New Visitor
OT_7

UPGRADE ERROR MESSAGE

mac 10.3.9 having trouble accessing Comcast.net getting a prompt to upgrade browser but already have the highest upgrd and i can not get through any Suggestions

Regular Contributor
OriginalMacRat

Re: UPGRADE ERROR MESSAGE

If you are wanting to use Safari, Apple is currently supporting Mac OS 10.5.x and 10.6.x. If your Mac can run 10.5, I would recommend upgrading by buying the DVD from a 3rd party retailer like MacMall or Mac-Pro.com as Apple Doesn't sell previous versions of the OS.

If you are using a 3rd party browser like, FireFox, you'll have to download the last build they put out before dropping support for PowerPC Macs this year.

10.5 requires at least a 867MHz G4. If your Mac is older than that, you should consider getting a new Intel Mac if you want to be able to browse today's JavaScript/Flash enabled web sites.

Networking Expert
Baric

That sounds like very good advice.

If getting a new Mac is in your future, Apple just came out a few days ago with new iMac models.  Tempting, they are ;-)

http://www.apple.com/imac/

Mac Expert
Joel

OT_7 wrote:

mac 10.3.9 having trouble accessing Comcast.net getting a prompt to upgrade browser but already have the highest upgrd and i can not get through any Suggestions

You're seeing the prompt because your version of OS X only supports v. 4 of Safari. The broswer-sniffing code in comcast.net (and many other modern web pages) looks for minimum versions of web browsers in order to offer their customers the best experience possible on the web. When sites are forced to support old technology, it holds them back from what they are able to do. Kinda like driving a Shelby Mustang with one foot on the gas and the other on the brake. This is why websites encourage users of old web browsers (IE6, Safari 4, Firefox < 3.6, etc.) to upgrade; it enables site developers to take advantage of the latest technologies and give their customers a great web experience.