Contributor
Accepted Solution

Adding Weather Gadgets and Other Buttons to Website

I have gone to some websites that add buttons or gadgets to my website.  The site generates the HTML code and I paste it into my PWP with the Comcast tool.

It initially appears on my website as HTML formatted text with the "<>"'s.  If I go back and look at the page with the PWP tool, the button may appear, but when I upload it again and go back to look at my web page, there is nothing there.  And then, when I go back and look at it in the PWP tool, nothing is visible (although I think there is invisible HTML code there).

Suggestions?

Thanks.

ac

Bronze Problem Solver

Re: Adding Weather Gadgets and Other Buttons to Website

Driftwood904 wrote:

I have gone to some websites that add buttons or gadgets to my website.  The site generates the HTML code and I paste it into my PWP with the Comcast tool.

It initially appears on my website as HTML formatted text with the "<>"'s.  If I go back and look at the page with the PWP tool, the button may appear, but when I upload it again and go back to look at my web page, there is nothing there.  And then, when I go back and look at it in the PWP tool, nothing is visible (although I think there is invisible HTML code there).

Suggestions?

Thanks.

ac

The PWP tools are very limited. The tool strips out many tags including javascript and embed tags. If you want to insert these types of tags, stop using the PWP tool then create your pages, including any html and javascript you need, on your computer. Then upload your pages including the widgets etc to upload.comcast.net using any ftp client. Your widgets will then work.

Contributor

Thanks for your response.  My only issue is that I am a "newbie" and "create your pages, including any html and javascript you need, on your computer" is somewhat of a mystery to me. 

Are there any free novice-friendly programs you would recommend?

Looking at HTML code, it is not something I want to get into very deeply, but I expect there are user-friendly apps to help with that.

Should I consider getting springing for a "real" web-site host?

Thanks.

ac

Bronze Problem Solver

[ Edited ]

Driftwood904 wrote:

Thanks for your response.  My only issue is that I am a "newbie" and "create your pages, including any html and javascript you need, on your computer" is somewhat of a mystery to me. 

Here are excellent tutorials

http://www.w3schools.com/

Are there any free novice-friendly programs you would recommend?

Looking at HTML code, it is not something I want to get into very deeply, but I expect there are user-friendly apps to help with that.

There are many third party authoring tools. Many posters here are using Kompozer. If you search this forum you'll find many other recommendations and links to tools.

Should I consider getting springing for a "real" web-site host?

I, as have many here, have done that. If all you want is a basic site the Comcast PWP will work. If you want to create an interactive site including server-side scripting and a backend database you should opt for a hosting company. Comcast's basic PWP does not allow server-side scripting nor does it allow you to create a database for your site.

Thanks.

ac

Message Edited by FishMan on 11-07-2009 09:15 AM
Contributor

Thanks.  I'm going to consider this "Problem Solved", although my underlying issues of ignorance and lack of a decent host remain as works in progress.

Not sure what "server-side scripting and a backend database" are exactly, but from looking at the  http://www.w3schools.com/ home page, I think I will soon enough.

Appreciate your help.

Have a good weekend.

ac

Bronze Problem Solver

Driftwood904 wrote:

Thanks.  I'm going to consider this "Problem Solved", although my underlying issues of ignorance and lack of a decent host remain as works in progress.

Not sure what "server-side scripting and a backend database" are exactly, but from looking at the  http://www.w3schools.com/ home page, I think I will soon enough.

Appreciate your help.

Have a good weekend.

ac

Interactive pages most often require processing to occur at the server when a page is accessed. Comcast does not allow this server-side scripting on their web servers. If your page is informational only, or if the only scripting is client-side (i.e. occuring in the browser) then the Comcast PWP will work for you. PHP is server-side, javascript is client-side scripting. If you are collecting or storing information through your page or site you will need a database on the server to store that information. Comcast PWP does not allow you to create that database.

If you have any more questions just come on back. There are many knowledgeable people here who will gladly help you.

Contributor

3 minutes on this forum is much more helpful than 3 hours on the phone with Comcast.  Those people are totally unhelpful.  It would be much better if they would just tell you up front that it is not their job and they don't know.

I downloaded Kompozer 0.8*, but am having problem getting it to execute.  I extracted to a "Kompozer" directory.  Don't know if this is a glitch w/ 0.8*.  Saw some complaints about this on Cnet.  I could drop back to a 0.7* version that I found.

I double clicked and created a shortcut to Kompozer.exe.  Just a flash of hourglass.  Checked in Task Manager and it does not seem to be hung up or running in the background.

Contributor

Try www.weebly.com for a free web page.  It is also limited but far exceeds what Comcast allows.