Bronze Problem Solver
lunski

Personal Web Pages - Comcast FAQ's (FEEDBACK)

[ Edited ]

Hello Everyone,

I have to admit, I am by no means an expert as some of you are on PWP. I have seen a lot of activity lately concerning a variety of actual issues to posts that are only inquiries that may be able to be answered by the FAQ below. While I am still learning to distinguish the two, I would like to ask for feedback to be posted to this thread. Below is the URL to the Comcast FAQ's concerning PWP.

Comcast PWP FAQ's

I have a few questions concerning them.

1. Do they support PWP without falling outside our demarcation?
  2. Does anything need to be updated, edited, etc.?
  3. Do you have any suggestions or feedback?
  4. Please let me know if you believe yourself to be a PWP SuperUser and willing to be assigned or dedicated to assisting others in this forum (This is currently one of many ideas running in my head, just send me an email if you are interested and your ideas).
  5. Anything... Anything at all... that you think would be helpful to all PWP users...

George Lunski
"Retired" Comcast Help Forums Administrator
Regular Contributor

Re: Personal Web Pages - Comcast FAQ's

[ Edited ]

George...looks like everything is working, I see thumbnails

now AND they are L/R and UP/DN properly !

I would suggest one correction to the picture attachment

scheme though. Make it attach a picture atleast as wide as

the Template/Scheme you are utilizing. In my case 560 pixels.

The current 480 leaves a .75 in blank area that could be put to

good use. Then the scaling can go down from that figure.

Other than that...again KUDOS to you and the team for fixing

AND improving things. Happy holidays to you as well !

Message Edited by nofx on 11-24-2008 05:26 PM
Web Page Expert
lead5alpha

George,

The FAQ needs to list for users of 3rd party software the acceptable file names for the main page of the user's website that the directory directive list on the server looks at to default to http://home.comcast.net/~username/   I have not seen it in the FAQ but it may be there somewhere.  These

include index.htm, index.html, default.htm, default.html, home.htm, home.html, test.htm, & test.html.  There may be others that your server accepts.  Users of 3rd party web authoring software need to know what they are.

Web Page Expert
lead5alpha

George,

FAQ for 3rd party web authoring software need to also include that the server is case sensitive.  index. htm for example is not the same file as INDEX.HTML.  This is why some have trouble with links to daughter pages and image files or getting their default main page file working.  I did not see it in the FAQ but did not spend a lot of time looking for it.

Contributor

George,

I've been through the FAQ's, The support folks (3 times) and i've yet to have anyone point me in the direction of information that would help me publish a site I've generated and transferred up.. Frankly I'm 

on the forum to see if sombody other than your support folks knows how it works.

Web Page Expert
lead5alpha

[ Edited ]

Author your pages on your work station with 3rd party html editor. Your main page should be named index.html or index.htm. These are the file names associated with your web address http://home.comcast.net/~username/ There are a few other names that work but you need to use one of the accepted ones so that the comcast server associates the file with your web address. This file will then be the one served up instead of the comcast built page. The server is case sensitive so 64IMPALA.html is not the same page as 64impala.html or any other combo of upper and lower case letters.

There are three ways you can upload your pages. You can use an ftp client to upload your web files to upload.comcast.net. There are free ftp clients available such as CoreFTP LE. The upload address for an ftp client is upload.comcast.net Also windows has one built into it . Just open a Windows Explorer window (not Internet Explorer) and type ftp://upload.comcast.net into the address window. Your folder on the server will open after you enter username and password. Open a second Windows Explorer window and drag your web files to the server.

Many web authoring programs have a publisher built into it. You may be able to upload with the web authoring program. Usually the upload address for built-in publishing programs is ftp://upload.comcast.net instead of upload.comcast.net.

Finally you can use Comcast's file manager. Go to https://publish.comcast.net/ You can upload files there but you have an 8mb upload limit and you have to mark each file as public. It is kind of slow and clunky to use.

Files uploaded by the first two methods are marked public by default and there is not a limit on file upload size for ftp.

Message Edited by lead5alpha on 01-23-2009 10:58 PM
Contributor

yep. done all of that all my files are up on the server but wont show.

