New Visitor

FormMail.cgi at Comcast?

Does anyone know if Comcast offers FormMail? If not, what's the best option for forms when hosting a site at Comcast?
Thanks.
New Visitor

Re: FormMail.cgi at Comcast?

Have you gotten a response to this? I need to locate the FormMail.cgi as well to get my PDF form working correctly... ASAP
New Visitor

The MailForm tool for the Comcast webpage templates obviously goes to a cgi but I'm not able to get to it. All I need is a generic FormMail.cgi URL to link to for my site... anybody? I'm not trying to upload custom cgi's or anything (yeah, I read the post about no custom cgi's).
Most Valued Poster

Usually, a PDF form is used to create a printable version of a completed form, and you won't be able to do that without PHP or CGI in order to write the completed form using the POST variables. You don't get that with Comcast PWP.
You can use the mailform template to just have the results emailed to you, if that's going to be sufficient, but it won't be in PDF format.
Most Valued Poster

Set up your formmail by going to Comcast main page > click the little arrow next to Personal Web Pages > choose Web Page Building Blocks > Site features > formmail > template options. You may have to enable a form for your site if you haven't already done so. There are a fair amount of options, so template options may be good enough. If not....
I've discovered a way to use your own custom form, but you have to do the template first. Oddly enough, the formmail isn't set up to send the results by email as a default. There is a box to check for that in the template options, as well as a space to put a URL to a thankyou page for when the form is completed.
Create your template form including all of the fields you intend to use in your custom form. Publish it and view-source. Note the exact names that the template assigns to each of your form fields, ( ResEmail, ResName, A1, A2, etc. ). Hint: save the source code.
In your custom form, copy the form tag with the action and also the key. You can add a name and style to the form tag, but the action should not be changed. For each field, use the same exact name that was generated for the field in the template in your custom HTML form. I believe this works. This way you can customize by including the form within your own HTML page. You can add style or make the textarea bigger or color your submit and reset buttons, for example. The important thing is to actually create the template, then mirror the exact names for the fields.
I don't think you're supposed to do this, but this isn't custom CGI, it's just a custom HTML form. It will only work if you upload it to the same name that you created the template for.
New Visitor

You can create a PDF that emails to an address w/out a mail CGI script. Create your form, label the fields, create an email button & give it an address to send to; no CGI needed....
Web Page Expert
BethKatz

You can't do server-side scripting here, so anything .cgi is out. I'm not so sure about mgaines's solution. Javascript buttons do work.

This was a thread from 2004. That goes waaay back.

Web Page Expert
lead5alpha

I believe the pdf solution uses the mailto function which uses the email client installed on the visitors computer to send the data after it is extracted from the pdf form.  Someone filling in the form at a public library would be using a computer without an email client setup.