Contributor
jft1227
Accepted Solution

printing on personal web page

When I print my personal web page it doesn't print the same way it appears on the computer screen. Why is that?

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

Re: printing on personal web page

Yes, if you try to print pages built with Comcast's tools, it prints the page title, shows the widgets, shows the names of the pages, and then shows the text and pictures. Pretty ugly. But the words are there.

Web pages aren't necessarily designed to be printed. You need to design them to be printable, and the Comcast tool fails to do that. It's much worse than other pages.

So what can you do? Hmmmm. Depends on why you are trying to print, how much content you have, and what you plan to do with your pages. For example, if you just want to show what they look like, can you take a screen snapshot and print that? If your pages have been up for a while, changing to something else may be a big problem. If you are just starting, switch to another tool that creates pages that are cleaner to print.

Could you please describe why you want to print so that we can help you choose some options?

Web Page Expert
lead5alpha

[ Edited ]

Because web pages are designed in pixels for various screen resolutions and printers are setup in inches usually for 8.5x11 paper this is difficult to accomplish.

The way to get an exact print of the page is to print the web page to a pdf utility to create a pdf of the page and then print the pdf file.  PrimoPDF is a free pdf print utility for windows that will create a pdf file of anything you can open with windows.  The version says XP/Vista but runs on Win7 without any problems.   There are other print to pdf utilities if look around on google.

Contributor
jft1227

I am new at this, but have started a club newsletter. The first page that comes up is the default page where I explain to the club how to get to the newsletter. You just click on the latest issue of the newsletter on the top line. When you open the newsletter it looks just like it does in Word. when you print it, it prints the default page and wigets first then the newsletter. If I make the newsletter a jpeg first then insert it would that work? Can you print it without the default page printing first?

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

What I would probably do is forget about using the Comcast tool to build your page. As much as I don't like using Microsoft Word as a page building tool, this may be a time to do it. It's the tool you have, and it works for something straightforward.

In Word, create what you would like your front page to look like. Have another page for each newsletter. I'd start with something very simple so that you understand the process. Then get content.

I have an example (click here), but it's been a while since I've played with it. Some of the words in the example explain what I did.

Essentially, create a one page document in Word and save it. Then use Save as Web Page which will create a file for the page (name it index.html where case matters - not Index.html) and a directory for all the page resources. Use a third-party FTP (it's built into Windows Explorer if you are using Windows) to upload the index.html file and the supporting directory.

If the Comcast web server sees that you have an index.html file, it will display that to visitors instead of the site built with the Comcast tool. If you go back to the Comcast page-building tool and change something, it will rename your index.html file (but not destroy it) to have a time/date stamp in the name. Rename it back to index.html to get it back.

You can create other pages with Word giving them different names, like 2011.10.html for the October newsletter. Just be sure to upload all the supporting files after using the Save as Web Page option.

Ask if you have questions.

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

Another option would be to have what you have now but save the Word version of the newsletter as a PDF file (start to print and then Save as PDF works on my Mac, and I think you can manage it in Windows).

Then upload the PDF file and have a link to it on your web page. When someone clicks the link, they'll get a choice for what to do with the PDF file.

But I think that makes you build the newsletter twice. That's tedious.

Web Page Expert
lead5alpha

Ok, understand what you want to do.  You want visitors to be able to print your newsletter.  The best option is to write your newsletter in MSWord.  It has a feature that lets you save the page as a pdf file. The pdf file will print exactly like the original newletter looks.

Upload and link the pdf file on your newsletter page.  Here is a sample of what you want to do.  This is my veterans association newsletter page.

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

I agree that if you want them to be able to download the newsletter, lead5alpha's approach is good.

If you want them to be able to view it on the web page, you'll need a bit more.

Contributor
jft1227

Thanks for your help. I'm a 70 year old grandma trying to keep up with my computer skills. I will try the pdf. Hopefully I won't need to bother you further.

Contributor
jft1227

Thanks for your help. I'm a 70 year old grandma trying to keep up with my computer skills. I will try the pdf. Hopefully I won't need to bother you further.

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

We don't mind your asking for help. Good luck with your newsletter.

Contributor
jft1227

I can't figure out how to upload and link the pdf file. It only appears to want jpg, gif png or bmp.

Your veterans newsletter is great. This is what I'm looking to do.

Web Page Expert
lead5alpha

After you have made your newsletter in word save it as a pdf file. Lets assume it is named NovNewsletter.pdf.

Upload it using comcast's file manager and mark it public.

Open another browser window and type the address of your homepage and the pdf file name like follows.  http://home.comcast.net/~username/NovNewsletter.pdf   The newsletter should open in your browser.  The server is case sensitive so NovNewsletter.pdf is not the same as novnewsletter.pdf.  Highlight the address in the address bar and select copy from the file menu.