I did create a second page and begin to edit it from the wizard and can 

make things appear but i can get my home page up nor change the format 

of the site.... and my page was named index.html

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

[ Edited ]

Could you please post the URL for your pages? For example, mine are at

http://home.comcast.net/~bethkatz/

Are you sure you clicked Publish as well as Save? That would be if you had built them with the Comcast tools.

But since you built them with some other tool and uploaded them, please also mention what tool you used and whether you uploaded all the supporting files.

That's another thing to put in the FAQs. You cannot use site or pwpimages as the name of subfolders if you use a third-party tool. 

By the way, the link in the first post of this thread sometimes gives me a page load error instead of going to the FAQs. And I sometimes get a page load error when navigating within the FAQs.

Message Edited by bethkatz on 11-30-2008 03:40 PM
Web Page Expert
BethKatz

On topic for the purpose of this thread but long ...

The FAQs do have a lot of useful updated information if people would look at them. It would be good if we could easily link to a particular sub-part there. Some comments working top to bottom ...

For getting started,
- mention that web pages need to be enabled (give link)
- have a link to the publishing site (that's where you get started)

- note what the user's web page URL will be.
- include 'Be sure to Publish your Home page as well as Save it.'
The text implies that you can adjust the other pages (blog, photos, ...) when you can't.  Remember that they most likely will not read the other FAQs.

I don't know the purpose of the How do I publish Web page files to my Personal Web Page? FAQ. But the link does not work. It says it is https://publish.comcast.net/cgi-bin/pp_upload

The Rules of the Road have a couple of bugs
- The amount of space is no longer 25MB. It's 1 GB.
- The tools do not provide a way to make a backup, so suggesting that a user should do that is misleading. Good idea, but not reasonably possible.

I don't do FrontPage or Windows and won't comment on those parts.

What Features are available is out-of-date. The PWP tools provide simplistic calendar, events, polls, guest book, weather, hit counter, and blogs. I suppose FrontPage extensions are also included but only if you don't use the PWP tools. The FAQ mentions address list, newsletter, and password protection. There is no address list and related newsletter feature.

The biggest problem I see there is mentioning the Password Protection. It is no longer supported. You cannot password protect your website or parts of it.

Under third-party (as others have noted) mention ...
- use index.html for main page (list the file names that work)
- put your main page at the top level of your file space so that it is at http://home.comcast.net/~username/index.html where it will be available as http://home.comcast.net/~username like pages created with the Comcast tool
- the file names are case-sensitive. BestFilms.html is not bestfilms.html
- spaces and punctuation in file names can be problems (list allowed options)
- upload all the supporting files and subfolders
- do not use subfolders named site or pwpimages (they are hidden special folders used by the PWP tools)
- it notes that no server-side scripting is allowed; keep that note
- if you use the Comcast PWP tools, your pages are not destroyed; the index.html file will be moved/renamed to index.timestamp.html; just rename it back to index.html to get your main page back.

What should I ... Photo Gallery is not up-to-date because we can now choose Add to Photo Gallery for photos uploaded with FTP. There are more ways to update now.

What should I ... image links is misleading. It seems to be from the old system. The URL given with a right-click within the File Manager is weird and disturbingly long. The images are at your web site name / file name where the file names are case sensitive. If the image is in your photo gallery, access it as a user from the web browser, click on it to display it, and copy the URL from there.

Is my online storage space secure? it says it is. But is it? Which folder is accessible only by my password through the web and https? I can get to a file in the myfilelocker folder from a web browser unless I explicitly make it private. I've asked about this in a separate thread.

I don't really use the widgets and won't comment. Same for blogs.

The new FAQs about the File Manager seem good if you update the navigation bar images and mention the new ways to do photos.

There's a lot of good stuff here, but no one reads directions. We all want it to work the way we want it to work and right now.

New Visitor

I'm totally confused, only because some of the terms used are still foreign to me. I have new mac book pro. I used the mobile me trial period to get an idea on what i wanted on my site. I used iweb 08.  Is that something I can do with comcast too? 
Web Page Expert
lead5alpha

You can use third party authoring software like IWeb. 

Create your pages on your work station.  Upload your pages and supporting files (images, backgrounds, etc) to comcast.  Your main page should be named index.html or index.htm They are some other acceptable file names you can also use for the main page.  Those two are the most common used.  Your web page will be located at http://home.comcast.net/~username/ if the html file is named index.html or index.htm

The upload address is upload.comcast.net  Use an ftp client. Some authoring programs have a built in publishing tool you can use to upload.  Sometimes they use the address ftp://upload.comcast.net  Finally you could upload with comcasts PWP file manager but it is slow and clunky and then each file has to be marked public.  FTP uploads are automatically marked public.

