Visitor
Robo2011

Transferring Web page from Verizon

I have had a web page on Verizon for several years. I use Ws_ftp95 to upload my pages. I had to supply the Host name which was ftpmysite.verizon.net to get on to upload files.

Is there a Host name for Comcast so that I can transfer all my files to comcast ??

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

Re: Transferring Web page from Verizon

The server is upload.comcast.net with your comcast username (usually not with the @comcast.net but some FTP programs seem to use it) and password.

Before you put them there, you need to go to Customers (above) / Manage My Account / login and such / User & Settings and get to Enable pages (bottom of the Users & Settings list)

The web server is case sensitive, so you need to be sure your pages take that into account. The main page should be named index.html or one of the various other things that work. Using Index.html with a capital I does not work.

It should just work. Your site should appear at http://home.comcast.net/~username    (note the ~)

Contributor
roehrle

Hi Beth;

Just got all my files transferred from Verizon and I was surprised to find out that the Verizon web counter was still working on my new Comcast website. I don't know how long it will stay working so I have been looking at other free counters on the web. Most of them  have strings attached and I am not sure what will happen if I use one of this counters. Years ago I wrote a counter but lost it due to a computer crash. I remember having problems getting it to work but don't remember what the problems were. I thought I would ask around for a free one without having Ads attached to the counter before looking into writing a new one. You answered one of my e-mails recently that I shouldn't use the one that Comcast provides but didn't give a reason why. Do you have a reason why and would you like to share that reason with me?? .

Web Page Expert
lead5alpha

The comcast counter is only designed to work with the comcast online PWP tools.   I would suspect that your verizon counter will not function once they shutdown your account.  I use http://www.boingdragon.com/counters.html  They are free and have no ads attached. I use the simple American flag counter.  Just insert the code on your page's source code where you want the counter.

You can see the counter on my site.

Contributor
roehrle

Thanks for your quick reply.I checked out the link and it seems to be OK. The thing I can't understand is why you have to send him your e-mail address for him to send you the code??. It's beem over 10 years since I last worked on a web counter but I don't recall having to set up with anybody to get it to work. I was able to write a code that worked without needing a second server which apparently this system uses. Just wondering if he sells the addresses that he gets. Do you notice an increase in junk mail?

Web Page Expert
lead5alpha

I don't think he does.  I have had his counter on my veterans page since 2002.  Don't get any junk mail.  He does not want high volume sites using his counters or X-rated sites.  I image the email is so he can contact you if needed.

Comcast does not allow any server side scripting such as php, cgi, or mysql for web pages. Counters need the server side scripting installed on the server to run code you would place on your web page.  That is why the counter will need to run on someone else's server.

Contributor
roehrle

OK, I'll take you word for it. I'll give it a try.

Thanks again for your help.

One Vet to another. (Korea Vet 1950-1951) .

Web Page Expert
lead5alpha

Good luck with it and thank you for your service.

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

Thank you both for your service to our country.

We can't set the executable permissions on any file we upload. That's needed for any programs to run on the server. So Comcast's widgets work, but any we write won't. 

Contributor
roehrle

I have tried the web counter you suggested and I like the features that enable you to see the area where the hits are coming from. My old counter from Verizon has been working for over a month now. I'll keep both on my site.  I am a officer in a sailing club and if you like to see some good photos of sailboats you can see then on my site.

http://home.comcast.net/~roehrle/EEYC/index.html