Regular Contributor

View and manage files uploading very slow

When I upload images it works quickly. When i go to other links on the comccast.net personal web pages everything else works fast. When I click on the View and Manage Files tab, it takes 10 minutes for that to finally upload. All of my images are uploaded "private" by default, so I need to make each of my images public. Is there anyway I can upload them public and skip that private stuff by? Or change my default to have them all automatically uplaod public? I can go to ftp://upload.comcast.net/ and see all of my files there, but if I don't make them public, they're useless in there. Or is there anyway I can make them public in there? Or is there a back door or something I can go to? Thanks, Mike
Bronze Problem Solver

Re: View and manage files uploading very slow

kovack wrote:
When I upload images it works quickly. When i go to other links on the comccast.net personal web pages everything else works fast. When I click on the View and Manage Files tab, it takes 10 minutes for that to finally upload. All of my images are uploaded "private" by default, so I need to make each of my images public. Is there anyway I can upload them public and skip that private stuff by? Or change my default to have them all automatically uplaod public? I can go to ftp://upload.comcast.net/ and see all of my files there, but if I don't make them public, they're useless in there. Or is there anyway I can make them public in there? Or is there a back door or something I can go to? Thanks, Mike

If you use FTP to upload your files/images they are automatically public. To see an image (for example an image named MyTruck.jpg) uploaded via ftp to upload.comcast.net you would point your browser to http://home.comcast.net/~yourUserName/MyTruck.jpg. Please note that case matters.

Regular Contributor

Thanks for the reply Fishman. I'm not a computer expert at all as you can probably tell. Anyway you can take me step by step? You told me to use FTP to upload..How do I do that? In the File Manager, I browse my photos and upload. Is that what your'e talking about? Or do I need a FTP program or something.Thanks in advance.
Bronze Problem Solver

kovack wrote:
Thanks for the reply Fishman. I'm not a computer expert at all as you can probably tell. Anyway you can take me step by step? You told me to use FTP to upload..How do I do that? In the File Manager, I browse my photos and upload. Is that what your'e talking about? Or do I need a FTP program or something.Thanks in advance.

You need an ftp program or if you are using windows you can use windows explorer.

These instructions show one method of uploading files to your PWP space from Windows XP. (You can also use a FTP client or the PWP Wizard)

1. Ensure you have enabled PWP for the account for which you want to upload files
2. Create or locate the files you want to upload on your computer. Remember where they are on your local computer
3. In windows XP right click on start then select explore
4. In the windows explorer address bar type "ftp://upload.comcast.net" then click go or enter
5. In the login window type in your username and password for the account where you want to upoload the files, click "Log On"
6. The contents of your PWP space will now be displayed in the window
7. Locate the files you want to upload and drag and drop them to the PWP space display window

Regular Contributor

Thanks much Fishman..I may be able to do this. Regards, Mike