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

For iWeb, you need to publish your site to a folder. Then use some other file transfer tool (I use CyberDuck but many other Mac people use FileZilla) to upload *all* the files and folders in that folder where you saved your site.

iWeb creates a separate folder for each page of your site. All of those must be uploaded with the same arrangement as is on your home machine. The main page will be saved as index.html even if iWeb calls in Home.html. There will be a Home_files folder and a Media folder and probably others. If you have a page named Lemon, there will be a Lemon_files folder. Lots of folders.

If you use a drag-and-drop file transfer program, connect to the Comcast server. In the Finder, go to the folder where you published your web site. Select All. Drag them to the Comcast server pane. After it's all transferred, the file structure on the Comcast server at the top level you see should match what was in the folder where you published your site on your Mac. The Comcast server should deliver that top level index.html page as your web page.

New Visitor

--

Dear George:

In answering your request for help in helping people, I think your FAQ here is getting to be a good resource.  Especially, take a look at "lead5alpha's" comments - I teach web authoring at university level and have always had trouble using Comcast's "tools".  The problem is they need to be set up as a training forum for folks that don't know how to build web pages -- currently they are set up for advanced users and by reading the notes in this forum, these are average folks like you and me and beginners who are looking for assistance."     

Very Best,

drmare

Visitor

I have a question about the name of the site we are given. I want my viewers to be able to go directly to the name of the site which is www.icefoxdigital.net.

Is there any way to do this? I really don't want to have the PWP designation.

Thanks,

Olivia 

Bronze Problem Solver

[ Edited ]

oliviad wrote:

I have a question about the name of the site we are given. I want my viewers to be able to go directly to the name of the site which is www.icefoxdigital.net.

Is there any way to do this? I really don't want to have the PWP designation.

Thanks,

Olivia 

The way to do that is to have your site hosted on a hosting service that allows this. Or, have the registrar of your domain redirect your domain to your Comcast PWP address. I suggest the former rather than the latter approach.

Sites hosted on Comcast's PWP have to have the address http://home.comcast.net/~YourUsername

Message Edited by FishMan on 01-24-2009 07:34 AM
Visitor

Thanks fishman,

This is what I suspected and is a really bummer. I was hoping to migrate all my stuff here and it seems rather retarded to offer services so poorly managed.

Olivia 

Bronze Problem Solver

oliviad wrote:

Thanks fishman,

This is what I suspected and is a really bummer. I was hoping to migrate all my stuff here and it seems rather retarded to offer services so poorly managed.

Olivia 

Comcast offers personal web page space. You are looking for web hosting services. Comcast does not offer the service you are looking for, so how is that "...rather retarded to offer services so poorly managed"?

It is best to host your site at a hosting company rather than at an ISP who's primary business is not hosting.

Visitor

Listen here bubba,

You are offering space that most people, given their experiences with, oh say, ANY other service, would EXPect this.

I haven't seen this since dial-up! So yes, I will be doing as you so genially suggest and look for an ISP that will suit my (and almost any other professionals) needs.

However, I would suggest that you take your snippy tone and shove it, and see about making this a more complete and satisfying (isn't that what Comcast claims) service.

Warmest regards,

Someone who may be leaving your services sooner rather than not 

Bronze Problem Solver

oliviad wrote:

Listen here bubba,

You are offering space that most people, given their experiences with, oh say, ANY other service, would EXPect this.

I haven't seen this since dial-up! So yes, I will be doing as you so genially suggest and look for an ISP that will suit my (and almost any other professionals) needs.

However, I would suggest that you take your snippy tone and shove it, and see about making this a more complete and satisfying (isn't that what Comcast claims) service.

Warmest regards,

Someone who may be leaving your services sooner rather than not 

You seem to not understand that most here could care less if you leave or not. We are customers just like you.

You asked about services not provided by Comcast in your OP and I answered you, even providing a suggestion for a solution. You first attacked Comcast for not providing hosting services, then when I offered a solution you attacked me.

You are not encouraging your fellow customers to help you. I will not respond to you again. Good luck in finding a good hosting company like most of us here have done.

