Contributor

Major problems with technical support.

I've just had a very bad experience with Comcast Support.  Out of 6 individuals I talked to, 4 couldn't speak and understand English, and the other 2 had limited knowledge and training.  They didn't know about managing accounts as it pertains to customer websites, didn't know about permissions to folders, and didn't comprehend it was Comcast's server problem.  

The technical support phone line kept cutting out my call when I was talking to a rep, and sending me back to the menu to start over.   THere were obvious problems with the call support center telephone software.

To top it off, I then received an email asking for me to fill out a survey of their technical support service, and the email contained 3 survey URLs which were all INVALID.

I've worked with other major internet hosting sites which have top notch technical support/service.  This comcast support is a grade Z.

Anyone else have these kinds of problems with Comcast?

Bronze Problem Solver

Re: Major problems with technical support.

kl7907 wrote:

I've just had a very bad experience with Comcast Support.  Out of 6 individuals I talked to, 4 couldn't speak and understand English, and the other 2 had limited knowledge and training.  They didn't know about managing accounts as it pertains to customer websites, didn't know about permissions to folders, and didn't comprehend it was Comcast's server problem.  

The technical support phone line kept cutting out my call when I was talking to a rep, and sending me back to the menu to start over.   THere were obvious problems with the call support center telephone software.

To top it off, I then received an email asking for me to fill out a survey of their technical support service, and the email contained 3 survey URLs which were all INVALID.

I've worked with other major internet hosting sites which have top notch technical support/service.  This comcast support is a grade Z.

Anyone else have these kinds of problems with Comcast?

Comcast is an ISP not a hosting company. Hosting companies provide better hosting functionality, tools, and support because that is what they do to generate revenue. Comcast as an ISP provides very basic personal web pages for novice sites created by their ISP customers. Their pwp tools are extremely limited and are designed for use by users who have zero web page design and maintenance experience.

The best thing for an experienced user who wants more than a basic site would be to use a hosting company rather than the basic Comcast pwp offering. Using a hosting company is necessary if you want to use server-side scripting and or databases.

So it is no wonder that the Comcast support staff could not answer your questions about web site hosting, they don't provide that service, other than the basic pwp.

Contributor

[ Edited ]

"Fishman wrote:

Comcast is an ISP not a hosting company. Hosting companies provide better hosting functionality, tools, and support because that is what they do to generate revenue. Comcast as an ISP provides very basic personal web pages for novice sites created by their ISP customers. Their pwp tools are extremely limited and are designed for use by users who have zero web page design and maintenance experience.

The best thing for an experienced user who wants more than a basic site would be to use a hosting company rather than the basic Comcast pwp offering. Using a hosting company is necessary if you want to use server-side scripting and or databases.

So it is no wonder that the Comcast support staff could not answer your questions about web site hosting, they don't provide that service, other than the basic pwp."

It's "no wonder"???  That is a lazy statement!

I have a hosting company for my larger business websites.  I just want Comcast to work for my family sites.  They have some permission problems on their host server.  That is something ANY network administrator should be able to handle.  And Comcast should be able to support that part...their own software.

They need people who are competent, someone who can speak English, and some people who are trained in some basic stuff about their own software.  Period.

Message Edited by kl7907 on 07-14-2009 07:47 PM
Visitor

I too had a very bad experience with Comcast Support for personal web pages.  I asked a simple question about publishing personal web pages as I find the documentation very conflicting and dated.  Unable to provide an answer the representative gave me a service ticket number and said someone would call back within 48 hours....Never happened so 3, then 5 days ater I called in gave the repersentative my service ticket number only to get the runaround, dubble talk, and other BS that I should call Microsoft support or Goggle (I swear that is what the Comcast support rep recommended) the issue as he could not provide an answer.

Comcast Web hosting **bleep**!!

Contributor

[ Edited ]
Can you describe your problem? You can do some interesting things with the pwp space... though I don't think .htaccess files work, anyone had any luck?
Message Edited by jigglywigglyZ on 07-20-2009 07:01 PM
Bronze Problem Solver

jigglywigglyZ wrote:
Can you describe your problem? You can do some interesting things with the pwp space... though I don't think .htaccess files work, anyone had any luck?
Message Edited by jigglywigglyZ on 07-20-2009 07:01 PM

You are correct in that users do not have the correct permissions and access to edit .htaccess files.

Contributor

YES, YES, YES!!!!  My experiences with Comcast "support" have convinced me that my CAT could do a better job.  And you're RIGHT ON with the English language thing!!  FCC regs won't let me tell you what I REALLY think about the lack of English language comprehension and speech!  ESPECIALLY in today's economy when AMERICANS are being laid off by the 10s of 1000s, and companies are still allowed to send jobs overseas!  But the bottom line in this forum is that Comcast's "support" leaves a LOT to be desired!!

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

If you have a problem with web pages, ask. Maybe we can help you.

Frankly, whenever I have called Comcast, I have talked to someone in the US. They aren't very knowledgeable about the web pages feature, but they don't get nearly as many questions about that as they do about email and network connections.

But many of us here have used the tools (or used other tools that can also be used to build pages here) and can help. But you need to describe the problem you're having. 

Recognized Contributor

I have a problem with the statement that Comcast is an ISP and not a Web Hosting company, or that Comcast only does Personal Web Pages and not Web Hosting.  Comcast IS a web hosting company - just not a very complete one.  PWP is a Comcast term that has no outside definition - it's only a Comcast marketing term.  If you say that Comcast only does PWPs that conveys absolutely no information to the outside about what Comcast does, except that Comcast does what Comcast does.  Remember, many people have a personal web page that includes server side scripting, just not on Comcast.

Here's how I would describe Comcast's PWP offering:

- Comcast provides limited web hosting

- Comcast is primarily an ISP that also provides limited web hosting capabilities

- The Comcast PWP offering is a degraded version of what most web hosting companies provide

Just my view - YMMV.

The problem with Comcast's customer support for PWPs is that Comcast has made the corporate decision to provide almost no support for them.  This forum here is about the only place where you'll get any answers, and good luck trying to find this forum if you don't already know about it and how to find it on the web site.

Cheers, Neil.

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

Neil, I agree with you. 

If someone needs reliable, full-featured web pages, they should find a different web hosting company. If they want a web presence, this works. I wouldn't use the Comcast page building tools. However, I *have* used those tools and can answer some questions.  

Contributor

I totally agree with your assessment.  No matter what kind of technical support you need you (1) frequently get dropped while on hold (2) get a tech that is VERY hard to understand and (3) find out quickly the tech's are working from a script and can't deviate.  Comcast needs to get more qualified techs.