Regular Contributor

ABOUT THE MCAFEE NORTON CHANGE

I signed up for Comcast is Sept of 2009 and was told that I could have Mcafee free for one year... so what am I hearing now?  That they want us all to switch over to Nortons or are they still offering them both free until my Mcafee subscription is over with?  I like Mcafee.  If this is the case then why doesnt Comcast give us more information about this. LIKE in the mail or by email. I was on Comcast Security Website and it doesnt say a thing about having to switch.  I have hackers galore, when is my Mcafee service going to end, and how can I just keep it?  Is someone planning on contacting people or are we all just gonna get dropped?  Im not gonna do any uninstall and reinstall stuff, I happy with what I have and I am sure there are other comcast customers that feel this same way.  so now that we are happy with with we have and have it all nicely working on our compters they want us to switch to Norton or pay for Mcafee when it was suppose to be free...??  is that really what I am hearing....??  Whats the real scoop on this guys?

and your right this news does not make me happy....  

thanks for lissening to me vent...

Security Expert
CajunTek

Re: ABOUT THE MCAFEE NORTON CHANGE

I think, that so many have had issues with Mcafee and and its system guard turning itself off intermittently, the fact that it is a resource hog.. well they (Comcast) appears to be dumping it. This version of Norton is much lighter in resource use and generall behaves better. So remove Mcaffe and get Norton and live with it... Note please, I don't use either but if I were... it would be Norton.
TANSTAAFL!!

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

What happens to customers who are currently using the Comcast McAfee offer?

Customers who currently use McAfee will continue to be covered during a migration period.  During the migration period, Comcast will be asking customers to switch from McAfee to the Norton™ Security Suite. You can learn more about how to switch by clicking here (http://security.comcast.net/norton/resi/?cid=NET_33_256).

What will happen to customers that do not switch from McAfee to Norton?

If you take no action and do not switch from McAfee to Norton, the McAfee product will eventually become out-of-date and will not provide proper protection.  You will receive a message on your McAfee product advising you that you are no longer protected

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

[ Edited ]

A bit of addtional info from here:

"Existing high-speed Internet subscribers who have already downloaded McAfee will continue to be protected if they are currently using McAfee," says the e-mail. Existing users who simply prefer Norton to McAfee can download Norton instead -- but Comcast isn't forcing you to switch if you don't want to -- yet. Comcast says they'll support McAfee until May 12th, and will be prompting existing users to migrate over the next few months."

Message Edited by USAF_E-8_RET on 01-22-2010 09:59 AM

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

A bit more info from here:

"Comcast customers are given up to 7 licenses to accommodate the whole family. Business customers have up to 25 seats (note: the commercial package will not include parental controls for family safety and the value of the package reflects this).This is a great deal for Comcast customers (you can’t buy this at retail). This is a unique package Symantec put together for Comcast to meet their customers’ needs and is in line with the number of email accounts typically used by their residential and business customers."

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

I personally have used Norton in the past and ditched it over 2 years ago due to it loading the system down.  I have been using NIS 2010 on a Win 7 PC, an XP PC and a Vista laptop for the past month or so. 

The Norton of today isn't the Norton of years ago. It isn't bloated, it doesn't load the CPU, it doesn't require a lot of RAM to run, it doesn't slow the machine down, it uninstalls cleanly, it installed in under a minute, etc. All around a lot better than Norton of years ago.

The Security Suite that COMCAST is offering is in fact Norton's commercial offering of Norton 360.  Which is a step up from the NIS 2010 I am running.   Also Norton does have a forum that I have found informative. 

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

If anyone is interested in more info (as I was and have already emailed Comcast George about), here is a thread on the Norton Forums that talks about COMCAST's Security Suite and where to obtain tech support, etc   Link

Also here is the link for the Norton 360 Forum, as well as the link for the entire Norton Forums.

Regular Contributor

Before I uninstall Mcafee - can anyone tell me if they encountered any problems following the 'quick switch guide' found at http://security.comcast.net/norton/resi/?cid=33_230?

Or should I follow this advice...

http://forums.comcast.net/comcastsupport/board/message?board.id=13&message.id=72707#M72707

Thanks in advance...

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

[ Edited ]

myself, before you uninstall McAfee, enable the Windows firewall. This will protect your system during the time between uninstalling McAfee and installing Norton.

After you use Add Remove to uninstall McAfee, run the McAfee removal tool found HERE which is what McAfee recommends. This will (supposedly) get rid of any leftovers that were not uninstalled.

When you have done that, you can install Norton. After Norton is installed, disable the Windows firewall if it wasn't turned off during the install of Norton.

Like USAF, I used Norton for a couple of years in the past. I ditched it because of an issue I had that was caused by a Norton update.

A few days ago, I decided to try the Comcast offered Norton.

Compared to earlier versions, this one is by far the best.

