Regular Contributor
Accepted Solution

WHERE IS MY MAC MAIL!?!?

Everything was fine UNTIL I asked Comcast why I wasn't getting a E-bill. Well. They were sending it to their "SmartZone"(HA), which I never used!

Now that is all I get! Cannot figure how to get back to my Mac mail. I cannot open Mail even thou the light says its on. Cannot close or even Quit ... And since I cannot close, I cannot get any software up-dates. Tells me to close mail!!!!

Only thing I like about comcast is that catchy song .....

Connection Dr. just keeps spinning......

Any new ideas!?

Please......

Networking Expert
Baric

Re: WHERE IS MY MAC MAIL!?!?

If you Mail app is stuck and won't shut down, then go to your Apple menu, and select Force Quit and force the Mail app to close.  I would then reboot just to clean up anything nasty, and attempt to open mail again.

SmartZone is simply Comcast's online portal to the mail servers.  If you use Mac Mail, there is no reason to touch SmartZone, just ignore its existence.

Regular Contributor

I cannot force quit mail! Beleive me, I tried!!!! I wish I could... thats why this is so mind bogling!!

I should never asked comcast to help... have not seen Mac mail since!

But I welcome ANY and ALL suggestions!!!!

Service Expert
Bartleby

What, exactly, did Comcast help you with? 

It doesn't sound like they physically tweaked your system in any way, based on what you posted.  All of your mail goes through the Comcast servers, before any client you would choose (like Mac Mail) would even have a chance to see it.  If the e-bill was available in SmartZone, but Mac Mail couldn't download it, maybe there's a problem related to the e-bill message itself.

When you said "Now that is all I get!", did you mean the only way you can access mail is by now using SmartZone, because you can't resolve your Mac Mail issue?

Have you tried just holding down the power button until your system shuts down?

If you are having issues with running or closing Mac Mail (or your system, in general), those problems aren't being caused by Comcast.

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

I just Force Quit my Mac Mail. No problem. 

Are you sure you are using Mac Mail? By "the light is on" do you mean the dot next to the Mac Mail icon on the dock? What happens if you double click the icon on the dock? 

MailIcon.jpg

Email Expert

While it's pretty unusual for Macs to get this confused, it does happen sometimes. You may need to reboot. And if it really can't force-quit Mail, the reboot may hang as well, so you might have to do it using the power switch. This should only be done as a last resort, but if Mail is really hung, it may be necessary.

Networking Expert
Weil

Barmar wrote:

While it's pretty unusual for Macs to get this confused, it does happen sometimes. You may need to reboot. And if it really can't force-quit Mail, the reboot may hang as well, so you might have to do it using the power switch. This should only be done as a last resort, but if Mail is really hung, it may be necessary.

Actually, the last resort for a desktop is to remove the power plug and for a laptop remove the battery and then the power cord. (grin- And I actually had to do it once, a long time ago.)  In any of these cases, including using the power switch, wait at least five minutes before restarting as some chips may take a while to drain their state.  Of course, modern chips may reset faster and I am merely showing my age. 

sam

Email Expert

I think that's overkill. Everything in memory gets reloaded from scratch during a reboot. Residual charge on chips is not likely to be a problem.

Service Expert
Bartleby

Nothing wrong with the belt and suspenders approach, though.

And don't ask me to dig the references up again, but I've seen Apple resources that talked about the need to make sure the system really had stopped sucking power after a forced shutdown--prior to restarting.

Why?  Ask Steve Jobs.... :smileywink:

Email Expert

If you don't mind waiting 5 minutes, sure, go ahead. But in my 15+ years of using Macs, I've never had to do that. Of course, I've only encountered situations that even required a reboot to resolve at most 5 or 6 times a year.

Service Expert
Bartleby

Too bad the OP isn't in the same boat, apparently.

And I hear you as far as the waiting game after disconnecting power.  I rarely find it's necessary, even when I need to force a router or modem reset.

Now to see if the OP ever comes back.  I get the feeling we are just chatting amongst ourselves, at this point.  But nothing all that new, there.  (Except for my rare appearance on this board.)

Regular Contributor

Nothing!!!

Service Expert
Bartleby

[ Edited ]

glitzbysuzi wrote:

Nothing!!!

That's really all you have to say in response to what's been provided?

I think I'll leave you to using SmartZone, if you can't be more responsive.  We certainly were.