Connection Expert
EG

[ Edited ]

oliviad wrote:

Listen here bubba,

Name calling is immature, unnecessary, and is a violation of the forum guidelines.

You overreacted and are acting foolishly here..

FishMan did nothing to deserve that treatment.

Good luck to you in your future choices..

Message Edited by EG on 01-24-2009 05:41 PM
Connection Expert
EG

It is sometimes a thankless endeavor volunteering one's time to try and help out around here FishMan... :smileysad:

Bronze Problem Solver

EG wrote:

It is sometimes a thankless endeavor volunteering one's time to try and help out around here FishMan... :smileysad:

You've got that right EG. maybe someone else will come by and suggest some good hosting alternatives. I know I won't be offering any suggestions.

Contributor

A helpful thread here ... but there's one point I'm stumped on.  In 2007 I uploaded a cheesy "home page" hosted by Comcast.  Now I've tried to update my page with the PWP authoring tools, and none of the new pages or uploaded files appear on my existing page, even using the "publish" and "save" option.  Do I have to delete the index.html file I uploaded in order for the PWP tool to take priority?

:smileyconfused:

PJ

Web Page Expert
lead5alpha

>Do I have to delete the index.html file I uploaded in order for the PWP tool to take priority?

To see the page created with the comcast PWP tools you can not have an index.html file in your folder.  Once the index.html file is removed or renamed the default page displayed will then be the page created with the comcast PWP tools.

Contributor

You're definitely the "alpha dog" in this pack!  I found the original html index file and zapped it ... allowing the new PWP to appear.  Now ... if I could only figure out how to use Comcast's file manager to drop large (10-20mb) FTP'd pdf files into a page I created to view them.  The proprietary pwp___ folders don't show up in FileZilla, so I uploaded into a generic folder that I can access from file manager ... but no way to get to the folder from the web page.

Hmmm.....??????

:smileycry:

PJ

Bronze Problem Solver

PJW4CRCC wrote:

You're definitely the "alpha dog" in this pack!  I found the original html index file and zapped it ... allowing the new PWP to appear.  Now ... if I could only figure out how to use Comcast's file manager to drop large (10-20mb) FTP'd pdf files into a page I created to view them.  The proprietary pwp___ folders don't show up in FileZilla, so I uploaded into a generic folder that I can access from file manager ... but no way to get to the folder from the web page.

Hmmm.....??????

:smileycry:

PJ

My suggestion, stop trying to mix the use of the Comcast tools and ftp. Use FTP to upload your pdf file. The Comcast tools have a file size limit, FTP does not.

So using only FTP upload your files to upload.comcast.net. If your pdf file is named MyCreation.pdf then it will be visible at http://home.comcast.net/~YourUsername/MyCreation.pdf

Web Page Expert
lead5alpha

>if I could only figure out how to use Comcast's file manager to drop large (10-20mb)

Comcast has an 8 MB file size limit on uploads with the PWP tools.  Like Fishman indicates FTP does not have a file size limit.  Once you upload the file by FTP you will be able to see it with the Comcast PWP tools and link it to your page.

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

PJW, saving a page with the Comcast tools should have moved your index.html file to another name (index.timestamp.html). You shouldn't have needed to delete it. That movement seems to always happen when I make any chanegs to my pages with the Comcast tools. I have to move my normal (non-Comcast-tool) index.html back where it belongs.

I agree that you probably shouldn't be mixing the tools although they can coexist. You'll need a third-party FTP to upload large files.

Web Page Expert
lead5alpha

[ Edited ]

I think he had said he wrote his page with the old tools prior to the conversion last fall so that is why he might have had an index.page.

I don't use the comcast tools so what Beth indicates should happen.  On the old comcast PWP tools you could integrate the comcast tools with a third party written page.  The new system is not designed to do that and mixing tools is not very practical.

Message Edited by lead5alpha on 01-28-2009 07:39 AM
Contributor

The link to my home page worked once I figured out the url ... thanks for the help!!

:smileylaugh:

PJ

New Visitor

My question, posted just below yours is not asnwered anywhere on any link from the page you refer to.

And it seems like such a fundamental question. Where is the PWP tool that the helppages talk about. Nowhere does any help page say how to reach that tool.

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

[ Edited ]

Although someone answered your question below, I'll answer here, too.

