Bronze Star Contributor

Can I Use My PWP Without the Comcast Template?

Hello all.

I used to just use my PWP as file storage way back in the beginning of the feature. Then a couple of years ago Comcast changed significantly the way that PWP worked. During the big changover someone posted back to me here that if I had tried to recreate my web pages by using the new (at the time) Comcast template that I was stuck with that and cold no longer manage my pages with my own HTML, nor with another web page utility. Something about once the Comcast template installed its own index page it was there for good. So I pretty much abandoned my PWP as I never wanted to even see that horrible template that Comcast provided.

I just stopped in to see what's going on with PWP and it looks like people are once again able to manage their PWPs independent of the Comcast page builder junk. True? If so, do I need to do anything in particular to get rid of the Comcast template junk that was installed when I made the mistake back then of trying to see what the new Publish tool did?

Thanks for any advice.

Jim 

--
J-Mac
Web Page Expert
lead5alpha

Re: Can I Use My PWP Without the Comcast Template?

You can author your pages on your work station with any 3rd party html editor. Your main page should be named index.html or index.htm. These are the file names associated with your web address http://home.comcast.net/~username/ There are a few other names that work but you need to use one of the accepted ones so that the comcast server associates the file with your web address. This file will then be the one served up instead of the comcast built page. The server is case sensitive so 64IMPALA.html is not the same page as 64impala.html or any other combo of upper and lower case letters.

There are three ways you can upload your pages. You can use an ftp client to upload your web files to upload.comcast.net. There are free ftp clients available such as CoreFTP LE. The upload address for an ftp client is upload.comcast.net Also windows has one built into it . Just open a Windows Explorer window (not Internet Explorer) and type ftp://upload.comcast.net into the address window. Your folder on the server will open after you enter username and password. Open a second Windows Explorer window and drag your web files to the server.  There are ftp clients for MACs also.

Many web authoring programs have a publisher built into it. You may be able to upload with the web authoring program. Usually the upload address for built-in publishing programs is ftp://upload.comcast.net instead of upload.comcast.net.

Finally you can use Comcast's file manager. Go to https://publish.comcast.net/ You can upload files there but you have an 8mb upload limit and you have to mark each file as public. It is kind of slow and clunky to use.

Files uploaded by the first two methods are marked public by default and there is not a limit on file upload size for ftp.

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

If you tried to use the Comcast PWP tool and already had a page, the Comcast tool probably moved your index.html (or similarly named file) to one with a filename that starts with index and ends in html but has a timestamp in the middle.

If you go into the Comcast File Manager, you can change that file's name back to index.html. Then reload your page in your web browser, and you'll probably see your original page. The web browser may have cached the Comcast built page, so you may need to use:

http://home.comcast.net/~username/index.html

to get to it or maybe clear the cache. But you should be able to restore your pages.

The customers have learned many workarounds in the past couple of years of using (and avoiding) the Comcast PWP tools. We'll share as much as we can. 

Bronze Star Contributor

bethkatz wrote:

If you tried to use the Comcast PWP tool and already had a page, the Comcast tool probably moved your index.html (or similarly named file) to one with a filename that starts with index and ends in html but has a timestamp in the middle.

If you go into the Comcast File Manager, you can change that file's name back to index.html. Then reload your page in your web browser, and you'll probably see your original page. The web browser may have cached the Comcast built page, so you may need to use:

http://home.comcast.net/~username/index.html

to get to it or maybe clear the cache. But you should be able to restore your pages.

The customers have learned many workarounds in the past couple of years of using (and avoiding) the Comcast PWP tools. We'll share as much as we can. Thanks Beth

Thanks Beth.
Odd that I cannot see the Comcast page when I look in my directory using FTP. I currently have a page up w/my DVD collection, which has several linked pages - summaries and a details page for each DVD. That is at my site using just "../index.html" at the end of the URL. However when I then add "site" to that, as in "../index.html/site", I see the old Comcast junk from their template. (BTW, I learned about that from one of your posts in a different thread! TY!) I cannot see the "site" subdirectory using FTP, so the Comcast pages must be in a hidden directory. You say that I can see them only if I use the Comcast File Manager? Don't think I've used that before. (Sounds like much fun...Not!)
What I am hoping to accomplish is to upload a new home page with a navbar on it and link to my DVD collection pages from there. Also, to then be able to upload other pages/subdirectories for other things I may want to place there. Currently my DVD collection's main page is the index.html page, with all the detail pages being named index1, index2, etc.  But... I was concerned that the Comcast PWP template stuff might prevent that.  Oh - I saw your pages - you had the links in that other thread I mentioned above. They looked awfully familiar; then I realized that I am pretty sure I saw them back when I posted about "losing" my pages during the big PWP changeover a couple years ago. Turns out that you replied to me then also and helped me to find my "lost" pages. I remember thinking that you might have known my daughter - she graduated from Millersville 10 years ago with dual EL ED / SP ED degrees.
Thank you.
Jim 
--
J-Mac
Recognized Contributor

Hi Jim,

If you're building your own pages (that is, not using the Comcast PWP Tools), you can leave the old Comcast stuff there and it won't hurt anything.  As long as you start with index.htm or index.html then your URL will be http://home.comcast.net/~UserId

Since you want your main page to be a menu page, you'll need to rename index.html - maybe you could call it dvdmenu.html - then your new main menu page becomes index.html.  On a look and feel issue I wouldn't call my sub-pages index1, index2, etc, 'cos I wouldn't remember which was which. In this case I'd call them by the movie name, prefixed by "dvd", and I'd probably put them in a separate folder that only contains dvd info - but that's just me, your comfort zone might be different.

It's interesting that you found stuff at "../index.html/site" since I wouldn't have expected that.  Did you mis-type that?  Do you have a folder named "index.html"?  That's just a curiosity though, since it doesn't seem to be a problem.

Cheers, Neil.

Bronze Star Contributor

Hi Neil.

Neil, take a look at Beth's post in this thread:

http://forums.comcast.net/comcastsupport/board/message?board.id=3&thread.id=29510

That's where I found out about the /site directory where the Comcast template pages apparently reside.

Also, regarding the DVD collection with index1, index2, etc., I agree that is not an optimum page-naming scheme, but that is generated by the DVD software database's export facility that I use; Ididn't name the pages myself. I will probably have to try and create a script that will automatically rename the page titles as doing it manually every time I export would be tedious indeed!

Thank you.

Jim 

--
J-Mac
Recognized Contributor

Hi Jim,

Just a minor clarification.  Beth's post refers to folder "http://home.comcast.net/~UserId/site/".  Your post referred to "../index.html/site/", which I presumed was a mistype but I wanted to keep it open in case it was really what was there.

Cheers, Neil.

Bronze Star Contributor

Oops! You're correct, Neil. My bad - sorry for the error!

Thanks!

Jim 

--
J-Mac
Web Page Expert
BethKatz

The 'pages' built with Comcast's tool are not stored as normal HTML. They are in a content management database that you cannot see in any of your file space. They are generated on-the-fly when requested by someone browsing to your pages.

If you save anything within that database by using the Comcast PWP tools and saving, the tools will move your normal main page to a file with a time stamp in its name.

So I'd avoid using the Comcast PWP tools in combination with some other page-building tool. I mix them to try things out, but it's annoying to keep renaming my index.html file back to index.html.

I have examples of a variety of page-building options I've explored at:

http://home.comcast.net/~bethkatz/Word/