EDIT:  I'll guess that "Nothing" was in response to my first question about what Comcast helped you with.  But we can't provide much more help, with responses like your last one, though we've tried.  Tongue in cheek...maybe you should just toss the computer and buy another one, or take it in to a repair shop.  Bet they can get mail working for you in no time.  (So could we, I wager, if you were more cooperative.)

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

glitzbysuzi wrote:

Nothing!!!

You have not said what you tried or really explained what you are trying to do.

We are volunteer customers like you who are trying to help. You need to use more words and explain what you tried.

Regular Contributor

Sorry for the delay in responding... 

you suggested I shut down, well... again it tells me to close mail before it will let me close down. And I cannot open mac mail(light is on)never mind close it, or even force quit... that option is not highlighted to let me click.....

I see someone sugests something about the battery, I'm going to read his......sugestion

Regular Contributor

I have never used a Help Site before. I am truly sorry for that short responses both have really tried to help. I have a laptop, 13" MacBook....

For awhile after "comcast" helped me.... I had NO mail anywhere... So I made a appointment at the app store.... Said they don't really help with this problem..... She tried and did get my mail going threw comcast.... After 5 days, I had over 400 messages waiting for me..... Not even sure she knew where they were going to go.... 

I have done nothing since, but am getting fed-up... I want my MacMail back....

Keep getting a pop-up for up-grades, need to close mail before I can upload them....

Cannot attach photos to mail, etc,etc,etc!!!

Networking Expert
Baric

I am as confused as ever as to what you are trying to say.  Your non-standard writing style with all the ellipses is difficult to follow and you don't really explain exactly what is happening on your computer.

Is Mail running?  Can you use it?  In other words can you see the Mail window and when you click on things does it respond?  Or is there simply no window at all?  If you simply want to close Mail, and it won't respond to Mail -> Quit Mail, then try Force Quit by going to the Apple menu (you know the little black apple to the far left on the menu bar) and select Force Quit..., select the Mail application in the list of running applications and then press the pulsing Force Quit button in the lower right of the dialog.  The application should be summarily terminated and no longer show as running in the Dock (ie. there is no little white fuzzy dot under the Mail icon).  It may take up to a minute or so for this to work.

Regular Contributor

When I click on the stamp, in the dock, nothing happens, except tool bar does appear.

So I can get to pref, etc. Force Quit Mail is not highlighted on the drop down menu, so I cannot use it. so no up-dates.

Connection DR just keeps spinning and says waiting to check.

My mail is only running in "smartmail"

I think tomorrow,I will make sure I am completely backed up, and try the battery disconnect.....

Regular Contributor

Hi again, I did get to "force quit",it asked if I wanted to quit mail. I thought I needed the "quit mail".

So while it was closed, I got in the updates(5), just incase.... I can now open and close mail. tried a test E-mail to me, no success... will work on settings, tho they all look fine. But something must be wrong. Apple news under rules has come threw, everything else has gone to SmartZone....

Thank you for where you brought me so far.

I will welcome any and all suggestions for my next step. 

Networking Expert
Baric

[ Edited ]

What exactly do you mean by no success?  What did you do and how do you know it didn't work?  If there was an error message, what was it exactly?

As far as setup goes, Joel's Mac Mail setup guide has all the settings you need.  Simply replace your own userid, name, email address and password for the dummy values he has listed.  That thread is:

Managing your Email in Mac OSX

In your Mail window, in the left hand pane, there should be a list of configured accounts listed under Inbox, one for each email account you have defined.  Is there a little icon just to the right of any of those account names?  If so, what does it look like and if you hover the mouse over it, what does it say in the little popup tooltip box?

Sometimes when things don't work, it's just best to start fresh by deleting the problem account and creating a new one from scratch.  To do that, follow these instructions:

1. Create a new folder under "On My Mac" in the left hand pane, then select the problem account, and move all messages you wish to keep into the newly created folder by selecting and dragging them to the new folder.  This is required because when you delete the account, its inbox is deleted with all messages it currently contains.
  2. Open up Mail -> Preferences -> Accounts
  3. Select the problem account and press the "-" button in the lower left corner and confirm by pressing the pulsing Remove button in the dropdown box.
  4. Then simply follow Joel's instructions to add a new account.
  5. When the new account is in place and working, it will download all the messages from your SmartZone inbox down into Mac Mail.  You can also drag your saved messages from the folder created in Step 1 into the newly created account's Inbox, if you like.  They may be duplicates of what you download, but you will have to decide what to keep and what to throw away. 

