New Visitor
jwhang67

Comcast Personal Web Pages availability

I found out that I had webspace on my Comcast account so I had been planning on moving my small business web page over to Comcast to save hosting costs. I was horrified to discover, however, that Comcast's uptime in the past couple days for a small test page I put up was less than 50%. Is Comcast this horrible in terms of availability? I can't believe that people aren't up in arms about this. Does anyone here host a business webpage on their Comcast web space? What has your experience been?

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

Re: Comcast Personal Web Pages availability

The uptime for the Comcast web server is actually usually pretty good. What you've seen is unusual. There hasn't been a time in the past few years when I couldn't see my pages hosted at Comcast. I don't look at them every day, but people aren't up in arms because it hasn't been an issue.

However, Comcast is under no obligation to continue to provide personal web pages. And they are supposed to be personal web pages rather than business pages. As far as I know, that is not enforced. They do provide a different web page service for business accounts.

Right now, enabling new web pages seems to be a problem.

I strongly suggest keeping backups of all of your web site files (or at least the information) in another place.

I pay to have my business pages hosted elsewhere.

Web Page Expert
lead5alpha

I agree with Beth that server up time is very good.  I have had my Vietnam Veterans organization on comcast since 2002 and work on it just about everyday.  There have been a few times the server has been down for maintenance, a power failure, or transition to a new server.  Those have been rare.

If you author your own pages and use FTP to upload it should be fine the majority of the time. There seems to be more problems with the comcast online web page building tools.  They are clunky and slow.

Another thread mentioned a 4 to 6 hour maintenance period yesterday.  That may have been the problem.

New Visitor
auds6868

i can't for the life of me figure our where you get started in creating one.  i just realized they were available when i was in the system adding a new email account.

Web Page Expert
lead5alpha

You need to first enable the web pages for the email account you want the web pages associated with.  You do that in the My Account settings.  Same area where you added the secondary account.   There usually is a delay of 5 to 15 minutes before the web page feature gets activated on the web server.

If you use the online comcast tools to creat your webpage go to https://publish.comcast.net/splash/

If you author your pages on your workstation with your own software, you upload them by ftp to upload.comcast.net    Name your main page html file index.html or index.htm and your web page will be at http://home.comcast.net/~username/  The server is case sensitive so 64impala.html is not the same file as 64IMPALA.HTML.

Visitor

I've also seen this be down considerably this weekend. I was trying to use it to do a portfolio for a class, but I ahd to switch to a different site because I couldn't get in to work on it. The only problem is I can't set the other site to download stuff (resume and work samples) without paying for it, so I had to put them on here. Now I can't get in to upload an updated copy of my resume. Hopefully this gets resolved by the end of the day tomorrow, or my assignment will be late even though I've been working on this thing for 3 weeks and that's the only thing missing!

Web Page Expert
lead5alpha

Upload by ftp is working.  Perhaps you could upload your resume by ftp in the meantime. 

Windows Explorer (not internet explorer) has one built-in.  Open any windows explorer window (like "my documents") and erase the address bar.  Type in ftp://upload.comcast.net and follow the prompts.  A window will open on your computer showing your folder on the server.  Drag your new resume file into the window and it will upload.

Visitor

Yeah I saw that option somewhere else, but it wasn't working either. The site has since come back up, and I was able to get the rest of my stuff uploaded. I do hate that I had to go to a secondary site though to get my portfolio built. I just didn't want to fight with it the rest of the weekend. I was just using the site builder rather than an outside program, so that may have been part of the problem too. I'm new at doing this kind of thing but thought it was a better option than a paper portfolio as I could update it a lot faster and easier when needed and send it quickly to professional contacts and potential employers.

Now that I've tested the waters a bit, I may invest in software to do more of them and help my kids with sites of their own.

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

I strongly suggest that you use some other service for your pages - Google Sites perhaps.

Comcast's tools are minimal, are not supported, and create pages that cannot be used elsewhere. You will not have a backup of your files.