The link to the PWP tools is on the Comcast main page under More Comcast (far right) and then under Personal Web Pages. It is also on the My Account (near the Email link) page where you need to go to enable your web pages before you start using them. 

The direct link to the PWP tools is https://publish.comcast.net/home/index/

You need to enable your pages even if you plan to use some other tool to build them.

It is annoying that the Getting Started help page doesn't give the PWP tool link above. It may not be needed on every page, but it should be more visible.

Message Edited by bethkatz on 02-13-2009 10:17 PM
Web Page Expert
BethKatz

Question about seeing newly created pages moved out of FAQs to its own thread - seeing newly created pages.

New Visitor

I just wanted to add my own experiences here as a first-time website builder and comcast website user.

I built my little website with the understanding that I could password protect it (it has some personal info on it that I intended to only be accessible to me and family), because that's what all the promotional info said. When I couldn't figure out how to apply the password protection, I searched the FAQ's. This also told me that I could password protect the site, but didn't tell me how. I then emailed Support Services, and received this reply:

"Thank you for taking the time to write us.

The feature you are looking for is actually part of Front Page. 

To get assistance with the personal web page features, we have created
an online Forum that will answer questions about the advance features:

http://forums.comcast.net/comcastsupport/board?board.id=3

Thank you for the opportunity to assist you.  If you need further
assistance with any of your Comcast services please reply to this email
and we will be happy to assist you.  Thank you again for choosing
Comcast we appreciate your business.  To visit our local support page
including links to contact us via Live Chat, as well as many
downloadable forms, and FAQ pages, please visit:  http://www.comcast.com/nesupport/"

At which point I searched this forum for my answer, only to find out that the answer is apparently: "no, there is no way to password protect my website".

I must admit, I consider this a pretty big deal. Since I'm not creating a business website, what exactly is the point of building a personal website that I can't put any personal information on, for fear of identity or information theft? There are far better places to blog or chat with people, and I don't really want the whole world having access to my personal photos and information and such. I would consider this a strong flaw in the design, compounded tenfold by the fact that it is presented many times over by Comcast as a "promotional point" for using the service. Please fix the FAQ's accordingly.

And who do I contact about the password protection problem?

Thanks!

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

No, you cannot password protect sections of your pages in a way that you can give your friends and family members the password. You can protect sections so that only you have access to them. But you should not give friends and family your overall Comcast password.

There doesn't seem to be Personal Web Page tool feedback set up right now. You can send a personal message to Comcast George (click on his name on this thread). 

Visitor

I have built a webpage several days ago it says on the comcast web developer tool that the page is published but I am stilll receiving an error Comming Soon!  I had tried to send notes several times through the contact us, I receive errors, I placed an entry on this discussion board a few days ago, I have recieved 4 emails saying there are updates, when I click on the links they all say message not Found.  I have tried searching for the message using advanced search but I can't find it either?  I am starting to get tired of typing the same question over and over only to have it error out or disappear.  Why am a receiving a Comming Soon Message when I try to view my website when the Comcast Site Builder Tool Says My site is Published?  I hope this message doesn't disappear before I get a chance to see how to learn how to fix this.
Web Page Expert
BethKatz

[ Edited ]

A few of us answered your question. I moved the thread out of the FAQs to make it more obvious. I'm sorry that doing so made it harder for you to see the solution. I won't do that again.

Clear your web browser cache. Quit your web browser. Reload the page.

I can see your web page. It is at:

http://home.comcast.net/~silveradoman123

Message Edited by bethkatz on 03-19-2009 10:16 AM
New Visitor

[ Edited ]

Thanks Comcast for offering a free, simple solution to simple webhosting.

Message Edited by wdheritage on 07-14-2009 06:51 PM
Bronze Problem Solver

wdheritage wrote:

Can I use java scripting in my web pages?

Yes. javascript is client-side so it will work.

New Visitor

thank you Fishman!  I discovered when I use the ftp services, it works like a charm!  thanks again!  this solution suits my simple needs.
Recognized Contributor

This is a comment about the PWP FAQ linked to by the first post of this thread.  There are two main problems with the FAQ - one is the content and the other is the presentation.

Content:  I find it rare to find what I'm looking for.  For example, how do I implement a Hit Counter or any of the other features that Comcast advertises for PWPs?  That information seems to be missing (especially if you roll your own pages).  How do I implement a blog?  Missing. 

