Contributor
thedurhambrowns
Accepted Solution

Path to page created within my default page

I created a page with comcast's online web page creator and have a link called Durham Weather on the top along with all the standard links Home Blog Photos etc.  What pathe on the server puts the page under that link, so that, when that link is clicked my pre-created web page displays?

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

Re: Path to page created within my default page

I'm not sure if I quite understand your problem. Your home page is at

http://home.comcast.net/~username

Any pages under that will have this part added

/site/?/page/page_name  

where spaces are replaced by underlines.

So my page named Sample Photos is at:

http://home.comcast.net/~bethkatz/site/?/page/Sample_Photos/

Contributor
thedurhambrowns

Yes I understand how to get to my maine page via a browser, http://home.comcast.net/~thedurhambrowns/site/

However the path to upload my pre-created files to the server so that my page displays under the sub page, DURHAM MAINE WEATHER, is unclear.  That tab on the main page, I'm hoping would lead to the location where I have uploaded the file which displays my page, usa.htm, the main weather page.  All the other files related to that link would be stored in the same directory so that a person would be able to access them from the main page, usa.htm.  The old page, on suscoms servers (Comcast bought them a few years ago) is http://www.suscom-maine.net/~jfbrown/usa.htm

If you go there you will see the page which is currently functioning perfectly.  Unfortunately, at some point I fear this server will be shut down and the page will disappear.  Therefore I a am trying to create the same page within my default comcast page, under that tab under the title called DURHAM MAINE WEATHER.    The upload path is very straightforward on the suscom server, server name, www.suscom-maine .net, then my username and password in the FTP login section of the automated software I use to both create and upload the page.  The upload path on the server is /public/www, again very straightforward.  I have tried several upload paths to the home.comcast.net server, as well as the upload.comcast.net server.  None have worked so far.  I simply need that path so when one clicks on DURHAM MAINE WEATHER, it leads to usa.htm, which leads to all the other links contained within the page. 

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

Okay, I think I see what you want. You can't have it within your Comcast-tool-built pages. That tool is simplistic and won't give you the control you need.

However, if you upload the content to a page named usa.htm in your Comcast space by using upload.comcast.net, you would be able to see it as

http://home.comcast.net/~username/usa.htm

Note that the web server is case sensitive, so it matters whether you use usa.htm or USA.htm. If you just upload to your space, the URL will be the top level I show above.

The page would NOT be under the pages built with the Comcast tool. However, you could put a link to it on your DURHAM MAINE WEATHER page. And you could have a direct bookmark to it for your own use. 

This assumes that the usa.htm page does not need any server side scripting where you need to install files and make them executable.

Contributor
thedurhambrowns

I actually tried something similar early in the game.  I created a directory called duarhammaineweather in the public directory and tried to upload my web page files to that.  Unfortunately, my automated software was unsucccessful in uploading the files that are my web page.

Yet, when using an FTP program, FTP commander and the windows based one, tried both, the files appeared in the root directory rather than the path I used /public/durhammaineweather. 

Now, even if I succeed in doing this, and so far I have not, I still have to figure out the url I'd use to get to the page.  Not only did the files appear in the root directory of my personal web space, but only the JPEGS showed up.  All the htm and html files simply were nowhere to be found.  Odd indeed.  Security of some sort since malicious code could be written within those files?   Perhaps I need a www after durhammaineweather?  Much like the path I now use to upload to the suscom server /public/www except of course the additon parameter of /durhammaineweather

What's really humurous about all this is even though I am uploading to www.suscom-maine.net, let's face it, I'm really uploading to comcast since suscom is now owned by comcast.  Now, as you say, I could just place a link on the DURHAM MAINE WEATHER page I created with your software, however, that would mean placing the rest of the files that are linked to from that page in another directory that the link would have to point to.  That of course is only true if comcast decides to shut down the server where my page resides currently.  If they don't intend to then all this is for 'nought.  Any idea about their intentions on your end?

