New Visitor
New Visitor

Norton Security for Lion

Norton's latest version supports Lion.  Any idea when it will be available through Comcast?

New Visitor
TJBowman

Re: Norton Security for Lion

[ Edited ]

The release versoipn is out (for $79).  What's the delay Comcast?  We're running naked over here!

Networking Expert
Baric

There's not a lot of urgency here, viruses are few and far between in the wild for Macs.  Just practice safe surfing and you will find that nude beach quite private ;-)

Regular Contributor
OriginalMacRat

Symantec software just consumes resources on your Mac with no benefit.

You don't want to install it.

New Visitor
TJBowman

LOL.  Been on more than a few nude beaches and the secret is that they are indeed safer than Coney Island.  I get that but in this case, is Comcast going to stake its reputation on that.  Just saying.... 

Networking Expert
Baric

Computer security is your responsibilty, not Comcast's.  While the free stuff from Comcast is nice, that doesn't mean it's one size fits all or that it's for everyone.  Like any other corporation, they want to cover as many users as cheaply as possible (this stuff isn't free to them), which usually means Windows.  For us Mac people, it hasn't been an issue up til now, no security besides a firewall was really necessary unless you did silly things (for which you deserve to get burned ;-).  If you believe that now is the time for a more proactive security solution like a virus scanner (I do not think it's time yet), don't wait for Comcast to agree with you, there are plenty of anti-virus systems for sale that are much cheaper and work better on a Mac than the lumbering covered wagon that is Norton.

Personally, I'd much rather they dropped all the little extras that take very expensive corporate resources like time, people and fees, and not make my monthly bill go up for all this "free" stuff.

Bronze Star Contributor

I have been asking for weeks now when the Lion version would be out and i get the "As soon as it is ready" answer. Well Norton has had it out for weeks, I had the beta for months with no problems, but it now expired. I wonder what they are up to with this?

Bronze Star Contributor

I have no idea why Comcast is delaying the release of the Lion version of the security suite, but as far as I am concerned I am paying for it and they should give us what we were told we would have. I can't get a straight answer from them so in my opinion they are no being straight forward with us.

Contributor

I too would like to know when Comcast will offer Norton Security v5 for Mac OS X Lion users...

Bronze Star Contributor

I contacted Comcast support numerous times with no definitive answer. As a temporary measure I installed Sophos antivirus, uses very little memory.

Mac Expert
Joel

joelw135 wrote:

I contacted Comcast support numerous times with no definitive answer. As a temporary measure I installed Sophos antivirus, uses very little memory.

Why would you consider this a "temporary measure?" If you feel that you need to use a 3rd-party security software in addition to Lion's built-in self-updating anti-malware feature (debateable), and your current solution, with which you seem happy, is not only free but consumes very little resources (and is highly rated) why trade for something that historically causes system instability, is a resouce hog, poorly rated and generally hated by the Mac community just because your ISP makes it available as a value-added feature of your internet service? 

What we've seen is that as the Mac community grows and more users switch from Windows, they bring with them many of the same habits and attitudes. Not saying that security isn't important; it is. However, just because your ISP makes a piece of software available to you (no, you're not paying for it, it's just a value addon to your service) doesn't mean that it is useful or appropriate for your system (toolbars come to mind here). In many cases, these softwares are promotional products and a way for partners of Comcast to get their wares into more customers' hands. That being said, each user must decide based on their own needs whether or not a program meets their needs, or is just some unnecessary additional download (that may actually do more harm than good).  

New Visitor

Joel:  I have some kinda worm in my comcast box sending out emails about vigara.  I downloaded ClamXav and attempted to follow your directions but I cannot find my pop email.  There is no mail folder in my library folder.  I have scanned everything and found nothing. 

New Visitor
js89

[ Edited ]

I recently got in contact with Norton's Mac department and they said the usual "it will take some time" bs for comcast to offer it. They also said that the current version comcast offers will work with Lion. (I'm hesitant on trying it).

