Regular Contributor
Accepted Solution

I am a Mac user. Can't receive or send email thru Mac Mail all of the sudden...

I had this problem a couple of years ago, where Comcast changed their internal configurations (or server change) for security purposes and Mac customers had trouble sending and receiving email...the tech support I worked with on the issue was able to help me fix the problem other than mess around with ports etc. I don't remember the solution, but it was something I would not have been able to recognize by myself. I have contacted tech support and all they can do it  run thru my email settings and put together a work order so I can get more advanced help in the next 24-72 hours. I am really frustrated because I know there is a quick fix to this since I had a similar issue a few years back. The first tech support did admit that there was some recent work done internally on their end which may explain the issues I am having. I really just want to be able to get my email without having to go on the Comcast website....Is anyone out there having the same problem????

Regular Contributor
OriginalMacRat

Re: I am a Mac user. Can't receive or send email thru Mac Mail all of the sudden...

When running Mail app, pull down the WINDOW menu and select CONNECTION DOCTOR.

Tell us what it reports about your connection to the mail server.

Regular Contributor

Re: I am a Mac user. Can't receive or send email thru Mac Mail all of the sudden...

This is what I have:

MailConnectionDoctor.jpg

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

Click the Show detail at the bottom and check again. Tell us what the error is for the Comcast account.

It really would help if you also checked the port settings. 

We're customers like you and can't see your account. 

Can you go to SmartZone (email link above) and see if you have a big or corrupt message? But you say you can't send as well as can't receive. To me that suggests that your password may have been changed. But you could get in here.

Regular Contributor

There shows nothing in the Show detail box. I can get into my email fine on the Comcast site. I am able to receive email in my other account as well...I can get internet connection just fine too.

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

[ Edited ]

Thank you for the extra information. 

Your picture also shows that whatever you have listed as smtp.comcast.net is working without a login

When you click Show Detail did you also click Check Again? That should check all the accounts and print quite a bit of detail.

Could you please humor me and go to Mail > Preferences > Accounts > (your Comcast account). For incoming mail server, use mail.comcast.net and have your User Name without the @comcast.net.

While on that panel, does outgoing mail server have "use only this server" checked? Click on the pop-up at the bottom and smtp.comcast.net.  Click on Advanced and be sure you are using a custom port of 465 (not the defaults), SSL, password authentication, and your username and password. Click OK.

You'll be back at the Accounts page. Check that the Comcast account is still selected. Go to Advanced and be sure that the incoming mail settings are

- enabled

- included when automatically checking for new mail

- using port 995 with SSL and authentication password

Regular Contributor

I talked to Apple tech support today. They said it has nothing to do on the Apple end based on my settings. They said it is a server/setting issue on Comcast's end. The first Comcast tech I spoke too, did say that from what he could tell from their end, they were working internally on their end so I know this is a setting/server issue on Comcast's end. I just wish I did not have to wait 72 hours(work ticket) to find out what is going on. I would really like to get my life back.

Here are several snapshots I have taken of the windows in my preferences. Let me know if you can gather anything from these? I really appreciate it. Thanks!MailConnectionDoctor2.jpgaccountWINDOW_adv.jpgaccountWINDOW_adv2.jpgaccountWINDOW.jpg

Networking Expert
Baric

[ Edited ]

There is at least one error there.  465 is the SMTP port, not the POP port.  Set it up like this (I'm borrowing an image from Joel's excellent Mac Mail setup instructions):

For the full setup instructions for Comcast see Joel's thread:

Managing your Email in Mac OSX

Regular Contributor

You are the angel of emails. Thank you so much!!! This worked!!! After not receiving email properly for the last 3 days...my nightmare is over. I am literally on the verge of tears because I can stop losing sleep over this. THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! Lots of good karma is headed your way! THANKS AGAIN!

Networking Expert
Baric

My pleasure, glad it's working for you and you can again feel the email love... ;-)

Regular Contributor

I was reading this solution to see if it would help me, tells me that account already exists, but in smart zone, not Mac mail.... What if I remove the account, then add....

My 1st question,I posted May1....

I only seem to get mail,in/out threw smart zone(ha)... Cannot open or close Mac mail... Light is on ,on dock. Cannot even force quit due to that option not being highlighted.....

OH. On the account page, the column on the left,you suggestion had comcast, then pop.... Mine has comcast, then comcast.net.... Cannot figure how to change that section.... Could that be where my problem is.....

Mac Expert
Joel

glitzbysuzi wrote:

OH. On the account page, the column on the left,you suggestion had comcast, then pop.... Mine has comcast, then comcast.net.... Cannot figure how to change that section.... Could that be where my problem is.....

You can name the accounts however you wish (see the link Baric posted for end-to-end set up instructions... with pictures), it appears from your post that you actually set up two differently named Comcast accounts. If Mac Mail has never worked for you (this is just another, IMO, easier way to not only access but manage your Comcast email account), I would delete both accounts (single-click to highlight the account on the left sidebar of the Accounts window, then click the " – " sign at the bottom of the window to remove. Repeat for the other account. Then, go to the following link and follow the instructions carefully to set up a Comcast email account in Mac Mail.

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/E-Mail-Help-Forum/Managing-your-Email-in-Mac-OSX/td-p/778503