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

There should be no "public" in the URL, no "www". What I wrote above is what you'll use. For instance, I have uploaded a file called stitch.html and it is in my top level directory. I can access it with

http://home.comcast.net/~bethkatz/stitch.html

There is a link there to a page in the stitch subdirectory called roots.html

http://home.comcast.net/~bethkatz/stitch/roots.html

What do you see when you look at the files using the Comcast File Manager? You will not see any of the site files built with the Comcast tool. That directory and those files are hidden:

https://publish.comcast.net/filemanager/files/all/

In the past, absorbed system web pages disappeared. You do need to move the pages.

Contributor
thedurhambrowns

Ok.  Did this.  Created a subdirectory in Public called durhammaineweather and tried to uplooad the files that my automated software creates.  My problem was that for some reason I was under the impression that the path to usa.htm within that folder was more complicated then it actually was.   The upload path was Public/durmaineweather.  When I inserted that path into the automated software, WA LA, the page is now accessible though the link, http://home.comcast.net/~thedurhambrowns/Public/durhammaineweather/usa.htm The files that are linked to from there now appear in the subdirectory as well and the page functions as it should.   Perfect!!!  Thank you so much.  I placed the aforementioned link into a line below the title and it appears on the page, while not ideal it'll do. It would be nice if I could turn that link into some sort of JPEG, like a picture of my house, so when people click on the house they go straight to the page.  I'm sure there is some sort of  html code that would do this but I haven't delved that deeply to discover what that might be.  Anyway, at least I no longer have the concern that my previous page will be shutdown, because it now lives on the upload.comcast.net server.  Thanks again, you've been a big help.  I sure wish problems like this were put into the instructions for creating web pages.    

Contributor
thedurhambrowns

Just a quick side note.  The Public folder is automatically created by your software and I think uploading to a subdirectory within that directory eliminates the step of making all the necessary files public? yes.  That of course would never be done with my automated software so uploading to a subdirectory within the root directory and outside of the Public directory might make the files be non public and prevent people from actually seeing the page.  Not really sure if that's true or not but either way uploading to a subdirectory within Public seems to work. 

Web Page Expert
lead5alpha

Files uploaded by an ftp client to upload.comcast.net or to a subdirectory for your account at upload.comcast.net are automatically marked as "public".    Comcast's file manager does not mark files public and they have to be individually set to public.  Using ftp is better for this reason.

Contributor
thedurhambrowns

Excellent.  My software contains its own ftp client, and I have the windows one as well as ftp commander.  Thanks again.

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

Great to see you got it working.

If you had created a folder with any name (other than "site" which would have disappeared) and uploaded to that with an FTP program, it would have been marked public.

To make a picture link in the Comcast page builder, insert the picture using the image icon (tree). Then drag over the picture in the page editor to select it. Choose the link icon (link in chain). Enter the desired URL.

If it were my page, I'd have both a picture link and a text link.

Contributor
thedurhambrowns

Thanks again, worked perfectly!!!  I wasn't sure how to start a new topic so I'll ask a new question here.

Is there a way to separate images in the gallery into folders.  So, instead of having a bunch of random images scattered across the page, there would be a folder with a name that explains each set of images. When an individual clicks on that folder, the images appear.  I tried creating a directory called MAILBOAT within the pwp images folder but as I expected it did not show up with the images already there.  I also tried to create a directory with pictures in the public folder, but when trying to access that forder with a URL path, as one might expect, it tells me I don't have permission to view the directory.   Even when I'm signed in.  Not surprising since then the world would be able to delete, add, manipulate files in that folder.  So, bottom line, is there a way to organize the gallery?

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

No, you can't organize the gallery pictures in any way. I think they are in the order in which they were added. It's been a while since I added any, but I think mine are in that order

The Comcast page building tools as well as the pages they build are simplistic and limited in their usefulness.

Contributor
thedurhambrowns

Afetr asking the question I soon discovered that was the case from other posts. Thanks anyway. I've decoded to urilize my google email and upload to PICASA.  Very nice google site.

Contributor
thedurhambrowns

Would be nice if I could type better.  But I think you get the idea