Regular Contributor

Well, what I did I guess doesn't matter now. Your response went to "SmartZone"

I went threw Joels, I did not realize To replace @ dummy values.... then what?

Do it again @ my id stuff?

Networking Expert
Baric

I made an edit to my post above with instructions on deleting the non-working account and creating a new one.

Regular Contributor

That makes sense.

It tell me I will lose all messages, To be safe, I need to back-up ...

Tomorrow.

Right now, I need some sleep.

Will keep you updated on my progress.

Thank you for you help. 

Suzi

Networking Expert
Baric

Have a good night.  I'm off to Tol Barad to see what trouble I can get into...

Regular Contributor

Thank you... will do as soon as I get home from work..... I hope. Fridays get crazy here!

But, I WILL keep you informed.

Suzi

Regular Contributor

Hi Baric,

I was going to start this create new account, but when starting, I can not highlight "On my mac" in mail.

Right then and there,I said, better to do this in a.m. over coffee. Looong day and guests just left.

There really are no messages I need to save anyways...

Talk to you tomorrow. Thank you!

Suzi 

Networking Expert
Baric

You can't select ON MY MAC in the  left hand pane, all the top level items are gray.  When you click on the + in the lower left hand corner to create a new Mailbox, just make sure it says On My Mac in the Location field.

But if there's nothing you need to save, then just go ahead and delete the account.

Mac Expert
Joel

To reiterate what Baric said, if you have messages in Mac Mail that you want to save, just edit the information for the existing account rather than delete and add a new account. This way, your messages will be saved. When following the instructions, read them carefully and do one step at a time. If you're confused, read through the instruction more than once and look at the accompanying photo. The appropriate settings are circled so you know what info goes where.

Regular Contributor

Hi Joel,  

I did cancel my account and added another. In Accounts and under "account information",

my outgoing server says Comcast(offline). My knowledge is not enough(null) to put it back on line.

I went to mailbox, connection dr.

What is your advise, please

Suzi

Networking Expert
Baric

[ Edited ]

It sounds as if you are somehow entering incorrect information in one of the account setup dialogs.  The easiest way we can help here is if we see what you have configured.  What I recommend is you take screenshots of each of the dialogs you used to enter information and post them here in a reply.  Do you by chance know how to take a screen shot on your Mac?  If not see this link. Pay particular attention to Command-Shift-4 as all wee need at the dialogs in question, not the whole desktop each time.  Once you have the images, click on the little Tree icon when you reply here and provide the filename of where you saved the image, insert them one at a time.

Please read your private messages (the little red envelope at near the top of the forum...).

Regular Contributor

I followed the link, been taking screenshot, says it cannot save because "unable to make type string"?

I also sent a private message.

This is getting more involved then my computer knowledge. Whish is not alot. all my friends have PC's... they are No help> So I really do appreicate all this help!

What is a type string and how do I make it able to do it, so I can add these pics?! 

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

When you take a screenshot, a file should be left on your desktop with a name that starts with Screen shot 2011-05-....png.

It sounds like something weird is happening on your machine. Someone in the Apple discussion lists suggests this:

Usually means your preferences are mucked up. Move the com.apple.screencapture.plist from

username/Library/Preferences/ folder onto the Desktop, restart, and try doing a screen capture.

If that fixes things, delete the moved file. If not, report back.

Could you please let us know what Mac you have, what OS you are running, and which web browser you are using? You can find the first two under the grey/black Apple at far upper left of the screen and About This Mac. Thank you.

Regular Contributor

what you want me to move to the desktop,I have not heard of, but will go to the library and look and try....

My mac is  Mac OS X 10.6.7

2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Regular Contributor

Beth Katz,

found my way to library, preferences, alot of com.apple.....plist, none with the label you wrote..the word"screencapture" was not in any of them?

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

Hmmm. I posted that without checking whether I have such a preferences file. It turns out that I don't and you may not either.

It may be easiest to try to find it using the column view of the Finder window. Whenever I go into preferences, I grab the little expander bars at the bottom of the scroll to make the righmost column wider. So the area I was looking in looked like this:

ScreenShotPreference.png

Thank you for the OS info.

Regular Contributor

I found it.... Of course the last column was not alphabetical...

Moved it to desk top, took screenshot, and up pops Cannot Save, "unable to create type setting"

I've been at this most of the day, I'm tired, my husband keeps giving me the "look".

So frustratingly I have learned so much. I will ck again on your reply to this

new development. 

