Visitor

Need help adding pictures to my Webpage

[ Edited ]
The pictures I upload take up a lot more than one full screen.....how can Ioad them so that they only take up one full screen?

Message Edited by robinart on 06-18-2006 10:43 AM

Recognized Contributor

Re: Need help adding pictures to my Webpage

You need to resize the images before you upload them.  Almost any image-manipulating software package (like Photoshop) will let you do this.  If you don't have one, you can get Microsoft's Powertoys, which includes an image resizer.  Once you install it, you can right-click on a picture file in Windows Explorer, and choose Resize Pictures.  You can save the resized image under a new name, or overwrite the original.
Visitor

Thanks for you help.

I have tried to resize the jpg's using Hypersnap. At least I think I resized them, because the size of the file went down. But when I upload the smaller file it still takes up the same size space which is appreciably more than the size of the screen.  What might I be doing wrong? 

Recognized Contributor

I've never used Hypersnap, but I found the manual for it online.  It looks like what you want to do is choose Image, Scale, and drag the slider to make the image smaller - shoot for something around 800x600, so people with their monitors set for 1024x768 will see the whole image.  When you save the image, if you save it under a new name, make sure you're uploading the new version, not the original.
Visitor

Thanks again for your response, I really appreciate it. 

What you suggested is exactly what I did, or at least what I think I did, including changing the Scale to 800x600 as well as being sure to:
1) Change the name of the new jpg
2) Delete the picture on my Website, i.e. to eliminate caching as a factor
3) Upload the new smaller size jpg

I tried this about 5 times, all with the same result.  The picture displays first as a small 'thumbnail'. When I click it the picture expands to almost twice the size of a full screen.

Is there a way to set/change the size of the picture on the Website?
Recognized Contributor

You must still be doing something wrong.  An image that's under 800x600 simply can't overfill the monitor.  There simply aren't enough pixels there to do that.  The only thing I can think of is that the HTML code is forcing the size to something larger.  Can you give us a link to your website, so we can see what's happening?
Visitor

Ok....I got what I wanted by changing the jpg Dimensions to 600x450.  Still, I must have been doing something wrong earlier.

Anyway, your suggestions let me know I was on the right track.

Thankyou very much,
Art

BTW, here's the URL to my website:
http://home.comcast.net/~rlhermann/wsb/index.html

Bronze Problem Solver

[ Edited ]
You have not resized at least this image on your web site: This one is still 1600x1200

Message Edited by FishMan on 06-18-2006 12:06 PM

Recognized Contributor

You must not have been resizing the images properly, or not uploading the right version.  For example, looking at site1013.jpg, it's 1600x1200 pixels (and with a file size of over a half-meg, which is way too large for a webpage - dialup users would never get to see it).

Another possibility - you may have resized the image, given it a new name, and uploaded it, but the webpage was still pointing to the original, oversized image!