Recognized Contributor
sabretooth
Accepted Solution

FTP access for another person

Well, I can set up and access the Comcast FTP site which is my so called Personal Web Pages. 

Question is, how do I have another person download a file?  Is there a password I can set for them to access?  Certainly I can't give them my username and password. 

Username name yes, password needs to be different.   I assume this can be done like a 'real' FTP site?

Thanks in advance.

Recognized Contributor
sabretooth

Re: FTP access for another person

[ Edited ]

OK, I think I got it to download a file and it works. Without password, but would like a password.

Is there a way to show multiple files and then select one and it starts the download?

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

You cannot set passwords. Either something is public or it is private to only you.

You can sort of fake it. Try my password page where the password is thePassword. But it's not really secure.

You might be able to build a pop-up list in Javascript. But if you need to install any server side executables, you won't be able to do so. Comcast does not allow any server side scripting.

Recognized Contributor
sabretooth

Alright thanks.  I see that you can't enter a directory and view all the files and select your download.  Looks like you have to provide the full path to all files individually so it will pop up the download screen.

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

No, they don't have the directory listing turned on. That is often considered a security bug. At another site, I've installed a PHP program that does that. But such a program would be "servier side scripting" and not allowed here. Essentially, there is no way for you to turn on the executable permissions on a file.

You can have a directory and inside that have an index.html file that provides links to each file in the directory using a relative address. But you need to create that list statically rather than installing a program that dynamically provides the list based on the directory's current contents.

Recognized Contributor
sabretooth

No problem.  Thanks.