Now open the page you want the newsletter on in the comcast editor.  Type in some text such as "View the November Newsletter."   Highlight the words 'November Newsletter".  Click on the link symbol and paste the address you copied into the link box that appears.   Save your edits and you should have the pdf linked to your page.

Contributor
jft1227

Thanks for the information. I followed your directions, but when clicked on the link symbol the link box came up but wouldn't let me paste in the address. It appears as an empty box and won't let me type or paste anything. (I made a pdf, put it in file management, made it public, opened a browser, type address of homepage. newsletter opens in browser. highlighted address and copied. opened page in editor typed and copied text. clicked on link symbol. got empty box and couldn't paste the address. Have I forgotten something?

Web Page Expert
lead5alpha

Did you highlight the text you want to link the pdf to and then click the link symbol?  You should be able to paste the address into the link box then.

Contributor
jft1227

I did. Anything else I might have forgotten?

Service Expert
Again

Reading this earlier this afternoon, I decided to walk myself through creating a link.  I only use the PWP for helping folks - not to the extent Beth has, however - because I have my own website.  But this is what I did.  We'll start AFTER the upload of the file, since you have already done that.

• Once I uploaded the file and made it public, I went back to the PWP homepage [not MY PWP page] and clicked on the Create & Edit Pages tab and then from the list selected the page I wanted my link to be found on and opened it. In this case, it was the page named test2.  This is a page that says "Published" in green on the right side. 
  • I then scrolled to the bottom of the page and typed in the word "Notice" [without the quotes]. 
  • Then I highlighted the word and clicked on the link icon.  When the box came up I removed anything that was in the link box and typed in "http://home.comcast.net/~myusername/filename.pdf" [without the quotes and where ~myusername is my personal username and filename.pdf is the name of the .pdf file].   
  • Under Target, I clicked the drop down box and used Open link in a new window, and then I clicked on Insert. 
  • Then I made sure that Status was Publish and then I clicked on Save.
  • In a new browser window I typed in the URL http://home.comcast.net/~myusername [or you can click on the Home tab and then on View My Site under Quick Tasks, then clicked on the page Test2 to open that page]
  • When my page came up, I clicked on the page named Test2, scrolled down to the word "Notice" [which is now underlined], and the PDF file opened in a new window.

I don't know if this will help or not, but if not, post back and we'll try other ideas.

"When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be."
--- Lao Tzu ---
"Life is not linear. It's all a circle. Our dust becomes the firmament on which the future walks."
--- © James Scott 2014 ---

Contributor
jft1227

I tried what you said. Highlighted the word and selected the link icon. The link box comes up but doesn't allow me to paste or type anything in it. If I go to the menu bar at the top of the screen the paste option is not available (it's not black, it's grey).

Web Page Expert
lead5alpha

What web browser are you using?  If you have a 2nd browser on your system try with it and see if it is still greyed out.  What you describe seems to be a browser issue when interfacing with the web authoring tool.  Firefox is a free download.  It does not have to be your primary browser but can be used to check something like this.

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

I'm back from teaching Boy Scout Leader Outdoor Skills training this weekend (at Camp Mack in example below). If you're still stuck, I can try to explore more.

But it does sound like there is a web browser problem. Right now, I'm trying to load publish.comcast.net in Chrome, and it isn't responding. But when it finally did respond, and I tried to make a link, I got an empty window. So Chrome didn't work.

But when I did the same thing in Firefox, it worked. See the screenshot below.

PWPlink̛Insert.jpg

Service Expert
Again

I should add I use ONLY Firefox.

--- Lao Tzu ---
"Life is not linear. It's all a circle. Our dust becomes the firmament on which the future walks."

Contributor
jft1227

Great! Foxfire let me insert the link... However, when I opened the web site and clicked on the linked words, it said 'Not Found , The requested URL/pages/editor/5/home.comcast.net/~janetft/Newsletternov11.pdf was not found on this server.'

Just want you guys to know that I really appreciate all the help you are giving me.

Web Page Expert
lead5alpha

[ Edited ]

You have the address for the publisher included in the link:  https://publish.comcast.net/pages/editor/5/home.comcast.net/~janetft/Newsletternov11.pdf

Just open the editor, highlight the link and erase the https://publish.comcast.net/pages/editor/5/ that is in front of  your pdf link. 

The link in the box should read http://home.comcast.net/~janetft/Newsletternov11.pdf

Nice newsletter.  My wife's sister lives in Dublin.

Service Expert
Again

YAY!!!!  You got it!  And it looks nice, too.

--- Lao Tzu ---

Contributor
jft1227

Can't thank you all enough for your time and patience. It works!

Web Page Expert
lead5alpha

Glad you got it working and thanks for your patience.  :-)