Edited ]

Sorry for the delay in responding.  Work is getting in the way.  

Yeah - that's my posting in the screen grab above.

I have a Zoom 53431 DOCSIS 3 modem connected to a Netgear SRXN3205 router.  My MacPro is running Lion (OS 10.7.3) (I had not updated my Apple forum profile).

On the Apple and Macrumors forums there were many postings about changing the DNS servers to Google's, and many people had success running Facetime after doing that.

The first time I opened the ports on the router, Facetime worked. Now, today, it does not. This morning I have rebooted the router and have restarted the modem.  This did not solve the problem of connected Facetime via a wired ethernet connection.

WIRED cat /etc/resolv.conf
# Mac OS X Notice
#
# This file is not used by the host name and address resolution
# or the DNS query routing mechanisms used by most processes on
# this Mac OS X system.
#
# This file is automatically generated.
#
domain netgear.com
nameserver 192.168.1.1

WIRED ipconfig getpacket en0
op = BOOTREPLY
htype = 1
flags = 0
hlen = 6
hops = 0
xid = 2186479545
secs = 25
ciaddr = 0.0.0.0
yiaddr = 192.168.1.2
siaddr = 0.0.0.0
giaddr = 0.0.0.0
chaddr = XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX
sname =
file =
options:
Options count is 8
dhcp_message_type (uint8): ACK 0x5
server_identifier (ip): 192.168.1.1
lease_time (uint32): 0x15180
subnet_mask (ip): 255.255.255.0
router (ip_mult): {192.168.1.1}
domain_name_server (ip_mult): {192.168.1.1}
domain_name (string): netgear.com
end (none):

WIRELESS cat /etc/resolv.conf
#
# Mac OS X Notice
#
# This file is not used by the host name and address resolution
# or the DNS query routing mechanisms used by most processes on
# this Mac OS X system.
#
# This file is automatically generated.
#
domain netgear.com
nameserver 192.168.1.1

WIRELESS ipconfig getpacket en2
op = BOOTREPLY
htype = 1
flags = 0
hlen = 6
hops = 0
xid = 480393998
secs = 3
ciaddr = 0.0.0.0
yiaddr = 192.168.1.27
siaddr = 0.0.0.0
giaddr = 0.0.0.0
chaddr = XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX
sname =
file =
options:
Options count is 8
dhcp_message_type (uint8): ACK 0x5
server_identifier (ip): 192.168.1.1
lease_time (uint32): 0x15180
subnet_mask (ip): 255.255.255.0
router (ip_mult): {192.168.1.1}
domain_name_server (ip_mult): {192.168.1.1}
domain_name (string): netgear.com
end (none):

Bronze Star Contributor
MangyMoose

Screen grabs of the network configuration

The router:

router.jpg

WIRED TCP

wired_TCP.jpg

WIRED DNS

wired_dns.jpg

WIRELESS TCP

wireless_tcp.jpg

WIRELESS DNS

wireless_DNS.jpg

Bronze Star Contributor
MangyMoose

Originally opening the ports on the router seemed to solve the problem.  Then today it didn't work anymore.

So - I renamed 

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.FaceTime.plist*

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.imservice.FaceTime.plist*

I relaunched FaceTime and it worked.  I rebooted the Mac and it still worked.

Maybe that solved the problem.  We'll see over the next few days if FaceTime stops working again.

*For those that might be interested, in Lion the ~/Library folder is hidden by default so you have to unhide it or use Finder's Go To Folder.

If it continues to work I will reset the DNS, ports, etc. and see what happens.

Email Expert

Baric wrote:

Well, from the original post I assumed he WAS RogersDA and he says he modified the DNS per some other post, although there is no reason given. 

Now I see it. I was focused on the post from gaberealdanger, which said "I changed the DNS", and didn't see where RogersDA said "The DNS settings on the router are...".

However, his router is pointing to Google DNS, which should be perfectly fine.

Bronze Star Contributor
MangyMoose

Well, not working again.  I have not made any changes since the deletion of the plist files this morning.

Ugh.

Bronze Star Contributor
MangyMoose

Reloaded Lion (Restart - CRTL-R- Reinstall Lion), then upgraded firmware to router, and then reset router to factory default.

Right now Facetime works.

Tomorrow?  Who knows....

(and I did re-enable WPA on the WiFi and change the admin password on the router)

Bronze Star Contributor
MangyMoose

To follow-up - FaceTime is still borked.

The above never solved the problem, and I have been dealing with figuring this out for a while.

