New Visitor
haha3000
Accepted Solution

BOT Pop Up WONT go away, NO Virus, can't get through the comcast either!

Hello I have been receiving the same emails and the embedded pop up regarding the Malware Alert and DNS Changer message. I have run 3 different virus scans on my computer (Trend Micro being the 24/7 main program, Malware Bytes and Windows Defender--they do not conflict w/each other) and NOTHING has been found. There are 3 computers in the house, all 3 have came up CLEAR in virus scans and checks.

The problem has been i have called this number 1-877-842-2112 (the number it demands you call on the pop up) for the past 2 days and have been on hold up to an HOUR at a time and then it disconnects me because i've just been on hold for an hour! I can NOT get through to anyone and have done EVERYTHING that this forum has suggested and even changed my IP address, reset DNS settings, reset my router to factory settings even and it still won't go away! please help me!!! i called every phone number at comcast and have been fighting with them all day because i took off from work today in order to solve the problem! i want the message to come off and don't want to pay another 130 dollars to have them "fix" my computer because i already pay them 200 a month for services! please help !!!!

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

Re: BOT Pop Up WONT go away, NO Virus, can't get through the com cast either!

Hi haha3000,

Have you followed the instructions provided in this link (no I am not suggesting the pay option)?

http://xfinity.comcast.net/constantguard/botassistance/dnsbot

I do not know what to tell you about the wait time on the 877 number - obviously you are not the only one with the situation.  Please be patient!

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Security Expert
LoPhatPhuud

[ Edited ]

Since you are dealing with the DNS Changer bot, first step is to confirm that you are indeed clean.

Go here:

http://dns-ok.us/

If the background is green, you are clean. If it's red, you are not.

If clean, then check here for more info on detects:

https://amibotted.comcast.net/

Also, it would not hurt to download and run this Microsoft Removal Tool:

http://www.microsoft.com/security/pc-security/malware-removal.aspx

"Once I talked to the inmates of an insane asylum in Hartford. I have talked to idiots a thousand times, but only once to the insane..."
Mark Twain

Microsoft MVP, Consumer Security, 2005-2014
Regular Visitor

Re: BOT Pop Up WONT go away, NO Virus, can't get through the comcast either!

Did you figure this out?   I'm having the same problem.   It's been going on for weeks.  I'm really getting the run around.

Security Expert
LoPhatPhuud

Re: BOT Pop Up WONT go away, NO Virus, can't get through the comcast either!

vickisheahan wrote:

Did you figure this out?   I'm having the same problem.   It's been going on for weeks.  I'm really getting the run around.

See my post above. Check to see if you are infected with the DNS Changer bot.  Also, check the AmIBotted link for more information on the detects.

Post back if you need more assistance.

"Once I talked to the inmates of an insane asylum in Hartford. I have talked to idiots a thousand times, but only once to the insane..."
Mark Twain

Regular Problem Solver
BlueJay

Hi LPP,

My curiosity has me checking these links.. I have a few questions..  You make a definitive statement that GREEN = CLEAN...  Does comcast/infinity have so little faith in their product that  they will only state that Green "appears" to be looking correctly.. 

The amibotted link came up with the following screen 2x...   As you can see, I am using a supported browser..  Just hope that any customers experiencing problems, don't go crazy trying to download a supported browser..  They certainly are having enough problems..

ciao, bj

am i botted.jpg

Security Expert
LoPhatPhuud

[ Edited ]

BJ,

For DNS Changer, it's infected (red) or not (green). There is no middle man. Nothing more need be said., The web site I linked to check the DNS address your computer is using. If they are on the list, your infected.

Also, before you start to lambast Comcast for the red/green message, perhaps you should check to see who owns the website. I'll leave that exercise up to you, but I will give you a hint; it isn't Comcast!

As to why you get the error message with IE8, I have no answers. I got them too, at one point, but not now. I am using IE9, FF10, and FF11.

Mark Twain

Regular Problem Solver
BlueJay

LPP,

Thanks for the enlightment..