New Visitor
VASDSL

Slow web loading with mac

Hi-

So I've read through some prior posts, but can't seem to glean what I should do.

I have a brand new mac book pro lap top, and recently got comcast internet. I find that on my old computer (a 7 year old mac book pro), I am able to load pages like gmail, facebook etc very quickly, while at the same time, my new computer stalls on the pages, and frequently drops things like the gchat connection.

I've tried clearing my browsing caches, as well as tried safari, firefox, and chrome, but all seem to have similar problems. It also seems that the problem occurs more frequently when both I and my roommate are online at the same time (meaning pages more frequently stall out or load slowly).

Its quite frustrating. I know other people have placed certain information about their modems etc, but I'm uncertain what to include. I also don't know if switching the IP and DNP? addresses are a safe thing to do?

Thanks

Networking Expert
Baric

Re: Slow web loading with mac

How is the new laptop connected to the router?  How about the old one? What are the exact TCP/IP ad DNS settings on both systems?  What router?

New Visitor
VASDSL

So both my old and new laptops connect to the wireless via the airport.

I did swap the IP addresses between the two computers, but this didn't seem to fix the issue.

New computer IP: 10.0.0.2

old computer IP: 10.0.0.8

DNS settings on new computer:

search domain: hsd1.or.comcast.net

Old computer: has no dns server listed.

the modem we just got from comcast when we signed up. Its xfinity and says SMCD3GNV on it.

Does this help?

Regular Contributor

try using the google DNS they are really fast

8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4

Regular Contributor
OriginalMacRat

In my opinion, Safari has slowed down a lot after a webkit update this summer.

You should try Chrome.

http://www.google.com/chrome

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

The OP said he had tried Chrome. And the OP posted in June. However, I've also found Chrome to be livelier.

I'd check whether you are really connecting to your router or someone else's router.

Regular Contributor

I second using the google DNS,  I use those on my mac and they are super fast loading

Connection Expert
EG

[ Edited ]

FWIW, using third party DNS rather than using the ISP's DHCP assigned DNS can cause problems/less than optimal performance with CDN based server/services such as streaming video like Netflix..

New Visitor
tfowl

Thanks for the google DNS!  I have had this problem on my mac for weeks now and this seems to have solved it!