Contributor
grusvag

Internet hanging up / stalling.

Can anyone offer any suggestions on solving an extrememly annoying problem we're having? All of our browsers frequenly hang-up or stall while trying to load a page. It's also doing the same thing when I try to upload and ftp files. I've read some similar posts saying it might have something to do with our wireless router and/or our cable modem. We're running Macs (a brand new iMac, an Intel Powermac, older PowerPC G5 Tower and an older Intell Powerbook G4. Our browsers and OS are up to date.

Motorolla SB5120 Cable Modem that we rent from Comcast.

Linksys RT31P2 Broadband Router for our Vonage service.

D-Link DI-524 Wireless Router.

Any help would be appreciated!

-John

Bronze Problem Solver
UHFhd

Re: Internet hanging up / stalling.

[ Edited ]

edit

Contributor
grusvag

UHFhd, how would that help with our uplodaing problems? Seems like it might be a modem or router issue.

Bronze Problem Solver
UHFhd

[ Edited ]

edit

Networking Expert
Weil

Your router has this note on its web site:

This product has been discontinued as of February 2008.

I would strongly suggest a new dual band n wireless router.  If you also might want wireless backup and ease of installation, then the Apple Airport Extreme would be a good choice.  Otherwise, I leave you in the hands of luck.

sam

Bronze Problem Solver
UHFhd

[ Edited ]

edit

Contributor
grusvag

Thanks for your suggestion UHFhd, will keep that in mind.

Sam, just because the router has been discontinued, does that mean it's not working properly? I did heard someone else say that when they disconnected their wireless router it solved a similar problem. Do you think our problem is being caused by our old wireless router and that a new one is the solution?

Networking Expert
Weil

grusvag wrote:

Sam, just because the router has been discontinued, does that mean it's not working properly? I did heard someone else say that when they disconnected their wireless router it solved a similar problem. Do you think our problem is being caused by our old wireless router and that a new one is the solution?

Some older wireless routers are extremely susceptible to wireless phones and other interfering devices.  Its age also makes it possible that it has failed in some way since I assume that it is quite old.  So, yes I assume that a new router might solve your problem and it would improve the speed of data transfers.

sam