Bronze Star Contributor
Accepted Solution

How much bandwidth do I have?

If I use my personal web space for hosting files and images to make available for other people to download, how much traffic, or bandwidth do I get per user account?

Or is it totalled up in one lump sum for all users under my one Comcast account?

I'm not talking about anything huge, and certainly nothing illegal - I make 3D models and textures and such things and occasionally want to be able to share them with people in forums, plus some forums require an external host for uploading images into messages.

I'm just wondering if it's worth trying it with Comcast or if I should get my own domain. I'm not really interested in free web hosts and all the sign up stuff and other problems, so please don't suggest that. I'm either going to do it with what Comcast gives me or buy a domain and get a hosting service for it.

So, is there a bandwidth limit - a limit on how many people can download my files or view the images I may place in forum posts and linked-to?

And if so, what happens if I reach that limit?

Thanks for any answers. :smileyhappy:

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

Re: How much bandwidth do I have?

I don't think anyone here other than ComcastGeorge can answer that authoratatively. We're customers. 

But as far as I know, all of your download allowances under an account are grouped together. But those are downloads coming into your home. And supposedly normal use wouldn't run into that.

What you're talking about is legitimate personal use that may be big anyway. But I don't think I've seen limits on how much traffic your personal web pages can have. It can't be business use.

It sounds to me like you could use your Comcast space for this - many of us do similar stuff on a smaller scale. But I'm just a customer. 

Bronze Star Contributor

Thank you, bethkatz. :smileyhappy:

Who is ComcastGeorge? Does he post here?

Should I wait and see if he happens upon this thread, or just call Comcast Support?

Every time I've talked to Support on the phone I've gotten the impression they were taught very well how to set up service appointments, but very little on actual details of how things work. :smileywink:

I've usually had to ask for someone higher up the chain to get technical answers.

Service Expert
Again

mj41865 wrote:

Thank you, bethkatz. :smileyhappy:

Who is ComcastGeorge? Does he post here?

Should I wait and see if he happens upon this thread, or just call Comcast Support?

Every time I've talked to Support on the phone I've gotten the impression they were taught very well how to set up service appointments, but very little on actual details of how things work. :smileywink:

I've usually had to ask for someone higher up the chain to get technical answers.

ComcastGeorge is the Administrator of the forums.  You can send him a private message by clicking on the message envelope in the upper right of your screen and choosing the Compose New Message Tab.  Make sure you don't put any spaces in his name, though, when you type in his name.

"When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be."
--- Lao Tzu ---
"Life is not linear. It's all a circle. Our dust becomes the firmament on which the future walks."
--- © James Scott 2014 ---

Bronze Star Contributor

Thank you, I'll try that. :smileyhappy:
Bronze Problem Solver
lunski

hello mj :smileyhappy:

i apologize for the delay.

this is great question. i am surprised no one asked before.

i dont have an immediate answer, but i will get one for you.

i will reply with a answer asap.

George Lunski
"Retired" Comcast Help Forums Administrator
Bronze Star Contributor

Hello Mr. Lunski,

Thank you.

I've been meanining to follow up on this, just haven't had the time lately.

I too am surprised nobody has ever asked this. Hopefully because it's not been a major issue. :smileywink:

Looking forward to your answer. :smileyhappy:

Bronze Problem Solver
lunski

hi mj,

thanks for the patience.

currently there are no bandwidth limitations. additionally the bandwidth is not restricted by sub accounts or a main account. however, our acceptable use policy for internet should be reviewed further if you have any concerns.

there is a great group of pwp experts here and lots of smart folks. if you are considering setting up a site, i would personally recommend a hosting provider. i have found webhostingtalk.com to be very helpful and friendly folks over there.
George Lunski
Recognized Contributor

Hi George,

Did you really just recommend that, despite the smart people here,  someone not use Comcast?  Isn't that our job to knock Comcast and your job to defend them?

From my brief glance at webhostingtalk.com,  it doesn't seem to be a web hosting company.  It appears to be a forum where people talk about web hosting companies.  I must be missing something - time for coffee.

Cheers, Neil.

