Contributor
cozmo50

FTP problem?

I am unable to FTP my files.  Yesterday they transferred just fine.  I used the same procedure that I've used for two years and today it is not working.  Is there a problem with FTP today?  "Chat wit a Tech" option did not work today as well.  Waited forever and no tech came online.

Web Page Expert
lead5alpha

Re: FTP problem?

FTP is working for me.  What FTP program are you using?  Sometimes switching from active to passive or passive to active mode helps.

Contributor
cozmo50

It is odd....   I get no errors and everything looks as if it transfers.  When I check the page it is not updated.  I was using the FTP internal to WebEasy (Avanquest).  I'll try it with Filezilla to see if I can get it working.  It is odd enough that this has been working just fine for the past two years with no settings changes. 

Contributor
cozmo50

Just checked my page and now the updates are there and the page is working with the new files.  There must have been a "lag" of at least 1/2 hour after I FTP'd them until they became active.  All is well... Thank you for your response, lead5alpha. 

Web Page Expert
lead5alpha

There is not a lag.  Sometimes you need to clear the cache/temporary internet files in your browser because your workstation used a cached copy of the page instead of the new one you uploaded.  If you don't see the change after uploading use refresh/reload on your browser to force an updating of the page in the browser.

New Visitor
ljkarr

Bottom line: Comcast ftp sucks. Comcast tech support sucks. I've been fighting ftp issues for years. If you have the option, find another ISP or an ftp provided who actually cares about their customers

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

FTP with Comcast usually works extremely well. I don't know what ljkarr's problem is. You can use whatever FTP program you wish.

If you are using Comcast's File Manager tool, that is pretty lousy. But your FTP program of choice usually works well.

Contributor
cozmo50

I really don't know what the problem was when I originally was not able to FTP.  I did clear my cache a number of times.  After a day or so it started working again, hence my question about some sort of "lag".  The cache was cleared multiple times and I tried to view on diferent computers so I know that cache was not the issue.  I thank all for the responses as all have a degree of relevancy, both negative and positive.

Contributor
SteveOrin

I'm studying CC's website thingie in order to decide if I'll go there. Learning a lot - or a little. Strikes me that the folks who help here in this forum do it for the "feelies". Makes them feel good to help. No dinero passing cuz they help. So, I think WE need to treatem nice. My thanks.

I've sent & received emails many times that took DAYS to get there! Hours are not unusual. At times, especially during the 9am - 11am hours, when all three time intervals are awake & going online for their morning jolts, I can't even get online sometimes. The servers & phone comps are overloaded. Reality check. Gonna happen more.

I do note that most folks think its wise to not use Comcast's web building tools & do it the hard way. I wuz kinda hoping to not get into HTML & FTP any more that needed at my early, virgin stage. Guess I'll reread those sections of my book & screw my frustrations down a notch. Urk...

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

Steve, yes avoid the Comcast tool for building web pages. But you don't need to learn HTML to do basic stuff. There are WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) page building tools. Many have a built-in FTP capability. or use a separate FTP program. Some of those are drag-and-drop. I use CyberDuck on my Mac. If you have Windows, you should be able to use Windows Explorer and ftp://upload.comcast.net

I suggest starting small and simple and having your page grow depending on what you want to show. If what you want is really simple, make a document in Microsoft Word (or your favorite word processor) and save it as a web page. Upload it and all the supporting files Word creates.

Contributor
SteveOrin

Based upon my reading I'm tentatively planning on using Filezilla for an FTP client, Kompozer for the HTML stuff. Will probably start out w/Comcast's webpages but it not having any service is a serious negative. I know, it's free but why do something like offer a service & not do it well?

New Visitor
carlos_toscano

I am using SmartFTP to try to upload photos to my personal web page but I am getting the following error:

Connect failed. Error=0x8004440c

Service Expert
Again

carlos_toscano wrote:

I am using SmartFTP to try to upload photos to my personal web page but I am getting the following error:

Connect failed. Error=0x8004440c

You didn't provide the entire error, but if there was a 530 error before this your logon credentials are incorrect.

username: username [no @comcast.net]

password: your password

If you haven't done so already, make sure your PWP is enabled under My Account.

"When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be."
--- Lao Tzu ---
"Life is not linear. It's all a circle. Our dust becomes the firmament on which the future walks."
--- © James Scott 2014 ---

Contributor
SteveOrin

I like his handle... "AGAIN!" I've acted as the "eggspurt" re painting on other forums so many times & note that the same Qs get asked by us newbs time & "AGAIN!". A touch of humor helps.

Service Expert
Again

A touch of humor indeed helps.  A LOT!  :smileygrin:

--- Lao Tzu ---
"Life is not linear. It's all a circle. Our dust becomes the firmament on which the future walks."

