Web Page Expert
BethKatz

Publishing a site built with iWeb or other web page tool

Someone sent me email asking about publishing their iWeb built web site to their Comcast space. I thought it would be good to post it here as a reminder. Much of what I mention here applies to using any third-party web page building tool.

Save the iWeb site with File / Publish to a Folder.

Be sure the main page has a name like home or main. The standard home page name across the web is index. But if you need to change it, do it in iWeb so that all the supporting files change. iWeb has a supporting folder for each page containing its images and style sheets.

Enable your Comcast pages under My Account.

Get a third-party FTP program. I use CyberDuck but other people use CoreFTP or CuteFTP or other FTP program. You'll need to upload all the files and supporting files to the Comcast server, and they'll need to be public. Using a third-party FTP program makes that happen. Doing it with Comcast's File Manager tool is torture.

The server is named upload.comcast.net
 and you use your Comcast username (without the @comcast.net) and your password.

Copy the contents of that "published" folder into the top level of the space you have on Comcast's server. This will "just work". But you have to get all the files. 

Your site will be at http://home.comcast.net/~username   
Note the tilde (~) before the username.

New Visitor
williambyers

Re: Publishing a site built with iWeb or other web page tool

I have moved everything to Comcast

williambyers directory

assets.http:........

index.html

the page works from my folder on the Mac

but it doesn't work from comcast....

I suspect that I have not gotten the files in the right place????

how do I get them to the "top" level of the comcast space?

when I go to the ~williambyers I get the first page of my old site, but nothing else working

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

You copied all the files to the Comcast server keeping the same arrangement of files?

I'll look at it when I'm on my computer - not my iPhone.
New Visitor
williambyers

I just figured it out.

Thanks

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

When I looked, the page seemed to be created with iWeb.

Did you just need to refresh your web browser or was it something else? If you explain what you did, you might help the next person who runs into the problem. Thank you.