New Visitor
wearefamily3

removing comcast Default search function on mac firefox

I want to get rid of the default setting on my Mac in Firefox.  When I type in any word in the field for searching on my firefox browser the window automatically defaults to comcasts search engine.  i want it to open with google or yahoo. 

I already tried to search for comcast in my about.config setting and it wasnt there.

How do I change this feature?

thank you.

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

Re: removing comcast Default search function on mac firefox

Look at this page:

http://www.firefoxfacts.com/2008/01/13/change-default-search-in-firefox/

You can at least see what the default search engine is and change it there. Note that this uses about:config but does not search for Comcast. It searches for the setting, and you then change it. You need to restart Firefox after changing that setting.

It may be that your problem is something else such as installing the Comcast.net toolbar and using that search instead of the Firefox search.  I don't know how the toolbars work.

But start with checking in about:config.

Mac Expert
Joel

Unless you installed something that would allow for Comcast to be a search engine (frankly, I didn't even know they had a plugin available, unless, like Beth suggested, you installed a toolbar - which you should never do), Comcast shouldn't even be an option for returning search results.

Picture 6.png

Email Expert

BethKatz wrote:

It may be that your problem is something else such as installing the Comcast.net toolbar and using that search instead of the Firefox search.  I don't know how the toolbars work.

But start with checking in about:config.

I didn't realize Comcast made that abomination for Macs. But I just checked the download page, and indeed they do.

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

I was just trying to understand the OP's problem.

I don't use toolbars.

I didn't think Comcast had a search engine.

Mac Expert
Joel

They should call them what they really are: browser hijackers.

Contributor

I wonder if the OP means this:

My old modem was through Adelphia before we were taken over by Comcast. I recently got a new modem (all owned, not rented) and when it was provisioned, it now shows for  DNS "search domains" on network info: hsd1.vt.comcast.net

If I'm typing something into the location bar, and have a typo that doesn't resolve to a real site, I end up at a page that starts: http://search2.comcast.com/...

Changing it doesn't seem to do anything.

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

Absurdity, thank you for that suggestion. Could be. 

Email Expert

Absurdity, that search page is Comcast's Domain Helper service, which you can disable at Customer Central.

I doubt the OP was talking about the search domains in Network Preferences, since he specifically mentioned the Firefox search box.

Contributor

Barmar, I didn't know the thing existed until I had a typo in Firefox.

Checking settings for another reason in Network Prefs showed me the origin, and the timing is exactly that of the new modem.

Thanks for the way to get rid of it!