Has anyone tried installing the current Comcast release on Lion?

Mac Expert
Joel

pullije wrote:

Joel:  I have some kinda worm in my comcast box sending out emails about vigara.  I downloaded ClamXav and attempted to follow your directions but I cannot find my pop email.  There is no mail folder in my library folder.  I have scanned everything and found nothing. 

Not sure by what you mean by "in your Comcast box." If your Comcast email account has been compromised, it's most likely been done at the server level, not at your machine level (if you are on a Mac anyway). You should immediately change your account password at comcast.net and also in Mail.app if you use it to manage your email account (recommended).

To get back to your question though. I wrote the Clam article quite a long time ago, and it's still a program I use on my machines. I like something unobstrusive and that uses little resources. I also trust that Lion's built-in malware protection is doing its job 24/7 as well. However, if I were to recommend additional protection to a Mac user who is less technically inclined, today I would probably lean towards Sophos AV for Mac Home Edition. It's got a more user-friendly GUI and is much easier to set up than ClamXav. You can find it here:

http://www.sophos.com/en-us/products/free-tools/sophos-antivirus-for-mac-home-edition.aspx

To answer the original question, in Lion the location of the Mail folders changed slightly (in fact, ~/Library is now hidden–use the Go menu in Finder to access it). They can now be found in ~/Library/Mail/V2.

Mac Expert
Joel

js89 wrote:

I recently got in contact with Norton's Mac department and they said the usual "it will take some time" bs for comcast to offer it. They also said that the current version comcast offers will work with Lion. (I'm hesitant on trying it).

Has anyone tried installing the current Comcast release on Lion?

I would never install a Norton product on one of my Macs, regardless of it being free. That is especially after personal experience here in these forums dealing with Mac users who went ahead and did install and dealt with myriad issues after doing so, which were resolved only after removing every instance of it from their machines. YMMV of course, but that is my years of personal experience here and my (what I consider to be) informed opinion.

New Visitor
TJBowman

Joel: I get it.  You hate Norton.  I also get it that you're an "Expert".  But being artlessly dismissive isn't very helpful.  To the user who got the advice from Comcast that the existing free version available "works with Lion": don't bother trying, it is completely incompatible.  

Bronze Star Contributor

I gave up depending on Comcast and Norton I went for the FREE Sophos Anti-Virus and Little Snitich as my outgoing firewall.

Regular Contributor
OriginalMacRat

TJBowman wrote:

Joel: I get it.  You hate Norton.  I also get it that you're an "Expert".  But being artlessly dismissive isn't very helpful.

Joel's post was very straight forward.

You should install at your own risk.

Contributor
cjaredscott

So, has anyone tried installing it yet?

Contributor
cjaredscott

I installed Sophos Anti-Virus free for Mac today, and it has been scaning for hours and still has about 1,098,600 files left to scan (and I am not running on a slow computer).

Contributor

Been running Sophos since I installed Lion, works just fine.

3 TBHD 2.25 tb for Lion and 750 gig for Snow Lepard with Norton

P.S. Initall scan takes a wile, you can set it up for what ever you want to.

Contributor
cjaredscott

Okay, I have it scanning my whole computer which only has about 125 GB. So, my will next scans be faster? Does it only scan which files change? I know it has the on-access scanning...

Contributor
cjaredscott

Wait, nevermind, it was scanning my Bootcamp drive too (for Windows 7). I just created a custom scan and that only scans my Mac and it only said something like 600,000 files and is going much faster.

But, has anyone tried this version of NIS for Mac?

Thanks

Contributor
iDaMan

pullije: ClamXav is pretty bad. I know because I tried it once.. Notice your computer also grind to a slow halt while scanning with ClamAV? I found that part horribly annoying, but I guess that's what I get for trying the free stuff. 

Not to make light of your situation, just saying you can't expect much from ClamXav.. your best bet is probably to get a more robust malware scanner or install firewall that's better than the default stuff that comes with Mac OS X.