Contributor

Personal webpage dead

I have been unable to access my personal Comcast webpage since yesterday.
Regular Problem Solver
Murphy

Re: Personal webpage dead

ram1950 wrote:
I have been unable to access my personal Comcast webpage since yesterday.

Mine are also missing.

:smileysad:

Regular Visitor

My web page is down also. Interestingly, I can access all my files using a ftp program or html editor program.

Silver Problem Solver
andyross

Unable to connect

Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at home.comcast.net.

New Visitor
Dwaynegartner

I cannot connect to my web page either starting on 2-9-13 between 12:00 to 15:00.  I can access and view my content of the home.comcast.net directory via my FTP transfer program but cannot open using either Explorer or Chrome.  Comcast  told me it might take up to 72 hours to fix if they can figure out the problem.

New Visitor
jsfotographic

I've got the same thing going on.

I can upload and manage files but I cannot load my webpage to view images.

Is there some type of maintenance going on that is preventing this?

New Visitor
hvrhon

Same issue for me. Why hasn't anyone from Comcast replied to these posts?

New Visitor
Yakamoto26

My website/pages are nothing but 404s as well. I happened to be making updates on 2/9 and spent hours thinking I had done something wrong before I scrapped all my updates and then could not get a simple simplest html down page to render once I hat uploaded it to Comcast.  I even had a chat with Comcast/Xfinity support all I could get was the following: “However, we have department that handles issue with personal web pages. You can call them at : 1-888-483-3246”.  As I am out of time maybe someone can get more info.  How is it that Comcast does not seem to have a status page or from what I can tell has even acknowledged the issue in the forums or anywhere. 

Visitor

Same here. It seems to be a Firefox 18 problem. I just upgraded to that before I noticed the problem. The page comes up in IE. When I tried to sign in to xfnity.comcast.com it wouldn't let me until I changed the Firefox setting "Tell websties I do not want to be tracked" but that hasn't changed the ability to see my personal web page.

Contributor
RasperHelpdesk

Mine just came back up.

Visitor

Mine is back up in Firefox now.

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

This was not a web browser problem. Comcast had a problem with the web page server. It was down for at least a day. It was very difficult to find someone to pay attention to the problem.

Comcast may discontinue the personal web page feature at any time. Be sure you have backups of your content elsewhere.

We encourage you to move your pages to someplace safer. One option is Google Sites. Another is Weebly. There are other free options.

For my business, I use a paid hosting service.

New Visitor
theledguy

Our personal web pages have been "temporarily unavailable" for 2+ months.  They are from home.comcast.net   I have talked with technical support a few times, including today.  They made changes and assured me the site would be up and it still gives me the same message.

Any ideas?

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

Keep pestering them?

Contributor
Contributor

Same thing happening to me, and it's late July 2013.  Why do the images on my home.comcast.net server not load on other sites?  Why do the images links give me a "Sorry this page is temporarily unavailable" message? Why can't I login to any home.comcast.net pages with FTP?

HELP

Web Page Expert
lead5alpha

[ Edited ]

FTP is working, I have access to my pages at this time.

What error message do you get when you use your ftp client to access upload.comcast.net?  upload.comcast.net is the address for ftp access not home.comcast.net. 

Have you also tried an alternate FTP client to see if it might be a problem with the client's settings.

The web interface tool for the comcast web page tool is at https://publish.comcast.net/home/index/ See if you can access your pages there.

The comcast server is case sensitive so 64impala.jpg is not the same file as 64IMPALA.JPG.  The link and the file name must match exactly by case.

Contributor
Contributor

[ Edited ]

Well, the FTP says the password is wrong (and yes, I'm using upload.comcast.net.  It's the same access as my Xfinity login, and that works, so I'm going to doubt that it's wrong, for now.

The publish.comcast.net link gives me a "login here" popup and then takes me to "My Account" but there's nothing there about web pages. 

Opening home.comcast.net leads me to: https://publish.comcast.net/splash/disabled/  Which makes me think something has changed on their end. 

The images that I've uploaded (and that have displayed on my blog for years) do not.  When I open the image link, I see only http://home.comcast.net/oops.gif. 

And in the event that it IS my FTP login that is incorrect, how could I go about changing the password for it so I can retrieve the files?

Web Page Expert
lead5alpha

Be advised that comcast no longer provides web pages for new customers or old customers who did not enable the web page feature in their account settings. The option to enable web pages was removed from the 'my account' page.   If the web page was associated with a comcast secondary email account that you have deleted then the web pages associated with it are also gone.

Currently users that had web pages active have that feature grandfathered for their accounts.  However comcast may at any time decide not to continue with the grandfathered web page feature.  There basically is no support for the web page feature.

What is the url for your web page.   format is http://home.comcast.net/~username/

You will probably need to contact customer support but since comcast no longer offers this feature it is hard to get anyone who knows anything about the feature.  You will need to get your issue elevated to someone who knows something about the web pages.

Contributor
Contributor

[ Edited ]
Thanks, I was using the home.comcast area primarily for online image storage, although a website I made DID also stop working within the last month or so.

:Removed: is one such site.  It too says "this site is temporarily unavailable".  As this is a sub-account, it's possible any notice of closure went to the main account (where I know it was ignored and deleted by that person).

Web Page Expert
lead5alpha

Your site is working when I go to it.  I assume it has been fixed.

Contributor
Contributor

Yes! A chat with a tech, an escalated service ticket, and 72 hours of mystery. Whatever, Comcast. Thanks.
Networking Expert
kevj
New Visitor
joeloudy

My Personal Webpage also crashed this morning.  Years of text and hard work down the drain.  Comcast tells me they can't resort webpage to a previous date... which is unheard of.  Are they doing this because they want to discourage the Personal WP service?  How ironic that a new service prov ider arrived at my doorstep last night.  Considering Comcast's neglect in helping me out, how can't I begin to look elsewhere.  Service is way too important!

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

Search for your pages online*. There are caches around the web. Grab a backup archive of your content from one of those places.

Then call Comcast and ask to speak to someone who understands the personal web page system. Be persistent but polite.

Nevertheless, EVERYONE who has content at Comcast's personal web pages should have that content stored elsewhere. Comcast can remove the personal web page capability at any time.

* How to search: Search at Google for your username and a unique word or phrase. In the returned search result, there may be a down arrow at the end of the link. Click that to see "cached". Then in Google Chrome (other web browsers have similar features), choose File > Save Page As and use "Web Page Complete". It will save the page and a folder for the files. It gets a lot of your content if it's been lost. Not all, but a lot.

Contributor

It's now mid-August, 2013-- did your PWP ever become available again, or was the temporary status actually permanent?