As stated, it isn't as bloated or as much of a resource hog as it used to be.

The only problem I had was the download, which took a long time. However, it may be faster for you.

At this point, I'm trying it out and will decide later whether to keep it or not. So far I've had no issues with it.

edit to add: I looked at the 2nd link posted by myself after I made my post. It contains the same info I posted. If it were me, I'd follow the advice in the 2nd link.

Message Edited by Queen-Evie on 01-22-2010 11:23 AM

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.

Regular Contributor
newbomb_turk

i for one am happy with the switch i have been having issues for 2 weeks and nothing fixed it.thanks comcast!
Bronze Star Contributor

Norton is good too.  Norton caught a virus that Kaspersky Internet Security 2010 missed.  I thought there was something on my computer, but nothing was detecing it.

With Comcast Norton's Security Suite installed there is nothing you have to do.  I am currently subscribed to System Mechanic.  That I might cancel after my time is up and that isn't until Oct' 3.  Norton Security Suite does it all.

Security Expert
CWH803

Re: ABOUT THE McAfee to NORTON CHANGE

[ Edited ]

FFwFire touts and smiles about having the "Free from Comcast" Norton Security Suite and said "With [the free from] Comcast Norton Security Suite installed there is nothing you have to do" and concluded with "Norton Security Suite does it all."  

I'd advise that Norton Security Suite, as good as it has become, is not sufficient by itself to prevent all malware. This short coming is true of all of the popular Security Suites. 

The reason I say that, is that malware comes in so many forms that multiple, overlapping tools and procedures are needed to maximize your protection.  I would urge you to install, update, and run all of these useful protector/blocker and scanner/cleaner Anti-malware tools and Procedures with your "mighty fine" Norton Security Suite.

Edit for clarity. 

When I say "mighty fine" Norton Security Suite I mean that I consider the "Free from Comcast" Norton Security Suite an excellent anti-malware solution. 

Suites that I would recommend you consider are Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) which is free from Microsoft, Kaspersky Internet Security (KIS), TREND MICRO Internet Security, Symantec’s Norton 360™, which is free from Comcast as Norton Security Suite, ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security (ZES), or McAfee Internet Security (MIS).

As good as these suites are, none is sufficient by itself to prevent all malware. Therefore I highly recommend you use the Protective Software and Anti-Malware Procedures (one two-way software firewall and one anti-virus tool) plus all of the rest of the Anti-malware tools and Procedures described.

Message Edited by CWH803 on 01-28-2010 09:27 AM

Signature: 127.0.0.1, Sweet 127.0.0.1 and I recommend all of these Anti-malware tools and Procedures. (updated May 2010)
Bronze Star Contributor

[ Edited ]

You can only install one antivirus at a time!  If you install more than that they can conflict and you could wind up with problems.  It also depends on your browsing habits and where you go and what you do.  I have never came into contact with all malware.  Have you?  No.

Yes, my mighty norton.  The same could be said about them all.  Just as you say it is not enough for one antivirus (the mighty norton).  Why don't you just say one antivirus alone could never catch all the malware and adware by itself that you need adaware or spybot.  I use threatfire and adaware, but adaware doesn't catch everything either.

It also depends where you travel.  If you are downloading from p2ps then yes you could get a lot of viruses.  It depends on how you use your computer and if you don't use it for that much out of games well then there really isn't much you are going to get.

What you are saying.  You can say that about any of them.  I wasn't talking like you were.  You know why they call it 360, because it can even optimize your computer.  It does just about everything you need it to do. That is why I like it.  It can even optimize your computer so could Mcafee.  I just like Norton better.

"I'd advise that Norton Security Suite, as good as it has become, is not sufficient by itself to prevent all malware. This short coming is true of all of the popular Security Suites."

No, it is true with them all.  One is never enough, but you can only install one antivirus.  Although there are a few on demand scanners that you can use that you can use to scan only. 

Edit:  And another thing it does it remembers usernames and passwords.  I don't think the Mcafee version did that.

Message Edited by ffwfire on 01-27-2010 02:39 PM
Connection Expert
EG

[ Edited ]

ffwfire wrote:

It also depends on your browsing habits and where you go and what you do.

It also depends where you travel.  If you are downloading from p2ps then yes you could get a lot of viruses.  It depends on how you use your computer and if you don't use it for that much out of games well then there really isn't much you are going to get.

Unfortunately this conventional wisdom of safe hex and not surfing to known nefarious sites is no longer completely so. One can obtain malware/viruses from completely innocent looking popular and not so popular sites...

Message Edited by EG on 01-28-2010 11:30 AM
Visitor

I have to agree with the post about today's Norton being better than the old Norton.... to a point.  In the past, when buying a new computer, the first thing I would do is sit down and remove ALL traces of Norton.  I have been using McAfee for years, and I have never had a problem with it's performance or security.  When I found that Comcast was offering McAfee to it's customers, I loaded it onto everything I owned.

