Visitor

Comcast Norton Security Suite and Windows 8.1

Well, I upgraded from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1 on the 19th. Upon finishing I had an issue with Comcast NSS. I uninstalled and then tried to reinstall from the Comcast NSS download page. It downloads fine but when I run the install it says that I must not run in compatibility mode or it won't work with my current version of windows. Is there anything I can do to install it or when will Comcast have the proper version to run with Windows 8.1?

Thank you

New Visitor
ikaros28

Re: Comcast Norton Security Suite and Windows 8.1

I have the exact same problem and can't find any solution for it. No other posts about it

New Visitor
whitemt81

Same issue.  Ugggg

New Visitor

Same Problem

New Visitor
ikaros28

Does Norton or Comcast just not support windows 8.1 yet since it's newer? 

New Visitor
gctree

I have the same problem.  I'm unable to install the norton security suite after the upgrade to windows 8.1.

Visitor
Mjhealy1978

I've about had it with Comcast... They say they updated Norton Security Suite on 10-16-13 but if they did, why does it not support the 8.1 OS that I upgraded to on 10-17??? I've contacted Comcast 4 times! The last time I was transfered to some tech-support guy who works for Comcast, supposedly, & he was supposedly going to troubleshoot the issue, which he didnt touch on once during the 29 minute call. What he did do was take control of my computer, download a program from 10bit, a utility app that cleans the registry, etc. & proceded to try & sell me a $199 support package!!!! Yah I almost shat myself! I honestly don't think Comcast gives a dam about us as costumers. I've had Comcast since Aug. of 12 & have had issues with my internet speeds, billing, etc. I pay at least $169 monthly, Im sure some pay a lot more, but thats a lot to me! They say they give us the Norton Security Suite with Constant Guard, which just slows down any PC, & they say its a $340 bonus or savings, whatever there sales pitch was. Whats the point of bragging about something that comes from one of the leading Companies in the world if Comcast isnt gonna update it, its just mind boggling. & they don't care either way. So Im at a loss I truly am! If Norton Has there 360 2014 Security package that works fine with 8.1 why can't Comcast update there pathetic example of a Security Suite so that the gazillions of us who updated there OS on Oct 17th. can still have something worth while protecting there PC's!!! I can't be the only consumer who's angry! & the saddest part, Comcast lies to us! 

New Visitor
TenchuHawke

The problem is with Norton.  Apparently Security Suite is not yet Windows 8.1 compatible.  The Customer Service Representative I spoke to said it would be available in the next week or so.  Here's hoping.

New Visitor
rlg1443

I don't think the problem is with Norton.  NSS is the Comcast version of Norton 360, which does load and work in Windows 8.1 (I'm running a trial version now, just to keep my system safe).

So apparently Comcast hasn't put the update in place for download yet.

Also, I've noticed that the version number on the download (as of today) is the same as it was last month, prior to the official 8.1 release.  So I'm pretty sure Comcast is just lagging behind in getting us the latest and greatest (as usual).

New Visitor
nsbell79

Comcast

Is there a date you expect to have Windows 8.1 supported by Comcast NSS?

I was using the Norton Beta/Trial but it has now expired.

Thanks

New Visitor
since2000

Anotherday, nothing from Comcast. I mean Windows 8.1 Preview has been around since july. and the RTM versionhas been here since Sept. Why is it taking so long to push out the latest security package? I have been a continuous customer of Comcast/(Time warner) since 2000! I am really hoping Google fiber makes it to Houston.

Visitor
Mjhealy1978

Well I've just about given up. I said my peace about my wondrous customer experience with Comcast & it SUX... If they were that dedicated to providing us with blah blah best this & fastest that & they get a quality name like Norton, why can't they keep it updated??? Its really sad when you narrow it down! Your better off going with what ya trust which isn't Comcast...
Norton Expert
CarlosL_Norton

We appologize for the timing on this issue and we understand the frustration. The latest version of Norton Security Suite 20.4.0.40 is already compatible with WIndows 8.1. Users must be on this version of NSS however before the update to Windows 8.1.

