Contributor
Javauno

Comcast FREE Security

Why was my Comcast Norton Security cancelled?  I do not recall it being only for a certain amount of time.

New Visitor

Re: Comcast FREE Security

I would also like to know why I no longer have Norton Security. I have had Comcast for 6 years & suddenly I am getting notifications from Norton to buy their security. Has security changed or why am I getting this? I just now tried to call CS & had a wait time of 19-29 minutes. Totally ridiculous to have that long a wait time. That is not good customer service!!

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

Hi Javauno  & jimnancybonds,

Norton Security Suite (NSS) from Comcast is provided free of charge for as long  as you are a customer  in good standing. 

Please tell us exactly what the notification said and how you received it (via popup/email ot your actual NSS main page showed a Red insecure)??  Please also tell us if you have recently installed Constant Guard Protection Suite?

Another method of trying to fix this situation is to follow the suggestion in the following link:

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Security-and-Anti-Virus/Info-for-customers-receiving-cautions-that-Nort...

Please keep us posted as to your progress.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

New Visitor

What is Constant Guard? What is good standing? I've been late with payment a couple times but have never been threatened with disconnect or losing my Norton. Can you re-install my Norton?

New Visitor

I have never been threatened with cancellation from Norton nor have I ever cancelled my Internet with Comcast. If it was erroneously reported, don't you think you guys need to get it straightened out?

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

[ Edited ]

If you have not been threatened with cancellation, you are OK as far as NSS goes.

I have provided you with a link for chat to attempt to get to the bottom of your situation.  Norton techs are (should) be aware of this sutuation and it is casued by a glitch betwwen the Norton and Comcast data bases from time to time.  They should be able to assist you in removing and reinstalling Norton Security Suite in order to rectify this situation, after they fix the data base. I can point you to FAQ's on this forum that will accomplish the same thing (remove/reinstall) however if there is a gltich between the two data bases the remove/reinstall will do no good - that is why I suggest you go thru Norton chat for assistance in correcting the data bases first.

FWIW, the experts on this forum are in fact Comcast customers (as you are) who volunteer their time answering other customers questions.  The presence of comcast employees is close to null and void on the forums (their user names are in RED).  If youhave a look around, you will see very few posts made by them.  So when you say "you guys need to get it straightened out" - please remember we are the messengers - we have no control over your system, account, etc. 

Let us know what your chat results are.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Contributor
Javauno

When I was on my PC today (4/9/12) I noticed that my NortonSecurity Suite icon in the bottom right had a red x.  When I clicked it, I see System Status at Risk in the top left and Your Norton Service has been cancelled and YOur Norton Service is not active in a box at the bottom of the page. I have  paid my comcast on time and online this month.

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

Hi again Javauno  & jimnancybonds,

I have received a request from Norton asking for a screenshot of the message you have recieved and also a screenshot of your About for Norton Security Suite.  You can get to About by clicking on Support on the main page of NSS and then Selecting About from the dropdown menu.   Norton is especially interesed in the version number and the SKU numbers shown in About in case you can not get the screenshot.

Please provide that info here and I will forward it if Norton does not pick it up from the forum.

Thanks in advance for the assistance.

Contributor
Javauno

I have made the screen shot but do not see how to attach it to this reply.

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

[ Edited ]

You need to use the green tree in the header of this reply box.

These instructions are from the Norton forum, but since they use the same forum program - it shuold work with this forum also:

http://community.norton.com/t5/Forum-Feedback/Forum-Tip-How-to-post-screenshots-in-the-forum/td-p/25...

Contributor
Javauno

Here is the screen shot showing cancelled.Norton Cancelled.JPG

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

Javauno wrote:

Here is the screen shot showing cancelled.Norton Cancelled.JPG

Thank you very much, any chance of getting a screenshot of the "ABOPUT" or at leastr tell us the Version Number and the SKU numbers?

Contributor
Javauno

I am not sure what the "ABOPUT" is .

Gold Problem Solver
BruceW

1. Open Norton
  2. Click Support
  3. Select About
Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

USAF_E-8_RET wrote:

Hi again Javauno  & jimnancybonds,

I have received a request from Norton asking for a screenshot of the message you have recieved and also a screenshot of your About for Norton Security Suite.  You can get to About by clicking on Support on the main page of NSS and then Selecting About from the dropdown menu.   Norton is especially interesed in the version number and the SKU numbers shown in About in case you can not get the screenshot.

Please provide that info here and I will forward it if Norton does not pick it up from the forum.

Thanks in advance for the assistance.

Hi Javauno,

BruceW got it right in his response and I did mention how to get there in a previous post.

I have heard back from Norton, they are looking into this and still desire the version number and SKU numbers, so your hlp will be appreciated.

Contributor
Javauno

Thanks. Here is everything in"About":

Product Name: Norton Security Suite
Version: 5.2.0.13
Media SKU: 21164128
Current SKU: 21164128
Family SKU: 0000000
End Point ID: {ce9ead3e-3b35-4835-a9d6-c850d915a4e3}
Vendor Name: Comcast

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

Thanks, info has been forwarded to Norton.

Contributor
Javauno

FYI,

I was away for a few days but left my PC off.  Now I am back and no info from Nortonso I took Comcast's advice and did a total uninstall and reinstall of NortonSecurity Suite 5.  It worked and I am PROTECTED AGAIN.

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

Hi Javauno,

I have not heard back from Norton either in regards to the addtional info you supplied, however doing the total uninstall and reinstall of NSS is the way we have corrected it in the past.  I believe Norton desired the info in hopes of being able to prevent the deactivation from happening.

Anyway glad that you got it sorted. 

Contributor
Javauno

Thanks again for your assistance and aedvice.

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

You're very welcome and now you know where to find us if you have any other security situations that need attention.