Regular Contributor

Re: WHERE IS MY MAC MAIL!?!?

Hi BethKatz!

I was just coming on to tell you and Joel,

I HAVE MY MAC MAIL!!

Happened only bout a hour ago, while on phone to Mom.

With all the help from you and Joel, I went threw and did everything all over again.

Connection Dr. could not connect...So that got me digging. As it turned out, in Keychain, I had 2

comast.mail and 4 smtp!

I deleted 3 of smtp and 1 of the other. Made sure passwords matched and were the same in

Preferences! How dumb was that!!  Dumba-s! NEVER thought that was the problem.

Now I am getting mail in BOTH mac mail and SZ.. Have to figure that out.. is this a no-brainer too?

Probally not for me. Any Idea?

So now you guys,when someone posts a problem like this, assume they are just as dumb and have screwed up

passwords! Save Everyone Time!!!

I will continue going threw Keychain and check every login password!!

Without all your time and patience, I'd still be stuck in the "SZ", which really does @#%@!

You 2 brought me into places on my Mac, well, I'm sure I will need and use the knowledge alot.

Thank you so VERY VERY MUCH ! For ALL of you that helped, THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

I am Leaving this site a more educated Mac user!!(was pc only 8 months ago), there are not enough

"Thank you" Suzi

Regular Contributor

Hi Joel,

Just wanted to let you know I posted a thank you post to you and BethKatz.

THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

Suzi

Regular Contributor

Hi Baric!

I HAVE MY MAC MAIL!!!

I posted a Thank you to all who helped.

You taught me so much! Never even heard of "screenshot", now I can do it !

You had me digging and searching, and from that, I found the problem!

Operator Error!! DUH...

Thank you, Suzi

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

Suzi, yeah, you figured it out!

Checking your keychain for multiple passwords to the same site is a good idea. But you would think that the one you had in Mail would be the one being used to fetch mail.

Anyway, congratulations on getting it working! 

Networking Expert
Baric

Glad you got it going, congrats.  Sorry I haven't checked back, I've been distracted by real life ;-).

Networking Expert
Baric

Beth, I think she had multiple SMTP accounts setup, probably similar but with bad passwords which would account for the multiple entires in the keychain.  The screen shots were very hard to read due to the size, but one showed the SMTP server as "(offline)"... I think.  If that list were dropped down, it might have shown multiple similar entries and I think that's what she cleaned up.

Regular Contributor

Hi guys,

Yes, I had 2 comast and 4 smpt, mostly same passwords. (Sorry,pics were so small.) I deleted 1 comcast,

and 3 smpt and made sure incoming and outgoing had same password.

Back in keychain, I have gone through login, security, and passwords one at a time. Two said not trusted, 

I deleted.

Certificates, I left alone, espically since I know nothing about them.

Still have to open Smart zone to delete mail there. Looking and working on getting no mail there.

But, It is so nice reading my mail again w/o all the ads and looking like it was written on a typewriter!

Again, Thank you all for leading me through each step.

Oh yea, I have another question. What size ? should I get for backing up my Mac?

I have tons of pictures. 

I want to make sure I get that done, some say 2GB,4GB. and T? All Greek to me. I once lost stuff on my

PC, and NEVER want to go through that again!

Thank you, Suzi

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

Go with at least a 1 TB disk for archival backup.

We also use Time Machine for incremental backups. One machine uses a 1 TB disk and the other two share a 2 TB disk.

Regular Contributor

Thank you, will try and buy later today, what should I expect to pay? Just so I know I'm not getting ripped.

Networking Expert
Weil

[ Edited ]

A USB2 hard drive costs between one and two hundred dollars for a Macintosh from a reputable online store such as Mac Connection or where-ever.  Any such drive should be reformatted as they normally come set up for a pc.  This is done with the appropriately named  "Disk Utility" in your Applications/Utilities subfolder.

See

http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/formatting_hd_mac_stone.html

for general instructions.

I own a 500 gbyte version of this drive:

http://www.macconnection.com/IPA/Shop/Product/Detail.htm?sku=12571564&cac=Result

Be very careful not to select your own startup disk.

sam

Regular Contributor

Hi Sam,

OUCH!! Not sure I can do that for awhile. Will save links.

But, thank you.

Suzi

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

Check places like Best Buy, Staples, and Office Max for when they are on sale.

For example, Best Buy has a Seagate 1 TB portable hard disk for $120.

With Father's Day coming up, there might be deals. Maybe not. 