You may install a trial version of NIS in the meantime to be fully protected in WIndows 8.1. We are working on posting a fully supported version of Norton Security Suite for Windows 8.1 sometime next week, we will post and update once a set date is confirmed.

Thank you.

Contributor

I contacted Norton and we uninstalled the Comcast version of NNS and installed a trial 30 day to get my password vault up and working again. It is pretty silly that the version is not supported in a major OS release but I guess it can happen. We have a group called QA where I work and they try to verify this type of thing is avoided. Perhaps Comcast and Norton need to look at the ITIL business model.

New Visitor
Phyto

I just tried to install on a new computer and same problem.  I guess we wait a week

Contributor

I have the same problem.  Norton has loaded a trial version of the up to date N360, version 21... rather than version 20 which Comcast is supplying.

If this goes the way of Plaxo, I expect the Comcast upgrade in 2014!

New Visitor

Comcast. Is there any update on when the updated version of Norton will be released. I too have this issue now as I upgraded to Win 8.1 last night.

Visitor

comcast is expecting me to pay the bill on time, I don't think it would be to much to ask to to update or whatever they have to do, to get the Norton for Windows 8.1 up and running

sincerely ticked off!

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

Have you read this from above?

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Contributor

@USAF.  Yes I have read the above, and it is now a week since we were promised the update. (on 10/22).  The fact that many of us are having to use a trial NSS is ticking off quite a lot of people.  After all the Beta version of 8.1 has been out for a while, and probably a majority of Comcast customers use Windows, so to set up the upgrade that is already available on tie Norton site, does not seem unreasonable.

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

The Beta version of anything is just that - and not intended to be supported by Norton, nor is any version of windows supported by Norton until such time as the official release is made (Oct 17th I believe it was).  Then there are situations where last minute changes are made to the Windows release and thrid party programmers need to play catch up and in some cases it can not be done overnight.

In case you do not know it, NSS is a bit different than the retail versions in  regards to ID Safe Vaults, how the subsciptions/liceses are handled, differences in the backup (no online capability available) etc and that makes it different to the retail copies when upgraded. 

Norton provided a means for 8.1 users to use the trial version until such time as Comcast updates their version.

Also you should know by now,  never ever believe a date of "next week- we'll post when it is ready" does not mean it will occur within 7 days.

If you want it now, absolutely must have it now and the trial does not meet your needs, you can always purchase it and pay for a new license every year and get the updates quicker.  Oh BTW - the retail products still seem to be having problems with the NVP on IE 11.  I imagine the users who paid for the retail version are upset also. 

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

New Visitor

Way to talk down to people that just want an update . Nothing for nothing Mr. Air Force, but preview versions are released so the developers have a ready FINAL product for when the official release date of the new OS hits. Before you lecture anyone on developing for Norton and how they handle it, what are your credentials? USAF doesn't mean jack to me for creds especially if it was 20 years ago. I've got a Bs and Ms in IT with a concentration in Network Security and you don't see me with a pretensious tone like you. You owe everyone on these boards an apology. Go kick rocks jerk off.

New Visitor
tyd11

The download for Norton Security Suite 21.1 is now live.

https://idp.comcast.net/idp/startSSO.ping?PartnerSpId=www.symantec.com

Enjoy everyone!

Norton Expert
JonMcB_Norton

NSS 21.1 is now live!  The link provided above is part of the process, but is not the correct link to get started. you can access the NSS download through Constant Guard or xfinity.com/norton.

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

[ Edited ]

Hi suskash,

Thanks for your comments and I am sorry you see my post the way you do - it was meant to be informative for the average user.  Obviously you consider yourself above the average user and that may be why you think of it as you do.

I do have to wonder how badly I missed on the post as you are the only one that felt the way you do out of 227 views of the post (as of the time I am posting this).

Contributor
vanillamillz

This stuff still doesn't work!

Recognized Contributor
BrandonP

I have been running NSS with Windows 8.1 for a couple months now.