New Visitor
PabloBrochado

I have the same problem with comcast, I'm trying to change my ISP provider

ljkarr wrote:

Bottom line: Comcast ftp sucks. Comcast tech support sucks. I've been fighting ftp issues for years. If you have the option, find another ISP or an ftp provided who actually cares about their customers

Contributor

I cannot believe Comcast, No call back about my web page, and when I tried a chat, the first person just left and the second wanted to know why I needed their domain name (Because my WS_FTP requires it for a password!)  Years ago they helped me set up my page, I used htmlwrit and built the page myself, so they gave me the domain name to connect.  I haven't been in my web page for years, but decided to take something off, winded up screwing up the first page, and now can't get back in without their domain name, and the second chat guy told me they don't give that out!  Sorry if some of this makes no sense at all, but I've been trying to take care of this for 7 straight hours now, and still nothing..:smileysad:

Service Expert
Again

Kathy182851 wrote:

I cannot believe Comcast, No call back about my web page, and when I tried a chat, the first person just left and the second wanted to know why I needed their domain name (Because my WS_FTP requires it for a password!)  Years ago they helped me set up my page, I used htmlwrit and built the page myself, so they gave me the domain name to connect.  I haven't been in my web page for years, but decided to take something off, winded up screwing up the first page, and now can't get back in without their domain name, and the second chat guy told me they don't give that out!  Sorry if some of this makes no sense at all, but I've been trying to take care of this for 7 straight hours now, and still nothing..:smileysad:

Comcast is no longer supporting PWP, which is probably why you had the problems with chat.

You need to connect using

upload.comcast.net or ftp://upload.comcast.net

Your username [without @comcast.net]

Your password

I strongly suggest looking for someplace else to host your webpage.  Comcast at any time could shut down PWP without notice, which is their perogative.  You are not paying anything extra for this service.

--- Lao Tzu ---

New Visitor

After about 3 months of calling Comcast Terrible Support I finally got to someone who actually fixed my missing webpages.  He claimed they are actually hosted by another company and that Comcast is no longer offering new users the ability to upload and serve web pages.  He emailed the company and got my web pages back online but I'm still unable to map a drive (Windows 7 Enterprise).  I can however get to my area by putting ftp://upload.comcast.net in my browser.  I was previously able to map a network drive using this method.  I'll be calling back again to see where FTPing stands.

I'm reluctant to post the name and number of the person I spoke with as I'm afraid he'll be inundated with calls so my suggestion is to be persistent and insist that the Comcast Tech open a ticket that will ultimately get passed on to their national support.  I must have made over 25 calls, finally gave up, and then received a call from someone in "National Support" who actually understood what I was talking about.  Most first level techs have no idea about FTPing, what Comcast has to offer, etc., etc.

I'm also fearful that the ability to publish web pages on Comcast will be eliminated in the near future - I saw an email from them recently saying they were abolishing the backup files option.  Comcast, as an ISP really sucks but then they do beat out Verizon FIOS, especially for speed.

Service Expert
Again

davebopp wrote:

After about 3 months of calling Comcast Terrible Support I finally got to someone who actually fixed my missing webpages.  He claimed they are actually hosted by another company and that Comcast is no longer offering new users the ability to upload and serve web pages.  He emailed the company and got my web pages back online but I'm still unable to map a drive (Windows 7 Enterprise).  I can however get to my area by putting ftp://upload.comcast.net in my browser.  I was previously able to map a network drive using this method.  I'll be calling back again to see where FTPing stands.

I'm reluctant to post the name and number of the person I spoke with as I'm afraid he'll be inundated with calls so my suggestion is to be persistent and insist that the Comcast Tech open a ticket that will ultimately get passed on to their national support.  I must have made over 25 calls, finally gave up, and then received a call from someone in "National Support" who actually understood what I was talking about.  Most first level techs have no idea about FTPing, what Comcast has to offer, etc., etc.

I'm also fearful that the ability to publish web pages on Comcast will be eliminated in the near future - I saw an email from them recently saying they were abolishing the backup files option.  Comcast, as an ISP really sucks but then they do beat out Verizon FIOS, especially for speed.

The person you spoke with is correct.  Comcast is no longer supporting PWP nor giving new users the ability to build and upload, or use Comcast's poor tools, files for a PWP.  There really is no sense in opening a ticket; Comcast already has removed the link to the PWP builder and people that used that route are SOL if they didn't save the link.  As you found out, however, you can FTP into your PWP and upload or replace files.

I suggest looking for a real webhost because Comcast is not a webhost; there are several out there that won't cost you an arm and a leg.  Make sure you keep an up-to-date file backup because Comcast could shut FTP down at any time.  As per their TOS, Comcast can remove this service at any time without notifying you.

--- Lao Tzu ---