Regular Contributor

Kompozer Question

I`ve been trying to learn Kompozer to make my web site. In the tutorial for Kompozer at thesitewizard.com it says to publish my web page way before it is finished or problems will occur later. The reason they give is  "KompoZer needs the information about your actual website's address (or URL) before it can correctly handle things like links and images on your web page. "  I would like to build my site first on my computer. Is there any way I can do that?
Bronze Problem Solver

Re: Kompozer Question

[ Edited ]

AlanJ wrote:
I`ve been trying to learn Kompozer to make my web site. In the tutorial for Kompozer at thesitewizard.com it says to publish my web page way before it is finished or problems will occur later. The reason they give is  "KompoZer needs the information about your actual website's address (or URL) before it can correctly handle things like links and images on your web page. "  I would like to build my site first on my computer. Is there any way I can do that?

It is best to use relative addressing within your web pages. You can then develop your site on your computer and upload it to any web server and have all your images and links work. Komposer is telling you to use very poor web site design if they are advocating the use of absolute addressing.

So the answer is you don't have to use absolute addressing as indicated in your post. You can develop all your site in Kompzer then upload it and it will work.

Message Edited by FishMan on 10-26-2009 05:51 PM
Web Page Expert
lead5alpha

I use Composer (same core software) and use relative links.  Go with what Fishman suggests.  To make it easy starting out keep all your html files, images, backgrounds, supporting files in the same folder on your workstation.  Once done upload all of the contents of your web page folder from your work station to the root directory of your account on the comcast server.  I would use a separate ftp client to upload your files.  The Kompozer built in upload utility works fine for a small site but if you have a lot of files I would use an ftp client.

The only place you need absolute links would be to web pages outside your site that you want to link to.  Then you need the full web address.

I think this tutorial is telling you to publish as you go so you can see the results online as you work on it.  The preview mode in Kompozer does basically the same thing.

Regular Contributor

I`m new at this.. You said it`s best to use relative addressing. How do I know whether I am using either. I am thinking absolute addressing is specifying a particular web address?? So how do I configure relative addressing? Or do I need to do anything? Thanks for the help, I need to learn this..
Web Page Expert
lead5alpha

When you highlight text or select an image and want to link it, click on the link symbol and you should get a window that looks similar to this. Your version of composer might be different Click on the folder icon

and select the local file. It will show up in the link location window.  You could also just type in the file name, for example about.html  Check the box url is relative to page location.  

Checking the box ‘URL is relative to page location’  allows you to move the page and image to another location, as you will have to when you upload them to a server. (If you de-select this and move the page, it will try to find the image at the original location and you will get a file C:/address on the server)

Bronze Problem Solver

[ Edited ]

AlanJ wrote:
I`m new at this.. You said it`s best to use relative addressing. How do I know whether I am using either. I am thinking absolute addressing is specifying a particular web address?? So how do I configure relative addressing? Or do I need to do anything? Thanks for the help, I need to learn this..

Here is a description of the differences between relative and absolute link addressing:

http://www.coffeecup.com/help/articles/absolute-vs-relative-pathslinks/

Here is what I consider to be one of the best places to learn basic html:

http://www.w3schools.com/

Message Edited by FishMan on 10-26-2009 08:26 PM
Web Page Expert
BethKatz

I concur that using relative addressing is the way to go.

From the Kompozer help:

URL is relative to page location: If checked, KompoZer converts the URL to be relative to the page's location. This is especially useful if you plan to publish your pages to a web server so that others can view them. Using relative URLs allows you to keep all your linked files in the same place relative to each other, regardless of their location on your hard disk or a web server.

Deselecting this option causes KompoZer to convert the URL to a full (absolute) URL. You typically use absolute URLs when linking to pages on other web servers (not stored locally on your hard disk).  

If you look at the HTML code Kompozer is creating, you will see links that looks like "images/LeftHalf.jpg" rather than "http://home.comcast.net/~username/images/LeftHalf.jpg".

Note that the Comcast server is case sensitive. The filename above is not the same as Images/leftHalf.jpg

Depending on your computer operating system (Windows or Mac or Linux) and web browser, you might also be able to preview your pages in your web browser as you build them. That means you don't have to trust that Kompozer is showing it to you correctly. It is, but you can check.

To do that on a Mac (and I believe the others, but I don't do Windows at home), in the Finder/file viewer, click on the top page's file and right-click to bring up Open With. Choose your web browser.

Since you've used relative addresses, it won't matter that the pages aren't actually stored on the Comcast server when you are building them. They are in the same relative relationship to each other on your home machine. 

But it will be very important to upload all the parts in the same arrangement when you do publish it.  That's why we suggest using a separate third-party FTP program where you can see what is happening.

Regular Contributor

Thanks for the help and the links. I saw on the w3schools.com site an add for a Flash web site builder from Wix.com. Is this Flash web builder something that is being recognized along with html?
Web Page Expert
BethKatz

AlanJ wrote:
Thanks for the help and the links. I saw on the w3schools.com site an add for a Flash web site builder from Wix.com. Is this Flash web builder something that is being recognized along with html?
I don't believe Flash is viewable on my iPhone. Some web browsers may not handle it well. It's a resource hog on Mac OS X. Using it depends on what you're trying to do with your web site. What's your audience?

Regular Contributor

Thanks for the reply, My site would be for just family and friends. I think I`d like to stick to (and learn ) html. The Flash site from Wix just looked soo easy.
Web Page Expert
BethKatz

You don't have to learn a lot of HTML to make a web site. Understand the concept of tags, start simple, and have it grow. Concentrate on content.

But if you get something simple going, you can always change it.

Regular Contributor

Thanks bethkatz, I`ve been brushing up on it anyway.  I`ve found that kompozer doesn`t seem to display the <head> or <title> tags .. only <body>.  Some of the html tutorials I`ve been to say to use use those tags, but kompozer starts in the <body> section. Am I missing something ? or does kompozer do this ?
Web Page Expert
BethKatz

[ Edited ]

KompoZer will set those up when you save the file. You'll be prompted for the title. When I saved a new page that has one line of text on it, it stored this HTML that's color-coded by my web browser's source view editor (I hope this looks okay here in the forum. Edit. It didn't with just some line breaks, so I am including how it looks after formatting. Your web browser may not do that.):

<<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">

<html>

<head>

<meta content="text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1" http-equiv="content-type">

<title>

New Page in KompoZer

</title>

</head>

<body>

This is a new page.

</body>

</html>

That's why I suggest you jump in and try a simple page. You'll learn a lot by doing. You don't have to publish the result.

Message Edited by bethkatz on 10-28-2009 05:03 PM
Regular Contributor

Thanks bethkatz,lead5alpha, and fishman for you help.
Web Page Expert
lead5alpha

You can also edit those later by using the Format>Page Title and Properties pull down menu.  Once you get experienced you can add and edit them in the source view mode.