Visitor
2fts
Accepted Solution

How do I get Comcasts "Web Site Builder"?

I'd like to use Comcasts Web Site Builder.  How do I access it?  Is there software to download or a URL to connect to?  I've found lots of information about Web Site Builder, but no info about where I can access it.

Thanks

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

Re: How do I get Comcast's "Web Site Builder"?

[ Edited ]

Edit in 2013: The steps below no longer work. Comcast has removed the ability to enable or disable web pages. However, if your pages are enabled and built with Comcast's tool, you can use the link below to get to the page-building tools.

First, go to your account (from here Customers above and Manage My Account and eventually Users & Settings) and enable your web pages.

Then, go to https://publish.comcast.net/home/index/

There's a tutorial of sorts. It's a tool with few features, but you can get something simple up without too much trouble.

Start small (create your home page) and be sure to Save and Publish. Realize that pages on the menu will be listed in the order created.

Your web page will be at   http://home.comcast.net/~username   where username is your Comcast username without the @comcast.net. Note the ~ in front. You may have to refresh your web browser to see it.

Visitor
2fts

Thanks for your help!

New Visitor
jasper2001

Why does Comcast bother to add this personal web space then make it impossible to find it? In "releated FAQs" when I searched for the site builder I got options for DVR & how to record. I am not a video subscriber...

It would be nice if Comcast dumped these useless services and just made the product cheaper.

eesh...

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

Comcast is not supporting the web page service and doesn't seem to want to advertise it. I strongly suggest that if you do build a web page that you use some other tool than Comcast's and keep a backup.

They could drop the service altogether, but they won't drop the price of internet connection. They just won't. 

New Visitor
Tullyhouse

Re: How do I get Comcasts "Web Site Builder"?

The "Site builder" is "there" but the reason they don't advertize it is because if it were easy, everybody would be using it, and hence Comcast would have to host up to 1Gb of space for all users, increasing their operating costs, etc.  You can get there by typing in the URL where your website will be when it's up (home.comcast.net/~username  OR username.home.comcast.net ...both work and its your preference of how you want to publisize it until you buy a domain name and point it to one of these two URLs)   Once you type in your given Free webaddress, a message pops up that says "COMING SOON" and a link is there to go to the site builder.  I'd suggest bookmarking it since it is hard to find and hard to remember for me at least if I'm not using it often.  Anyway... I've been having problems getting from the site builder start page to the actual online app.  Clicking the "GET STARTED" button sends you to a login page, then when you login it sends you to a lengthy URL and a message pops up saying that it took too long to load and the link has timed out.  You can't use the back button becaue of the way the page is written, so therefore you have to start all over, from however you got to the site builder launch page to begin with (see, I told you to bookmark it!) 

I've tried to get past this error by using Firefox, Ie, and Chrome on my Macbook, and from my Phone's Dolphin browser, and Ie, as well as my PC (win vista pro) with all available browsers.  No luck with these exhaustive attempts.  So I'm guessing that not only does comcast wish to not publicise the link to begin with, but I'm sure they're not going to be too proactive in correcting the elusive link's bugs.  So.. Off to google to find another free hosting site.  10 years ago I used a service from a company called BRAVENET, which I initially thought had native american roots.  I used it to write some simple sites and found that it had some really cool FREE widgets that were easy to customize (color, feel, etc) such as a real-time online chat pop up for customer service solutions, powerful guestbook or comment widget that is searchable, etc.  I haven't been back there for a few years, but my next step is to look that up.  From what I remember, it was Ad driven, but cheap to remove the ad.  If you have little website writing experience, perhaps try this site.  Also, if you wish to take the next step and buy a domain name (.US sites are $3.99/year), go to Godaddy.com and search for your ideal name.  They too have a fairly good site builder (Website tonight?) and they have a fairly reasonable database submission service to push your content to the search engine spiders. 

So, there you have it.  if you need help with a simple website build and submission, I can be reached via my yahoo email  I'm WideOpenDDS  Drop me a line  Dr Bob

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

The "solution" post in this thread gives the address for the page building tool. Another way to get there is this URL that is easily bookmarked:

https://publish.comcast.net/pages/index/

Comcast hasn't really supported personal web pages for several years. As far as I know, they've never had a directory of personal web pages.

For casual free pages, consider Google Sites - https://sites.google.com/

You can use whatever tool you wish to create web pages on your computer and then upload to the Comcast space. You can't use server-side scripting, so that rules out some widgets.

New Visitor
alberthd

[ Edited ]

Comcast should sell the Website Builder as standalone application, I am 100% they are going to make more millions, cause is easy and user friendly, and with the power of advertising coming from them won't cost anything, if they offered free norton why they can also offer the Website Builder free to download to Comcast users or sell it to the whole world as a Comcast software brand application.  I think someone in Comcast is no thinking big enough, people today are looking for Website Builder Applications to create their sites, and become the next facebook, tweet, or else. Comcast get my free advise.

The Comcast Personal Web Pages (PWP) feature is no longer available to customers who have not previously activated this feature. Customers who previously activated PWP may continue to access this feature by visiting https://publish.comcast.net.

Create your own site name and subhead to tell viewers what your page is all about.

I did activate this feature, but I don't have access, came to my account can't find anything relate like use to be.  Very sad : (

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

alberthd wrote:

Comcast should sell the Website Builder as standalone application, I am 100% they are going to make more millions, cause is easy and user friendly, and with the power of advertising coming from them won't cost anything,...

The Comcast website builder was a poor excuse for a page-building tool. It was not intuitive, well-done, or supported. It was limited in its features. It was not worth selling.

Find another service that does web sites well. Use that.

New Visitor

I have been trying for three days to find this solution for my problem and did not know it even existed. Thank you very much for being posted here! Now I can get some sleep!

Networking Expert
kevj