Last week I noticed the switch to Norton 360, so I uninstalled and wiped McAfee off, and loaded Norton on.  I am amazed that I am able to type this post before I die of old age, because none of my computers are digesting Norton.  Including the new netbook that has never contacted the internet before the Norton load up.

Now I have system & program crashes constantly.  Norton updater fights with windows autoupdater all the time.  The "ccSvcHst.exe" process from Norton now eats up a ton of my resources, and I am enjoying the blazing fast internet speeds similar to Windows 98 on dial-up.

I've enjoyed almost everything else offered by Comcast (I'm a triple package owner), but I'm going to uninstall and wipe Norton again, and pay for something else. SORRY Comcast, but my computers are crawling slower than if I had an actual virus.

Some things should be left alone unless absolutely necessary... maybe Comcast should offer a choice ?!?!?

Connection Expert
EG

One size never fits all as far as A/V apps go. Everyone's particular computing environment is different and perhaps unique.
Service Expert
Queen-Evie

I tried McAfee on a computer that I no longer have. Immediately after I installed McAfee, the computer started running slower than a turtle. So slow that I couldn't get Add Remove programs to open so I could uninstall McAfee. Luckily, everything was backed up and after spending an hour trying to get to a point where I could uninstall McAfee, I gave up and did clean install of Windows.

A bit drastic, but it got McAfee off the computer.

I have a canned speech I give about security programs: there is no one size fits all when it comes to computer security. What works for one person may not play nice with someone else's system. 
So it is possible that Norton and your computer cannot play together well.

Security Expert
CWH803

FFwFire,  Your interpretation of my post above indicates I was not sufficiently clear in expressing my intended view point. I've edited that post to more clearly convey my meaning.

I meant to say in that post:

When I say "mighty fine" Norton Security Suite I mean that I consider the "Free from Comcast" Norton Security Suite to be an excellent anti-malware solution. 

Suites that I recommend are Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) which is free from Microsoft, Kaspersky Internet Security (KIS), TREND MICRO Internet Security, Symantec’s Norton 360™, which is free from Comcast as Norton Security Suite, ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security (ZES), or McAfee Internet Security (MIS).

The suite chosen from this list of excellent anti-malware tools will be a personal preference based upon system requirements, comparative tests of malware detection, embedded functionality, performance on your computer, and User Interface characteristics.

But as good as these suites are, none is sufficient by itself to prevent all malware.

Therefore I highly recommend installers of any suite (or component anti-virus and software firewall) also use the Protective Software and Anti-Malware Procedures described in Anti-malware tools and Procedures.

It is essential that only one two-way software firewall and one anti-virus tool be used whether you select a suite, which contains both functions, or two separate components, each containing one of these functions.

Have you considered using as part of your own anti-malware tools and procedures Data Execution Prevention (DEP), the Principal of Least Privilege, Internet Explorer (IE) Mitigation, Secunia Software Inspectors, or the Download Vetting Procedure?

Signature: 127.0.0.1, Sweet 127.0.0.1 and I recommend all of these Anti-malware tools and Procedures. (updated May 2010)
Security Expert
CWH803

FFwFire opined "[The probability of becoming infected] also depends on your browsing habits and where you go and what you do." 

And asserted "[The probability of becoming infected] also depends where you travel.  If you are downloading from p2ps then, yes you could get a lot of viruses. [The probability of becoming infected]depends on how you use your computer and if you don't use it for that much [except for] games, well then there really isn't much [malware] you are going to get.

This is no longer true.  Avoiding nefarious sites is no longer sufficient. Now there are numerous legitimate Websites with malicious JavaScript code or iFrames implanted in them from direct compromise or from indirect compromise via banner ads. These legitimate sites target unpatched or unmitigated browser vulnerabilities and then install malware onto your machine.  Some of these infections give no hint of their occurrence.

Other manifestations of this problem are easy to see Fake pop-ups.  A common method of malware infection is a fake official looking pop-up that indicates you are infected and tricks you into downloading malware. Worse, clicking the Red X to close the fake pop-up also downloads the malware. You must terminate the browser session using Task Manager to avoid infection.

FFwFire also asked and answered the rhetorical question, "I have never came into contact with all malware.  Have you?  No."   Me either. My intent in saying "all malware" was to describe the reason that protection in depth against malware is a prudent strategy.

Visitor
portelaana

What part of the country are you because right here in PA Norton (used to be mcafee) comes with Comcast as long as you are their costomer.., in other words is free with comcast, not a year like you said.  It has been like that since I changed from AOL in 2005.

Well, I hope things have changed since then wherever you are.  I see this post is from a few years ago.

Good Luck!

Bronze Problem Solver
John3758

4 year old topic.