Mac Expert
Joel

Next up: MAC Guard

from today's Apple Insider:

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/05/25/latest_mac_defender_malware_attacks_mac_os_x_without_p...

Like MAC Defender, MAC Guard is another trojan that one downloads from a site set up providing the user warning that they have been "infected." Unlike MAC Defender, however, this one does not require an admin password to install its payload if the user has Safari set to "Open Safe Downloads" (exactly how does Safari know what is safe anyway???). Again, it's a classic phishing operation that tries to scam credit card information in return for removing the "infection." The purveyors of this stuff are relying on social engineering methods, and with the large numbers of former Windows users now on the Mac platform, OSX is ripe for more of these types of attacks.

Bronze Problem Solver
Paraniod

Re: Next up: MAC Guard

[ Edited ]

Joel wrote:

from today's Apple Insider:

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/05/25/latest_mac_defender_malware_attacks_mac_os_x_without_p...

The purveyors of this stuff are relying on social engineering methods, and with the large numbers of former Windows users now on the Mac platform, OSX is ripe for more of these types of attacks.

Equally they might see people who pay over inflated prices for a compter system, as pretty good targets. Not sure how you can blame that on ex windows users....:smileylaugh:

Bronze Problem Solver
UHFhd

[ Edited ]

delete

Networking Expert
Baric

Paraniod wrote:
Equally they might see people who pay over inflated prices for a compter system, as pretty good targets. Not sure how you can blame that on ex windows users....:smileylaugh:

rolleyes.gif

So you're saying that since I "overpaid" for my MacBook Pro, I'm must be a gullible and unsophisticated computer user.  Huh.  I sense a flaw in that argument, but I'm too gullible and unsophisticated to puzzle it out...

Bronze Problem Solver
Paraniod

[ Edited ]

Baric wrote:

Paraniod wrote:

So you're saying that since I "overpaid" for my MacBook Pro, I'm must be a gullible and unsophisticated computer user.  Huh.  I sense a flaw in that argument, but I'm too gullible and unsophisticated to puzzle it out...

Not at all, just pointing out the danger of "sweeping statements" mine included....

Mac Expert
Joel

Paraniod wrote:

Not at all, just pointing out the danger of "sweeping statements" mine included....

The fact of the matter is, over the past few years (since the economy has tanked), Apple has been the only PC maker that has shown consistent growth in the industry. Those users haven't materialized out of thin air. In fact, if you subtract out all of the iOS devices, growth is still something like 170-180%. Call it whatever you want, when users move from one platform to another they bring with them the same habits and expectations. When presented with a warning that their machine might be infected, an ex-Windows user is more apt to believe such a warning than a long-time Mac user. That's as close to a fact as you're going to get.

Bronze Problem Solver
Paraniod

[ Edited ]

Well I still think it's ridiculous to blame Mac's new found security problems on ex windows users. The fact of the matter is, it's a victim of it's own success. The more popular it gets, the more people will be queuing up to exploit it.

No offence intended, just my humble opinion.....:smileygrin:

Networking Expert
Baric

I think Joel has a valid point, that is one contributing factor to the quick uptake of these trojans.  How significant is of course up to interpretation.  While I think we can all agree that it takes a certain level of gullibility for problems like this to arise, it's hard to say what caused that gullibility.  I've always been amazed and horrified how an otherwise intelligent, successful person can sit in front of a computer and turn into a brainless zombie with minimal reasoning and and deduction skills.  My experience is this is worse in Windows users than Mac users, largely I think because the more gullible will end up on Windows because of the sheer volume of "Windows is the only real choice"  marketing nonsense that has pervaded the industry for so long.  When these folks have problems (and they will due to bad user decisions), it's only natural some will think about moving to Macs to get away from these problems.  But they will bring their bad habits with them, and the same gullibility that caused problems on Windows will of course cause problems on their Macs.

I'd love to think that all Mac users were more discerning and savvy users and while that's true of a lot of them, as with anything else, we have our share of the clueless as well, and some of them came from Windows.

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

There are definitely a lot of fairly clueless longtime Mac users. But many of them readily admit their cluelessness and are also cautious about what they install including operating system updates.

Networking Expert
Weil

BethKatz wrote:

There are definitely a lot of fairly clueless longtime Mac users. But many of them readily admit their cluelessness and are also cautious about what they install including operating system updates.

Those who know what they are doing also wait a day or two before installing operating system updates.  The most recent 10.6.7 update had a minor bug that caused some files to not print and Apple took a week or so to fix it.    Let the vast majority test software before installing anything new on your computer.

sam

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

Sam, I agree. At least within my Apple user group, the history of those problems has helped people to develop that cautious-to-install attitude. It may help them.

Now have they been listening about not using their administrator account for day-to-day work? And are they heeding the advice to look in Safari > Preferences > General and uncheck the box to "open 'safe' files after downloading"? 

Mac Expert
Joel

Baric gets my point. For years, most have said that X wasn't a target for malware due to the lack of numbers on the platform. Now, not only are the numbers there but that growth has come at the expense of the Windows platform. I'm not blaming Windows user per se for the recent outbreak of Mac malware, it's just a convenient convergence of circumstances that have created the right environment for X to finally become exploitable on a large scale. Many of those Windows users moved to Mac because they believed the marketing hype that X is more secure than Windows. While you can debate the facts of that statement all you like, in reality no OS is completely invulnerable, and all users regardless of platform need to be security-conscious if their machine is connected to the internet ( and in some cases, even if it isn't, as the Iran nuke program found out with STUXNET :smileycool: )

Networking Expert
Weil

BethKatz wrote:

Sam, I agree. At least within my Apple user group, the history of those problems has helped people to develop that cautious-to-install attitude. It may help them.

BethKatz, I rely on you and your group to find and publicize the bugs.  Please tell them to update soonest as universities run such varied software as to find all kinds of undocumented features.

sam

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

Joel, I agree with you. It's been interesting watching people leave Mac to go to Windows and then come back. Or see people who swore that Macs were just toys now owning them.

It's lucky for the university IT department that this attack happened after school is out. It would be a mess with student machines where they click on anything. Our campus is a mix of Macs, Windows, and Linux.

My Apple user group has a much older and conservative demographic.