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

If George is going to suggest a web hosting company, may I chime in that I've had very good service from Venernet for many, many years. You can find them at FastURL (http://www.fasturl.com/).

I haven't shopped around and have no points of comparison, but they've been very responsive and reliable. However, you pay for increased bandwidth, and I don't have big downloads from my site. So your mileage may vary. But you might use them as a point of comparison.

But maybe George was just suggesting where you could find further information. 

Bronze Star Contributor

Thank you for the reply, Comcast George, and for the suggestions.

And thank you too, bethkatz, I'll consider that if what i'm doing now becomes a problem. :smileyhappy:

Currently, Comcast allows up to 250 GB of traffic within any given 30 day period, for one's entire account, including uoploadss, downloads, and apparently also, downloads other people make from your web space.

That is *alot* of bandwidth. I mean, that's 8.3 GB of traffic per day. I don't think I could do even half that that if I *tried to*, and I doubt the stuff I put up for download would generate anywhere near that much either.

Bronze Problem Solver

mj41865 wrote:

Thank you for the reply, Comcast George, and for the suggestions.

And thank you too, bethkatz, I'll consider that if what i'm doing now becomes a problem. :smileyhappy:

Currently, Comcast allows up to 250 GB of traffic within any given 30 day period, for one's entire account, including uoploadss, downloads, and apparently also, downloads other people make from your web space.

That is *alot* of bandwidth. I mean, that's 8.3 GB of traffic per day. I don't think I could do even half that that if I *tried to*, and I doubt the stuff I put up for download would generate anywhere near that much either.

Not true. The bandwidth limit of 250GB per month is trough your modem. This limit has no impact on how much bandwidth use there is on your web site which resides on the Comcast servers, not on your computer. So people accessing your web site do not touch your modem therefore no impact on the 250GB limit. As said above, there is no bandwidth limit on traffic to or from your Comcast web site unless all traffic is from you through your modem.

Bronze Star Contributor

FishMan, I guess you're right, and I hadn't thought about that.

But...shhhhh... I don't want to be responsible for them making a download cap for visitors. :smileywink:

Service Expert
Again

mj, just to clarify, if you read George's post it said "currently there are no bandwidth limitations. additionally the bandwidth is not restricted by sub accounts or a main account."  The 250GB per month is what YOU use, not what the people who hit your website consume.  :smileywink:
"When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be."
--- Lao Tzu ---
"Life is not linear. It's all a circle. Our dust becomes the firmament on which the future walks."
--- © James Scott 2014 ---

Bronze Problem Solver
lunski

MadScotsman wrote:

Hi George,

Did you really just recommend that, despite the smart people here,  someone not use Comcast?  Isn't that our job to knock Comcast and your job to defend them?

From my brief glance at webhostingtalk.com,  it doesn't seem to be a web hosting company.  It appears to be a forum where people talk about web hosting companies.  I must be missing something - time for coffee.

Cheers, Neil.

hello scot,

i use both pwp and hosting provider. it depends on the individual. both have their pros and cons. based upon the op's original inquiry, i provided my personal opinion. i would only imagine that a majority of our customers would find the pwp features sufficient for their use.

as for webhostingtalk.com ...

just a friendly community to talk about web hosting, you can find a lot of answers without posting.

i hope this clarifies my post.

George Lunski
New Visitor

[ Edited ]

Sorry, I'm new to computers, I think I found the answer.

Message Edited by MrDuhamel on 10-14-2009 11:41 PM
Message Edited by MrDuhamel on 10-14-2009 11:45 PM
Web Page Expert
BethKatz

Good. We like it when users find their own answers and come back and tell us that they did.

Thank you. 

Bronze Problem Solver

[ Edited ]

bethkatz wrote:

Good. We like it when users find their own answers and come back and tell us that they did.

Thank you. 

It would be nice to know what MrDuhamel's problem was. We like it even more when posters post their solutions in addition to the fact that they found the answer so that others with similar problems can learn what the solution was. :smileywink:

Message Edited by FishMan on 10-15-2009 01:57 PM
Bronze Star Contributor

He said he's new to computers, but found his answer.

My guess would be that he switched to Mac. :smileywink: