Recognized Contributor

Some html files disappeared from web site

I have had a personal web site on comcast for many years.  I recently noticed that 2 html files disappeared from the site.  They have been on the site since 2005 and no updates have been done since they were originally uploaded.  Now I wonder what other files might be missing?  I certainly didn't delete them.  Maybe other files have disappeared too - who knows?

Is it common for files to just disappear?

--Larry

PS:  I have backups, so that's not an issue, but my site has hundreds of files and looking for any that just might be missing doesn't sound like much fun.  And just because they are there when I look it might not guarantee they will be there the next day.  So looking every day sounds like even less fun.....   :smileysad:

Silver Problem Solver
reasd

Re: Some html files disappeared from web site

Larrymcg62 wrote:

I have had a personal web site on comcast for many years.  I recently noticed that 2 html files disappeared from the site.  They have been on the site since 2005 and no updates have been done since they were originally uploaded.  Now I wonder what other files might be missing?  I certainly didn't delete them.  Maybe other files have disappeared too - who knows?

Is it common for files to just disappear?

--Larry

PS:  I have backups, so that's not an issue, but my site has hundreds of files and looking for any that just might be missing doesn't sound like much fun.  And just because they are there when I look it might not guarantee they will be there the next day.  So looking every day sounds like even less fun.....   :smileysad:

Hello,

Try learning how to use the search box in this forum. All these question has been answered numerous of times. If for any reason the threads did not answer your question post back.

Recognized Contributor

Of course I used the search box - I am an experienced forum user.  The searches that I did turned up lots of folks not being able to access their files, many of them caught up in the PWP conversion that happened some years ago.  There are a very few posts about files that were actually gone as opposed to files that could not be accessed.  I don't think there are any explanations for files just disappearing.  I will state my issue differently in case the original post was not clear.

The files of interest were on the site (uploaded via FTP June 2005).  They have been available for years.  I just discovered that the files are no longer on the PWP site.  All the other files are still there.  Using FTP I can see that the files are gone.  PWP also does not list them (but it shows all the other files in that folder).

--Larry

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

I don't know why reasd suggested you search for other threads where your problem might be addressed. Pages don't just disappear. And the search function in this forum is pretty lousy.

But I do wonder how you built your pages. If they are from 2005, you probably used the Comcast tool then available (which was much better than the current one), some other ISP's tool, or a third party tool. At some point, Comcast changed how they served the web pages. What worked before may not have worked after the change.

Is it possible that the missing pages had something unusual on them or in their filenames? For instance, did the file names have spaces or unusual punctuation? Were the names the same as other file names but differ only by case? I'm grasping at straws here since I don't know which files are missing.

Could they have been missing for a quite a while and you just now noticed?

Since you have backups, can you just upload them again? I realize that you don't want to go through your site looking for missing pages, but if you can identify a reason for why some pages are missing, it might aid your search.

Finding a way to fix it yourself may be more effective than asking Comcast to figure it out. They do not have people assigned to support personal web pages. Our recent experience here is that we need to help each other find solutions without getting Comcast involved. Yet we do not have access to file system to explore what might have happened.

Recognized Contributor

Thanks for the comments Beth.  I built the pages by entering HTML using HTML-Kit.  I've never used any of the tools from Comcast or other ISPs.  I still use HTML-Kit.  I uploaded the missing files again and they seem to be sticking in place.  The folder that held the files, has over 200 of these html files and they all have similar contents and names.  The folder also has two subfolders each with over 200 files.  All 600+ filenames are similar with mixed capitalization, no spaces (but with underscores where the spaces would have been) and no other special characters.  All these files are used to show 230 thumbnails which bring up the larger photo with links to go to the next and previous photos.

It certainly is possible that the files were missing for some time.  I believe that I cycled through all 230 photos in the last year or so -- I like revisiting our cruise photos!  If my memory is correct then they were all present in recent times.

Actually, I spent a lot of time yesterday going through my entire site and could not find anything else missing.

If you are interested you can see the subset of pages I'm talking about at:

http://lmmcgowan.home.comcast.net/~lmmcgowan/photos/spainhomepage/spain.html

--Larry

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

I don't know. I suppose it's possible that Comcast had a disk problem. Your naming convention should work fine. Nice pictures.

I'd write it off as random transient malfunction.