Networking Expert
Weil

glitzbysuzi wrote:

Hi Sam,

OUCH!! Not sure I can do that for awhile. Will save links.

But, thank you.

Suzi

The 750 gb drive in the link is $90 plus about 10 for shipping (or also buy a thumb drive for 10 and get shipping free like I did).  The 500 gb drive that I have had for a while is $73 and should be sufficient capacity for most people.

In my area, the 9% sales tax means that on-line is about the same price as Best Buy for these items.

If your Mac User file is less than 8 gigabytes, then copy it to a $10, 8 gigabyte thumb drive.  This saves all of your personal information leaving your applications behind.

sam

Networking Expert
Baric

I agree with Beth, get nothing less than a 1TB drive, 2TB is you can afford it.  While a lot of pictures can eat up some space, the real size monsters are audio and video files like songs and movies/tv shows.  They can be huge and total size balloons very fast.

I use a SATA drive dock on my system.  It looks like a little black box with a slot on top where you insert a SATA drive, either desktop or laptop form factors.  I just stick in a drive and it mounts and is usable.  The dock goes for like $25 and the bare drives are $60 for a 1TB drive and $80 for 2TB, etc.  Prices vary, the above are round figures from Newegg.com (what a great online store, love it).

Networking Expert
Weil

for Baric and glitzbysuzi:

The size and type of drive depends upon the needs of the user.

I do not save tv shows or movies on my computer.  I own some dvds instead.  My spouse and I recently flew to another city for a family get together and we took her laptop with a clone of my entire hard drive with us using the rugged, portable drive that I  mentioned.  If my house had burned down, the data would have been safe with me.  (I also left a clone of the laptop at home on an external 200 gigabyte drive.)  So the one terabyte is temporarily useful for data collectors and probably not for permanent storage.

I recommend checking the size of your computer hard drive and determining whether or not you have extra data that needs to be saved (such as movies).  I also recommend deciding whether you require a portable data receptacle.

sam

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

We keep two backups off-site on portable drives. We've had too many hard disks crash over the years.

I often make backups of batches of photos to CD just because it's easy.

I like the suggestion of a big flash drive. Quick, easy, portable.

Regular Contributor

To BethKatz,Baric and Sam,

So much valuable info! I like the quick,easy and portable. My neighbor is a PC repair geek, 

so I am going to have him read these, translate to layman's terms for me, then take him with

me when I go to buy. He knows nothing about Mac's(bad for me),but is always there to help,on PC's.

My husband is still a PC.

I am going to let Kevin read ALL the replys to my post! He wants to learn Mac repair.

I sure learned a lot! No practicing on my laptop tho!

Thanks again everyone!!!

Suzi

Regular Contributor

Hi Sam,

I just left a message.

I will not be saving tv or movies iether. I don't ever have music. I leave that to my husband.

All info has been very hepful!

Thank you Suzi

Regular Contributor

Hi Baric,

Just left a message fot you ,Beth, and Sam. That will tell you what I am going to do with all this

back-up memory. To bad it won't work on me!

Thank you, Suzi 

Networking Expert
Baric

The suggestion of a flash drive is great IF you can fit all you want to save on one.  They come in different memory sizes and are extremely portable (about the size of a pack of gum).  Just bear in mind they are more expensize per GB in the larger sizes than a typical hard drive.  I would get your geek friend to help you determine how much space you need for the backup and from there decide what's the best option for you.  While I haven't tried it, you might be able to setup a flash drive as the target drive in Time Machine, which would be convenient.

Networking Expert
Weil

glitzbysuzi

For your friend and you

Open your hard disk and scroll down to the folder labeled Users:

Open it and you will see a folder with an icon that looks like a house.

Select that folder and do a Get Info by going under the File icon at the top left of the page.

The page that comes up should have a Size listed which is the size of all of your personal data.  This folder contains your mail, your web urls, settings for all of your programs, and all of your personal files.  It is all that must be saved to protect yourself.  As I said, it should be less than 8 gb.  (Buy one that rotates or something and not one with a plastic cap that will get lost or put it in a plastic sandwich bag after loading it for physical protection.  Time Machine is only necessary for those who worry about losing the last two hours of computer use.)

sam

Regular Contributor

Hi Sam, 

I meant to get back to you earlier. Got busy with work, etc

Good advise. And this is probally easy, open hard disk? Spent some time looking, duh.. 

I understand the rest.

Thanks, Suzi

Regular Contributor

found it Sam! In utilities!