Regular Contributor

I forgot the RESTART you told me to do, IT WORKED!! It saved the picture!!

Guess that is good news.

W/O mac mail I have not been abble to attatch, I will take some pics and try.

I am getting pretty tired.. tried that in last message, but they would not let me use word p--ped,

Let me go take some pics

Regular Contributor

#4.png#3.png#1.pnghere we go... I'll try#0#2.png

looks like I did it, not quite like E-bay or craigs-list.

This took ALOT of work for alot of us...Please let this help!

What else can you use screenshots for!? Now that I know how!!

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

At least we're making progress. Maybe. I understand about spouses getting frustrated with computer problems. These machines should just work.

I'm still thinking the problem with Mail is something really obvious that we are overlooking.

You could get into SmartZone and see your email. Could you go there, and move all the mail that is in your InBox into a folder? Then can you send yourself an email and see if it gets to you in Mac Mail? If that works, you can slowly put messages into the InBox.

My thinking is that there's a message that is stuck. Perhaps the Comcast person who helped you at first when you asked about your bill had you do something (I'm not sure what) that changed something about your file settings and what would be recognized. The problem with the screen shots might have been another symptom.

It's getting late and is time for bed.

Regular Contributor

WAY TOO SMALL... No #0.pngone told me that...  lets try a Med

Regular Contributor

Better#1.png

Regular Contributor

#4.pngneed lg#1.png, only 1 at a time?#2.png

Regular Contributor

Thank you, and goodnite also!  I really hope the pics help, if they need to be larger, let me know.

I'll ck in over coffee.

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

[ Edited ]

I can't read the pictures. It looks like you chose "small" when including them here. But they are uploaded. 

And you figured out how to make them big. Good. But I'm going to bed. More in morning.

You can reply to my message, click the tree icon, and use the Choose From Uploaded Images tab as shown below. Click on the itty-bitty image. It will appear bigger. Leave the images full size. Click Insert Image.

uploadedImages

Mac Expert
Joel

suzi,

can you please let us know if your Mac is connected directly to a cable modem, or if there is a router between your Mac and the modem. If so, we may need to remove the router from the equation until we get this figured out. If not, then disregard.

One more question, is your firewall (System Preferences>>Security>>Firewall) turned On, or do you have any 3rd-party firwewalls (i.e. Little Snitch) active that could be blocking Mail's ability to pass data?

Contributor
HoustonMidtown

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

Houston, that's a link to good instructions, but we've already directed her to instructions with pictures, and as best I can tell from the screen shots, it looks like the settings are right.

So there must be something else happening. That's what Joel is trying to explore.

I'm going to need to step away at this point. I have too many other commitments that have to get done.

Regular Contributor

Hi Joel,

My husband has kept me pretty busy all AM. Kelly's Landing's is SO good!! My favorite!

Yes, there is a router between Mac and the modem.Thought I had to have router for access to internet!?

And my firewall is on. There is no 3rd party.

As for Houstons input, I have tried that. Thank you.

Do I need to insert pics larger for you?

Regular Contributor

Hi BethKatz,

I want to thank you for ALL your help. Hope your having a wonderful Mothers Day!

Suzi

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

Suzi, thank you. It's been a busy day, but there's other stuff that's keeping me even busier. This is a volunteer customer-to-customer help forum, and I have only so much time.

The settings you have look okay, so it looks like something else must be happening. That's why Joel asked about a router and firewall. That's getting out of my areas of expertise. 

Did we see what happened when you tried to connect to the Comcast server from Mac Mail? And then tried Window > Connection Doctor? Mine looks like this:

Screen shot 2011-05-08 at 7.54.26 PM.png

Another thing to check is whether there is some file that Mac Mail isn't reading cleanly from the Comcast server. If you could log in to SmartZone and move all the messages that are in your InBox into a folder and then send yourself a message, do you then get it? If that works, move messages into your InBox from the folder. 

If that didn't work, you can try what Joel suggested. If you have a cable modem connected to a router connected to your Mac, let's try to take the router out to try to narrow down where the problem is. To do that, turn everything off, and remove the cable coming from the cable modem to the router from the router. Connect that cable to the Mac instead. Then, turn on the cable modem. Let the signal settle. Then turn on the Mac and let it boot and settle. Then log in and get totally logged in. Then launch your web browser and see that you can get to the internet. Then launch Mail.

Please report back what you see. The other guys can jump in here to help.