Presentation:  The pop-up window approach is - to be blunt - inept, because it takes away the browser's back button and prevents me bookmarking the answer.  More importantly though, the help pages don't link to useful information.  For example, the page that lists the PWP features should link to pages that provide more information about the feature - something like what's required, what it does in non-marketing terms, how to implement it and any implications of using that feature.  

And thirdly: The distinction between web hosting and what Comcast provides, and this is addressed to the moderators here, is something that Comcast does not acknowledge.  You have found, through trial and error, that Comcast's web hosting leaves something to be desired.  What is needed is a clear statement about what Comcast does not do, or does not do well.  For example, items like having your own URL or server side scripting or implementing widgets should be addressed in a form that can be easily added to as questions arise.  That way, when someone asks how to do something that Comcast doesn't do very well, you have someplace to send them - and that's where you can tell them they need a different host.  Remember most people coming here are frustrated with Comcast support, the online Q&A thing rarely provides useful information (it has never provided an answer for me), live chat rarely solves anything, and the email thing rarely provides a useful answer. 

Sorry this is negative but you asked the question about the PWP FAQ page and while it may be the best that a volunteer group can do, it is only minimally helpful.  

Cheers, Neil.

Recognized Contributor

Here's some info that I got from Comcast Customer Support while they were side stepping a question of mine.  Comcast Personal Web Page service only supports the following file types and extensions:

-Image Formats
GIF Image:.gif
JPEG Image:.jpeg, .jpg, .jpe

-Text Formats
HTML Text:.htm, .html
-Plain Text:.txt
Rich Text (RTF):.rtx

-Sound Formats
Basic Audio:.au, .snd
MIDI Audio:.midi, .mid
Wave Audio:.wav
RealAudio:.ra, .ram

-Video Formats
MPEG Video:.mpeg, .mpg, .mpe
Microsoft Video:.avi
Apple Quicktime:.qt, .mov

-Application Files
Microsoft Word:.doc
Microsoft Excel:.xls, .xlw, .xla, .xlc, .xlm, .xlt
Microsoft Powerpoint:.ppt, .pps, .pot
Macromedia Director:.dir, .dxr, .dcr
Adobe Acrobat:.pdf

-Archive Formats
Macintosh BinHex:.hqx
ZIP Archive:.zip

-Other Types
Javascript&colon.js
Postscript:.ps, .eps
Executable:.bin, .exe
Flash:.swf

Since this came from Comcast Customer Support, I can't say how accurate this is.  It also begs the question "What does it mean that you support these file types?".   For example there's no mention of .css (cascading style sheet), even though most web pages have or should have one, or .ico for Icon, both of which work with my PWP.  Most of these really seem to be file types supported by the browsers.  I really thought I was providing useful, factual, information from support but the more I look at it the fuzzier it gets.  Oh well.

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

MadScotsman wrote:

...   For example there's no mention of .css (cascading style sheet), even though most web pages have or should have one, or .ico for Icon, both of which work with my PWP.  Most of these really seem to be file types supported by the browsers.  I really thought I was providing useful, factual, information from support but the more I look at it the fuzzier it gets.  Oh well.

There are two sides to the 'what does Comcast support?' question.

On one side is the Comcast PWP tool which is very simple and doesn't have a lot of features.

On the other side is Comcast providing space for web pages you've built with some other tool and uploaded to your file space.

If you build your pages with some other tool and upload them to the Comcast server, you can definitely use CSS. You cannot use server-side scripting. Your main page should be named index.html (or one of the other accepted main page names). Case matters in file names.

I haven't looked at the Comcast PWP tools all summer, so I'm not sure if there have been any changes to make them more flexible. But they did have many limitations on what you could include. For example, I hadn't been able to embed a video whether it was hosted here or elsewhere. But I could do that on pages I built with another tool and had uploaded to my web page space.

