Contributor

Worst Feature Ever

Comcast Personal Web Pages are unusuable.

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

Re: Worst Feature Ever

I agree that the Comcast page-building tool is a poor excuse for a tool. Notice that it is not supported or advertised. There are many reasons for that.

We strongly suggest that you use some other tool to build your pages. Upload them to upload.comcast.net using your Comcast ID without the @comcast.net. 

The main page should be named index.html (or one of the other names that work - that one does). The server is case-sensitive so index.html is good but Index.html (with a capital I) is not. Do not use server-side scripting.

Upload all supporting files using whatever FTP facility is provided by the tool you are using or a third-party FTP program.

If you have a business, I strongly suggest you host your pages elsewhere. These may go away at any time.

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

I use the Comcast features for my page and it works pretty good for what I need with some minor glitches that I learn to work around like:

• The HITS counter is useless. Probably because I have a Domain name that my pages are linked to.
  • I had trouble with the guestbook feature a long time back so I do not use it now. I use smartgb.com which is FREE and just link it via a page titled GUESTBOOK.
  • The CONTACT link sems difficult for some to use with the security feature. I wish there was a way to edit information on it to make people aware that it is CAPs sensitive.
  • I wish there was a way to add music to the pages. I've tried adding HTML codes but no progress.
Web Page Expert
BethKatz

Thank you for the comments. The HTML editor will strip out the music embedding. You're right that you can't make it happen using the Comcast tools. You could if you wrote the pages with another tool.

See this example: http://home.comcast.net/~bethkatz/mediaPlay.html

Contributor

[ Edited ]