Visitor
wanda7

Have FTP settings for uploading changed?

I've been trying to update a PWP using the ftp upload in Dreamweaver. I've done it many times before with no problem (although it's been a year or more since I last did it). Now, for some reason, I'm getting an FTP error message indicating that it cannot connect. Have the ftp upload settings for comcast changed? I've double-checked that I'm using the correct username and password. The only other thing that has changed is I have a new Comcast modem that now includes phone. Could that be interfering somehow?

Networking Expert
kevj

Re: Have FTP settings for uploading changed?

The settings have not changed...what make and model is your new modem? Were you using a router prior to getting the new modem?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't work for Comcast...

Help us to help you!!
- respond to requests for info
- post back if your issue is resolved
- mark appropriate posts as solutions

Send feedback to Comcast using the 'feedback' link on this page:
http://www.comcast.com/Corporate/Customers/CustomerGuarantee.html?SCRedirect=true

Web Page Expert
lead5alpha

Just logged-in by ftp so it is working. 

FTP settings would be:

Access type:            FTP
FTP host:                upload.comcast.net
Host directory:         / or leave blank
Login:                     yourusername without the @comcast.net
Password:               yourpassword

Visitor
wanda7

The new modem is an Arris TG862 (Xfinity), and yes, previously I had a separate modem and router. Does that make a difference?

Visitor
wanda7

Thank you. Those are the settings I'm using.

Networking Expert
kevj

The Arris TG862 is a residential gateway...it is a combined modem and router, so yu now have two routers in line, which could cause problems, especally with a protocol as finicky as FTP.

You have two options...Option 1 is the most highly recommended...

Option 1:

Call 1-800-363-2416 and ask them put the gateway in Bridge Mode, so it acts like a modem, instead of a gateway. You already have a router set up, so you shouldn't need to do much else...maybe powercycle the modem and router.

Option 2:

Remove your router and use the gateway only. This is not preferred, as the Comcast gateways have shown themselves in numerous posts on these boards to be pretty unrelaible as gateways. They work as modems OK, if you have them bridged as above.

Help us to help you!!

http://www.comcast.com/Corporate/Customers/CustomerGuarantee.html?SCRedirect=true

Visitor
wanda7

Thank you, kevj. I will follow your suggestions, but first I want to clarify one thing: I do NOT have the separate router hooked up anymore. Your instructions seemed to imply that you thought I did. I ONLY have the Arris hooked up. Do you still think I should follow the steps you outlined?

Visitor

[ Edited ]

Sometime in the last 24 hrs I also lost the ability to use FTP for any of the sites I have. It was working fine yesterday morning and now it repeatedly times out now matter how I try to access it.

I have internet access and can upload to the site via a browser on the hosting website but not through FTP either in windows explorer or Dreamweaver. It does not work when the firewall is disabled either. This computer was not updated or shut off during that time. No settings were changed by me during that time as well. My modem is a motorola SBV5220. I need to be able to access ftp in order to work, any ideas?

New Visitor
tjlm

My ftp suddenly stopped working, too. It connects, then says "426 Data connection error: No child processes." and disconnects. I've called Comcast Support, and they don't seem to know why it doesn't work any more.

I'm able to work on my personal website via the control panel at https://publish.comcast.net/home/index/ but it's cumbersome. To update a webpage, you have to delete the current webpage, upload the updated one, and then set permissions to "public." Uploading doesn't over-write files, and the default is for all uploads to be set to private. So it's a 3-step process for each file. It's a tedious process, but it does work.

Networking Expert
kevj

Wanda,

if you do not have a seperate router connected, then you can ignore my instructions.

Help us to help you!!

New Visitor
A_M_O

I use fileZilla and now have a similar problem.  Uploading appears to work, but when I try to retrieve the files to put them on another computer I get an error message : "Failed to retrieve directory listing.  Connection closed by server."

Using the Computer funtion under Windows 7, I have verified that the files are actually on the server and can be transferred via drag and drop.

Web Page Expert
lead5alpha

Bronze Star Contributor

A_M_O wrote:

I use fileZilla and now have a similar problem.  Uploading appears to work, but when I try to retrieve the files to put them on another computer I get an error message : "Failed to retrieve directory listing.  Connection closed by server."

Using the Computer funtion under Windows 7, I have verified that the files are actually on the server and can be transferred via drag and drop.

I just recently started using ftp with comcast and got this same error and results with filezilla. I switched to winscp and have no problems with comcast ftp up or downloads. I have win 7 as well...

New Visitor
EagleII

[ Edited ]

Hello..

***  CuteFTP Pro ***

STATUS:>      Host name upload.comcast.net resolved: ip = 216.87.188.9.
STATUS:>      Connecting to ftp server upload.comcast.net:21 (ip = 216.87.188.9)...
ERROR:>       Can't connect to remote server. Socket error = #10060.
STATUS:>      Connecting to ftp server upload.comcast.net:21 (ip = 216.87.188.9)...

Gateway:  SBG6580

This is not a user error, router error or gateway error

A socket error 10060 is a connection time-out error that occurs if CuteFTP does not receive a response from the remote FTP server after a command is sent.  It occurs after an FTP session is established but usually before any data is received from the remote FTP server.

Is Comcast FTP  in port mode vs PASV?

Port 21 is open on my gateway -- so please do not come back with USER ERROR responses.   I have been involved with computers since MIT in the early 70's ( punch card and punch tape/tapes ) BBS era

and tandy, commies.. etc..and was on the web before it was the web.. just message based.. building mailtossers between FIDONet, GTPowerNet RBBSNet to name a few  and the then message based internet.   Even with ample experience I am finding things a bit confusing .. maybe it's I'm over 64 and getting flakey? (G)  But I'll still out code you any day..(Take That)

ps:  I log into another FTP account just fine..  just did a check to make sure it wasn't broke as well.  We just started with Comcast last Thursday..

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

It works for me.

I just tried from a command line FTP on Mac OS X:

katz@jane ~ 101 > ftp upload.comcast.net
Connected to upload.comcast.net.
220 FTP server (Version 5.339PWS/AI) ready.
Name (upload.comcast.net:katz): ************* (my Comcast userid)
331 Password required for **************.
Password:
230 User ************* logged in.
Remote system type is UNIX.
Using binary mode to transfer files.
ftp> ls
227 Entering Passive Mode (216,87,188,9,233,233)
150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for /bin/ls.

ftp> put thanks.txt
local: thanks.txt remote: thanks.txt
227 Entering Passive Mode (216,87,188,9,237,133)
150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for thanks.txt.
100% |***********************************| 199 12.67 KiB/s 00:00 ETA
226 Transfer complete.
199 bytes sent in 00:00 (0.71 KiB/s)

So it worked for me. You seem to know enough to figure it out, so I won't try to help further.
Web Page Expert
BethKatz

Oh, I will suggest that you make sure that your router/gateway/whatever has up-to-date firmware. I first came to this forum with a similar problem. I could FTP to another system's account but not Comcast. Upgrading the firmware helped. I had been using my router for a long time and hadn't upgraded the firmware. But I'm sure you've considered that already.

There are also some incompatibilities with some FTP programs and Comcast's server if there are too many files on the server. But since you don't have any on the server yet, that shouldn't be the problem.