Today I logged-on to my router and looked at the time zone settings. The time zone was set incorrectly, and the time servers were Netgear's.  Sorry, but I do not recall the specific  server addresses anymore.

At any rate, I updated the time zone, and for giggles I changed the primary and secondary time servers to NIST's (time-a.nist.gov and time-b.nist.gov).  After saving the router's settings I then shut-down the computer and turned it back on.  When I opened FaceTime everything worked after signing-in.   I shut-down the computer and turned it back on again.  Even though I made no further changes to the router FaceTime will no longer allow me to sign-in.

So, I access the router's settings again and change the time server to Apple (time.apple.com).  I save those settingd, and then shut-down the computer and turn it back on.  FaceTime allows me to sign-in, and I can use it. I then turn the computer back off and back on again.  Again, FaceTime does not work.  So, I change the time servers back to NIST's.  Repeat the computer power cycling, and FaceTime works.

No other Apple device (iPhones, iPads, iMac, MacBooks) has this problem - they can all sign-in to FaceTime without a problem.  Of course, they are all connecting to the same router via WiFi.  They never had a problem signing-in even when the router had the incorrect time zone setting.

This is quite baffling to me.  I can't understand why FaceTime on this MacPro is requiring a time server setting change and reboot just to get it to work.

I guess I could try to leave the MacPro on 24-7, but that is not always feasible.  Plus, I think I recall this signing-in issue happening after waking the computer the next morning.

Any ideas on how to keep FaceTime activated/validated would be greatly appreciated!  

Bronze Problem Solver
UHFhd

[ Edited ]

Check out this site       http://www.opendns.com/home-solutions/       < 

Looks like you should manually enter correct dns numbers if not interested in opendns .

network> wired> dns  switch to manually enter dns numbers

network > wireless > dns      switch to manually enter dns numbers      

same numbers with router dns

Bronze Star Contributor
MangyMoose

UHFhd wrote:

Check out this site       http://www.opendns.com/home-solutions/       < 

Looks like you should manually enter correct dns numbers if not interested in opendns .

network> wired> dns  switch to manually enter dns numbers

network > wireless > dns      switch to manually enter dns numbers      

same numbers with router dns

Can you please tell me what OpenDNS has to do with this?  I had OpenDNS last year but dumped for other reasons.

Bronze Problem Solver
UHFhd

Re: Peacetime Login Failure

[ Edited ]

Open dns has  directions for filling in dns numbers ,noticed your member here since 2003 so ignore open dns statement .  Did you try manually filling in dns numbers in router page , wireless setting and Ethernet ?    One other thing did you try turning off ipv6 ? 

Networking Expert
Baric

Disconnect the Mac Pro from the network (disable the Airport adapter if necessary) and reboot.  What does the time say?  If it's off or reset you may have an issue with your system's CMOS battery being flaky.  In that case, replace it.  If the time is correct, go and check the Timezone and Internet time settings.  Make sure your timezone is correct for your area and agrees with the timezone setting in the router.  For your Internet time settings, you can use whatever the router is using, but personally I just use the Apple Time servers (they are in the list).  If your router runs an ntp server, just sync with it, so that your router and Mac Pro are in sync.

Of course I can not see what all this would have to do with an ethernet vs wireless Facetime login issue, but something strange is going on.

Bronze Star Contributor
MangyMoose

[ Edited ]

If the CMOS battery was bad I believe that the OS would give me some indication of that when booting.  However, I may do your suggestions and see what happens. 

You are right - the wired/WiFi suckuation is odd. 

But, I am heading to the mountains (in an area sans internet) for a few days.  So FaceTime can wait. 

Networking Expert
Baric

It might not.  I had an old G4 PowerBook that developed a bad battery.  Everytime the system turned on, the time was reset to 1970 and caused no end to trouble until it was corrected.  But lots of other situations are possible.

I'm just pulling at straws here, the range and nature of symptoms is very strange and doesn't appear to point in any one direction that I can see.

Bronze Problem Solver
UHFhd

Manually enter DNS numbers instead of using netgear.com and 192.168.1.1 and turn off ipv6 just in case of conflict there .

If thats not it i have no clue .

Bronze Star Contributor
MangyMoose

Tomorrow I will be speaking with someone from Apple Corporate Executive Relations in response to an email to Tim Cook. We will see what happens from there.
Bronze Problem Solver
UHFhd

any news ?

Bronze Star Contributor
MangyMoose

Not yet.  I did not get home from the mountains until late Thursday, and work/home stuff took all of my time on Friday.  I am going to try to contact Apple on Monday.

Of course, the router was changed this weekend to see if that helped.

It didn't.