So what Comcast supports depends on whether or not you are using their PWP-building tools.
Recognized Contributor

bethkatz - you're exactly right - it all depends on whether you are using the PWP-building tools or not.  My point is that Comcast needs to acknowledge that difference in their Help and FAQ items, which was the point of this thread (an open ended question about the help and FAQ files) and was at the root of my posts. 
Bronze Problem Solver
lunski

ComcastGeorge wrote:

Hello Everyone,

I have to admit, I am by no means an expert as some of you are on PWP. I have seen a lot of activity lately concerning a variety of actual issues to posts that are only inquiries that may be able to be answered by the FAQ below. While I am still learning to distinguish the two, I would like to ask for feedback to be posted to this thread. Below is the URL to the Comcast FAQ's concerning PWP.

Comcast PWP FAQ's

I have a few questions concerning them.

1. Do they support PWP without falling outside our demarcation?
  2. Does anything need to be updated, edited, etc.?
  3. Do you have any suggestions or feedback?
  4. Please let me know if you believe yourself to be a PWP SuperUser and willing to be assigned or dedicated to assisting others in this forum (This is currently one of many ideas running in my head, just send me an email if you are interested and your ideas).
  5. Anything... Anything at all... that you think would be helpful to all PWP users...

I am currently desticki'ing this thread as we are currently reviewing and updating all of our FAQS.

I appreciate the feedback everyone.

George Lunski
"Retired" Comcast Help Forums Administrator
Recognized Contributor

George:  That's good news that y'all are reviewing the FAQs, but the thread you just added, which points to the PWP FAQs, needs a big warning sign.  Those PWP FAQs only refer to using Comcast's web building tools and do not apply to anyone rolling their own pages.  That's especially important since almost everyone that helps out on this forum would recommend anything but Comcast's web building tools.

Thinking about it, one huge problem is that Comcast uses PWP to refer to both the web site that is built, and the tools that are used to build the web site.  I recommend that your FAQ list starts with an introductory FAQ that clearly explains the two ways of building a web site - with Comcast tools or not - and that all other FAQs clearly identify which method they apply to.

If you would like some outside help with your FAQ pages, please let us know.  I know I would help a bit and I'm sure other contributors would as well.  I'm making this offer for myself in the assumption that you are serious about providing useful documentation - if all you're doing is checking the accuracy of the existing FAQs, then forget it for me.

Some of the things I would like to see in the FAQ section:

- An introduction that talks about the two ways of building a website (Comcast tools or roll your own)

- The pros and cons to the two methods are stated explicitly, including things like the lack of support for the Comcast tools, implications of usng the Comcast tools (can't back them up and can't move them to another host), no server side scripting except Frontpage extensions and the functionality available with Comcast tools

- All the little things we've found out through trial and error, like index.html is the first file and the Comcast tools rename index.html

- How to do things like add a hit counter or blog or other functionality that can be done through a third party web site

- How to integrate your domain name with a Comcast PWP

I really hope you change the presentation of the FAQ section.  Just now, when you click on a FAQ, it displays that info on the same page which means you can't bookmark just the FAQ.  It would be much easier to use if each FAQ was a separate page that was linked to, like every other FAQ page on the web.

Let us know if or how I (or we) can help.

Cheers, Neil.

New Visitor

I don't understand. The link to the FAQ points to a FAQ that has nothing to do with personal web pages.

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

[ Edited ]

It used to point to useful info almost two years ago. But Comcast has rearranged their help system.

This page describes the Personal Web Pages:

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/internet/getting-started-with-personal-web-pages/

Before you begin, you need to enable your web page space. Do that at Customer Central:

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/internet/make-changes-xfinity-internet-settings/

Then the web page publishing tool starts at this page which has some tutorials:

https://publish.comcast.net/home/

I must note, however, that the Comcast page-building tools are limited and simplistic. There are other options. I strongly discourage you from using these tools for anything important.

Edit: I have asked that the FAQs be un-stickied because they don't point to useful info anymore.

New Visitor

Thank you much. I'd love to hear what the other options are.

At this point, I have an old page that I made and am trying to get rid of it and make a new page.  When It says View Your Webpage (or whatever wording it has) all it does is take me to that OLD page that I have gone thru Manage File and deleted over and over and over.

I hate this and am now half out of my mind and becoming hysterical and dehydrated from screaming and laughing.  Thanks again.

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

It's getting late, but I list some options on this page. There are other options such as Google Sites which avoids Comcast altogether.

Go to the Create and Edit Pages part and click on the red X to delete old pages.

The reason you may be seeing things you think you've deleted is that web browsers cache (save for quick display) some pages. So your web browser may be trying to be helpful.