Contributor
YogaDuane

Trouble Accessing Personal Web Page

I have had my personal web page up and running in its current form for about a year. It is written in Dreamweaver. Starting about a month ago everytime I try to access my web page using the address form provided by Comcast: http://yogaduane.home.comcast.net or http://home.comcast.net/~yogaduane I get an error message "Sorry we have encountered a techinical error and we cannot display the page you wanted." The address line shows Error_500.html. An Internet search indicates error 500 is a general server side error. I have gone on Comcast.net and all my web page files are there.

Comcast support has done nothing for three weeks. Has anyone had any similar problems or have any suggestions. 

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

Re: Trouble Accessing Personal Web Page

I've notified an administrator here, but no one at Comcast seems to take responsibility for the web pages.

While you wait, could you go over to your account and the Users & Settings page? Disable your pages and enable them again.

Contributor
YogaDuane

I can't seem to find where you disable your web pages and enable them again.

Contributor
YogaDuane

I found where to turn the personal web site on and off. I turned it off then turned it back on. I tried to access my web site and got  a different error message: " Sorry this website is temporarily unavailable."

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

You could try emailing Comcast through their Contact Us.

As best I can tell, they don't support web pages, and when there is a problem, they have to find someone who had an inkling of how they work.

Contributor
YogaDuane

Thanks Beth. I emailed Comcast yesterday. I will let you know what response I get.

Contributor
YogaDuane

Beth,

After waiting about a week and not receiving a reply to my email to Comcast, I decided to take things in my own hands. My neighbor has Comcast and doesn't use the web page option. He gave me his web page address and password. I copied my web page files to his address and voila everything worked. Last Friday I decided to check my site again and it is now working. Have yet to receive any word from Comcast support.

A pretty sad commentary on a large organization like Comcast.

Duane

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

You could have created a new account under yours instead of using your neighbor's.

Yes, Comcast's support of the web pages is lousy. But they could just remove the service altogether. You should always be prepared for that.

Contributor
YogaDuane

Beth,

How do I create a new web page under my account?  I tried disabling my web page and then coming back the next day and re-enabled it. It didn't help, I still couldn't access my web pages.

Duane 

Web Page Expert
lead5alpha

[ Edited ]

Comcast provides you with 7 accounts.  1 primary account & 6 secondary accounts.  Under the "my account" settings just create a secondary account and enable the webpages for it.  You get one email address and 1 web page for each account.  Load your web pages into the new secondary account or use the online web tools to author a page in the secondary account.  You must login to the authoring tools using the username and password for the secondary account.

I went to your website in your original post and it loads fine.  What do you mean by you still can't access it?

Contributor
YogaDuane

Beth,

After a month of being inacessible, it became accessible last Friday.

Duane