New Visitor
roamndav
Accepted Solution

Web-server says i do not have permission to change my own webpages!

Am no pro with web programming, so had a friend try to help me out by adding a gradient to my web page backgrounds and uploading.  She used an FTP client but had trouble.  I finally figured out how to do this in Frontpage, and am now trying to publish to my personal webpage but the server now says I do not have permission to publish to my own pages!  I see that the pages I cannot access are the pages she tried to modify, so the FTP access must have changed something behind the scenes.  How/who do I contact about this?  I'm willing to just delete the whole thing and reload overnight if I have to but how do you do that if you don;t have server permission?  I use Frontpage to publish to the web and do not know how to use FTP clients or html programming.  Comcast help!

Web Page Expert
lead5alpha

Re: Web-server says i do not have permission to change my own webpages!

If you wrote your page and uploaded it by frontpage's http upload to utilize the frontpage extension features, my guess is that the ftp upload corrupted the frontpage extensions for those files.  I have not used frontpage in about 6 years but if you do a google search you will find that uploading by ftp can cause the frontpage extensions to become corrupted.   Frontpage files should only be uploaded using frontpage for this reason.

Delete the corrupted files and upload them again this time through Frontpage.  See if that fixes it.  If that does not work and you have all of the files on your workstation, then delete all of the files and upload everything by frontpage again.  If you still have trouble the extensions on the server might have gotten corrupted for your account and you might need to contact comcast to have them reinstalled.  Hopefully that is not the case because the web server is contracted out to a vendor and the help people don't have a clue about web page issues.

This is just one item I found on google:

"While you still will be able to use FTP normally with FrontPage extensions installed, it is not recommended; due to the complex file system that FrontPage maintains for proper functionality, moving or altering files with any tool other than tools using the FrontPage Extensions can cause the Extensions to become corrupt, requiring re-installation and/or re-publishing of your site. "

New Visitor
roamndav

Thank you for your reply...I figured as well that something like that ocurred with the FTP. 

I backed up my entire web, then did indeed try to delete my webpages by publishing an index page with just one word on it with no sub pages. However, the Index page is one of the corrupted pages so it won't let me make any changes!  It's been years since I've seen it, but is there not a web page or tool box area in your account settings somewhere where one can view their web structure directly?  I believe I am going to have to do delete my web by accessing the files directly or having someone behind the scenes at comcast delete the existing web so I can re-upload it in its entirety. 

Are you familiar with the area I am speaking or could you contact someone at comcast that has this ability?

Thanks for your reply.

JJ

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

You can get to see your files (as long as they were not built with the Comcast page building tool, which yours weren't) by going to the File Manager:

https://publish.comcast.net/filemanager/files/all/

You can delete the files there that are associated with your web site created with FrontPage.

You could upload a simple index.html file (pay attention to case: index.html is not Index.html)

But to get the FrontPage aspects to work, you'll need to upload from within FrontPage.

Getting anyone at Comcast to do anything with the web pages or web server is extremely difficult. No one knows who to ask about it.

New Visitor
roamndav

:smileycool:  Thanks so much for the info...THAT's the web page I was looking for!  Trust me, I've bookmarked that link in a bout 3 places this time!  I've deleted the corrupted pages ( a darn tedious process - can;t believe they don;t let you delete more than one file at a time) and have re-uploaded my entire web through Frontpage and everythign seems to be back in order.

Thanks again so much!

JJ

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

You're welcome. Glad I could help. Even happier that you got it working again.