Contributor
Accepted Solution

Server Unavailable Error

Hello, my daughter has now made her personal web page on Kompozer.  I have been trying to publish it to my Comcast web space using the address ftp://upload.comcast.net but keep getting the error message server is not available.  It has been 2 days now, and every try (at different times of day) I get the same message.  What am I doing wrong?  Is the server really unavailable? 

My account is turned on, and there is a page up... how do I get rid of that one and put the other one up when it finally gets published?

Thanks!

Petesmom

Web Page Expert
lead5alpha

Re: Server Unavailable Error

[ Edited ]

Are you trying to use Kompozer to publish or an FTP client?  I just checked with Composer and was able to publish on my account. 

As a check try to publish using Windows FTP.  Open any windows explorer window (not Internet Explorer).  Erase what is displayedin the address bar.  Type in ftp://upload.comcast.net.  Hit enter.  Your folder on the comcast server will open.   Open another windows explorer window to your web page files.  Drag them to the comcast server.  If this works a setting must be incorrect in Kompozer.

Also her main page must be named index.html or index. htm in order for the page to be served up to replace the comcast default page.  The server is case sensitive so Index.HTML would not work.

Message Edited by lead5alpha on 10-24-2009 01:11 PM
Service Expert
Again

petesmom wrote:

Hello, my daughter has now made her personal web page on Kompozer.  I have been trying to publish it to my Comcast web space using the address ftp://upload.comcast.net but keep getting the error message server is not available.  It has been 2 days now, and every try (at different times of day) I get the same message.  What am I doing wrong?  Is the server really unavailable? 

My account is turned on, and there is a page up... how do I get rid of that one and put the other one up when it finally gets published?

Thanks!

Petesmom

Try upload.comcast.net instead of ftp://upload.comcast.net .

"When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be."
--- Lao Tzu ---

"I am you and you are me. Teach me about you and I will teach you about me, and we'll find we aren't so different after all."
--- © James Scott 2012

Contributor

I went online and chatted with a Comcast Customer Service rep, apparently the server that my area uses is down and has been for the past 2 days.  She said that it should be up again within 24 hours. 

If it isn't, does anyone know of a free hosting site that doesn't have ads??? This is my daughter's scholarship project, and it's not allowed to have ads on the page with it...   It has to be up and running this week to qualify, and it's not that I don't trust Comcast to get the server fixed, but I need a back up just in case of emergencies.

Thanks!

petesmom

Web Page Expert
lead5alpha

This does not sound right to me.  I doubt that comcast stores web pages on regional servers.  There might be a cache servers throughout the network that cache traffic to be speed up browsing but that should not effect accessing the web server.   Maybe someone else is more familiar with the network setup.

Did you try an alternate ftp client to upload instead of uploading from Kompozer.  CoreFTP Lite is free and a good ftp client. Use upload.comcast.net for the address.   If you can't connect with a second ftp client, then there would be an account or server problem.

All of the free web hosting I am aware of have ads and you have to purchase from them to have the ads removed.

Contributor

OK, that's what the service rep. had told me, but when I tried using Smart ftp, it uploaded.

THANK YOU!!!!!!

NEW PROBLEM...   My daughter had originally tried to build a site using the PWP builder, the new pages are up, they are public, and they are not showing!!!!!  The horrible original page is still showing.  We deleted all of the files associated with it, but it's still there (minus pictures)!!!  It is listed as the default page and is not able to be deleted.  How do I get rid of it so that our direct address goes right to the newly uploaded pages?

Thanks, we're almost there!!!!!!!

Petesmom

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

The name of the main page for her site must be index.html or index.htm. Case matters. Index.html with a capital I won't do it. Some other names work, but I always use index.html because that is universally accepted.

Also, if you uploaded the new stuff and then went into the Comcast tool to delete those pages, the tools would have moved your page to a file with a name that has a text timestamp in the middle of it. Move that file back to index.html or upload it again.

If you used index.html and don't see your page, refresh the page, clear your browser cache, and perhaps log out and log in again.

Web Page Expert
lead5alpha

If you named your page something other than index.html or index.htm it will not override the default comcast page.  Like Beth stated you will need to rename the main page to index.html. 

In the meantime you can type the address into the browser window to see the page you have uploaded.  Use this format.  http://home.comcast.net/~username/filename.html    You should be able to see the page but it won't replace the comcast default page until it is named index.html

Contributor

I went back to check, and it is named index.html (lowercase i). 

I did not touch the PWP file or do anything to the file creating program since you said that it could override the new page.  I deleted all of the files for the new site and re-uploaded them, so they would be the most recent,  but the PWP program file is still showing.

Any ideas?  Could it possibly take some time to show up?

Thanks so much for your help!

Petesmom

Contributor

THANK YOU,  THANK YOU,  THANK YOU!!!!!!

You are both wonderful!

The site is up and running, and my daughter is so relieved!!! 

We could not have done it without you!

Have a nice night and wonderful rest of the weekend!

In case you're interested, the site is luscombe.home.comcast.net  

Web Page Expert
lead5alpha

Very nice looking page.  Good luck to your daughter on her scholarship.
Web Page Expert
BethKatz

The page looks good and much better than it would have if you had used Comcast's page-building tool to create it.

If she can manage to do one more change, she should check that she spells Rhio's name correctly at the beginning of her essay. It's an unusual name, and a picky evaluator may stumble over the mistake and have that stick in their mind.

Good luck with the scholarship.

Beth - Mom to an 11th-grader and 9th-grader 

Contributor

Thank you for finding that... we can handle the change now that we have figured it all out (thanks to you!)   You're right... no good spelling the name of the scholarship honoree wrong! Can't tell you how many times we both read it and missed that...you start learning it by heart and miss little things.

Thanks again,

Petesmom

BTW, you'll probably be going through this soon... start looking for scholarships now (11th gr.) if you are going to try for some. There are even some open to 11th graders (we missed those because no one told us about them), and at the least, you'll get a feel for what's out there for next year.  My daughter is a sophomore in college, but she's still doing them because most are only a one time payment. Good Luck and thanks again for your help.

Thanks to lead5alpha as well, you have both been great!

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

I'm also a college professor and head of a scholarship committee (for a scholarship given to rising college seniors at my university). As much as you don't want to consider typos and writing problems, if they are there, you sometimes trip over them. And with a multitude of qualified applicants, it can influence who is chosen.

Thank you for the advice on starting to look now. There's so much to do.