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

vanillamillz wrote:

This stuff still doesn't work!

Perhpas if you told us how "this stuff doesn't work", we'd be able to assist you.

Info such as how you are trying to install NSS, which AV you currently have, how you upgraded to 8.1?

As BrandonP stated - NSS does work on Win 8.1.

New Visitor
cbsg

I am not actually sure what being in the military is relevant to this conversation unless I missed someone saying that there is a different version for military as a discount or benefit for specific military service or highlight security that sends a message regarding military communication with someone in the service and their location being discovered for instance the family of a marine navy army and air force that communicates through Skype and without special Norton security someone may be able to stop someone from discovering the soldier location.

My oldest son lost his best friend serving in Afghanistan one day after he Skyped with my son.  So if that is what the military person was speaking about then I understand.

Suskash, you have a lot of education in IT and security software maybe you should call and speak with Norton help walk thru how you can help them.  The rude comments are not necessary, I have worked on an IT call line and I have managed both 100 people in a major retail store and I have been in charge of the ordering and troubleshooting over 500 branches for hardline telephones. I also have a BA in Communications which qualifies me to understand how to work with other people, customer service.  So I do not have your technical experience, but I can tell you, telling someone to go kick rocks is not helpful or appropriate this board is to try to see if someone has a fix or discuss that fact that we have all have issues with Norton and 8.1 compatibility. 

I am not trying yell or lecture you I am just asking that posting that you are military or being rude from anyone should not happen, if you need to be rude it should be when speaking with a technician when they are trying to fix the problem.  I personally spent of six hours on the phone with Norton.

Finally after midnight I asked to speak with a supervisor and she wanted to check to make sure the service was working and I noticed I had no Norton tool bar which is my understanding you need to use password saving or fill in features Can you believe six hours and no one installed a toolbar and they were remotely connected into my computer.  The supervisor then installed the toolbar but then wanted to uninstall and reinstall the program to make sure it was working, No way was I going to spend anymore time on the phone I said no.  4 hours later I went back into my computer room to see the message something is not functioning with Norton security if you restart your computer it may solve the problem. Within two weeks my computer was hacked and my Norton security did nothing to solve the virus installed and I had to purchase anther computer, I contacted Norton after having a computer company check to see if he could repair my computer not possible I was not even able to retrieve information from the hard drive. 

I called Norton and their comment was “Since I did not allow our supervisor to reinstall Norton it was not their issue”, then I became rude. I have not installed the Comcast Norton software on my new computer I have been using webroot, but my plan was to install Norton today but I am not sure at this point after reading your posts. Is there a fix yet.

New Visitor
lmr_spfld

I am having the same problem and do not have Norton on my PC. Just bought a new laptop post-XPocalypse with Windows 8.1. It will not recognize my Network Security Key. Cannot get online AT ALL! Very frustrating. 

Please help. I'm paying for Internet service so, I expect to get it! 

Contributor

The problem has nothing to do with comcast. The problem is with Norton. My sis ter installed Norton 360 from a disk she paid for. When we upgraded to windows 8.1 we had the same problem. Please refer to:

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-360/Norton-360-prevents-Windows-8-from-downloading-Windows-Upd...

New Visitor
Stockviper

You just want to install , and ignore the warning , then once installed , make sure you run the norton updater until it say's you are completly up to date.

Also I only install the norton , not the complete Comcast Suite .

The norton will work fine once updated. I would not use the Suite .

New Visitor
mrsoto57

Try Avast free Antivirus.

New Visitor
mrsoto57

IndyDale1 wrote:

Well, I upgraded from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1 on the 19th. Upon finishing I had an issue with Comcast NSS. I uninstalled and then tried to reinstall from the Comcast NSS download page. It downloads fine but when I run the install it says that I must not run in compatibility mode or it won't work with my current version of windows. Is there anything I can do to install it or when will Comcast have the proper version to run with Windows 8.1?

Thank you

Try Avast free Antivirus.