New Visitor
jlwright

ComcastAntiSpy.exe

Everytime I shut down I get the following error message:

Access violation at address 00000000 ( didn't put my numbers not knowing about security) in module 'ComcastAntiSpy.exe'.  Write of address 0000000D.

What does all this mean and how can I get rid of it?

Security Expert
LoPhatPhuud

Re: ComcastAntiSpy.exe

First, check Add/Remove Programs and uninstall  CA Real Time Protection, if present.

Then navigate to the folder:  C:\Program Files\comcasttb.  Run the uninstall program.  Reboot your system and double check the process is no longer running (task manager).  You'll need to manually remove the folder called "comcasttb".

Post back and let us know the results.

"Once I talked to the inmates of an insane asylum in Hartford. I have talked to idiots a thousand times, but only once to the insane..."
Mark Twain

Microsoft MVP, Consumer Security, 2005-2014
New Visitor
jlwright

Your instructions worked!  Thanks so much for your help.  Have a good day.

jlwright

Visitor
TrevDog2000

I have a Win7-64 system and found this little pest quickly by opening the Windows Task Manager (CTRL+Shift+ESC), clicking on the Processes tab, (sort by name) and then right-clicking on ComcastAntiSpy.exe *32 and choosing Open File Location.

It opened C:\Program Files (x86)\comcasttb\ComcastSpywareScan, and I could run Uninstall.exe.

New Visitor

Your technical phone operators should know about this solution. I called in and they were unable to help

me. I went on line to this site, followed the instructions solving the problem. Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

[ Edited ]

waltjones wrote:

Your technical phone operators should know about this solution. I called in and they were unable to help

me. I went on line to this site, followed the instructions solving the problem. Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!

I am sorry the tech phone operators could not help you.  You notice I said I was sorry, not surprised!

This forum regardles of appearance is basically a customer to customer forum - one that very few Comcast employees (those with RED USE NAMES) frequent on a regular basis (normallly unless called in by those dubbed "experts").  The people who answer the vast majority of the situations on these forums are customers who volunteer their time because they have "been there, done that".  In other words, we've already tried tech support, chat, etc and have not received answers.  Over the years we have learned the answers to most of the quesions presented here in security and although handicapped by not having access to all the info we need, we have done a better job of assisting other customers than the folks on the phone have done. 

So, we are glad you figured out your situation and that you now know where to come to seek assistance that will help solve you situation.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Visitor

Thank you so much for all of your collective helpAfter 2 'Live Chats" with Comcast with "help" and being so frustrated with no explanations or solutions and both times being hung up on, lolLuckily I just Googled and found you guysAgain thanks so much, I really appreciate your help!  

Recognized Contributor
AGhelp

[ Edited ]

After having trouble with comcast support and getting rid of the dns bot on my sons computer, we noticed the nortons was not running or opening. nortons helped us check the bot was successfully removed and reinstalled nortons. Much better service with them then I had with comcast. the forum has been the only place i found real answers. Although I think they were upset at my honesty about their help at comcast.

Anyway, after the reload, his computers been doing this proble. I will try the fix posted here and see if takes care of it. Thankyou to everyone who takes their time to help other costumers. I couldn't have gotten a straight answer anywhere else!

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

AGhelp wrote:

After having trouble with comcast support and getting rid of the dns bot on my sons computer, we noticed the nortons was not running or opening. nortons helped us check the bot was successfully removed and reinstalled nortons. Much better service with them then I had with comcast. the forum has been the only place i found real answers. Although I think they were upset at my honesty about their help at comcast.

Anyway, after the reload, his computers been doing this proble. I will try the fix posted here and see if takes care of it. Thankyou to everyone who takes their time to help other costumers. I couldn't have gotten a straight answer anywhere else!

AGhelp,

When you reinstalled Norton did you install Constant Guard Protection Suite also?  I ask as he Comcast(Xfinity Toolbar is part of that suite.  I suggest you totally remove the CGPS, to include Guard ID, ID Vault, CA Pest Patrol Rel Time, and Comcast Toolbar if any or all  exsist. Norton should remain in tact thru all fo these removals.  If a reinstall of Norton is needed in the future, please be sure to click on the Not Hanks on the CGPS popup when you go to download NSS. 

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Recognized Contributor
AGhelp

Honestly, I think it was installed before the reinstalation. I let nortons take care of the issue because they were willing to double check the bot infection was gone. I will check and report back. Unfortunately I've had to deal with this during a family emergency and need to break from working on the issue for a minute. I will try these solutions in a day or 2. I truly appreciate everyones help. I would have gone crazy by now

Recognized Contributor
AGhelp

Is the constany guard protection suite all one program I can find under add/remove or do I need go look for each seperate? It does appear to be on there, along with toolbars. Been trying to clean up computers from unecessary things and get everything running better.

Just want to double check I'm removing the right thing before I do it.

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

AGhelp wrote:

Is the constany guard protection suite all one program I can find under add/remove or do I need go look for each seperate? It does appear to be on there, along with toolbars. Been trying to clean up computers from unecessary things and get everything running better.

Just want to double check I'm removing the right thing before I do it.

I listed the components of CGPS in my last post, you need to remove each to ensure all of the suite is removed.  BTW - none of them will remove Norton and the NSS should remain in tact.  If you run into any problems, let us know.

Recognized Contributor
AGhelp

Thankyou for letting me know it's each one seperately. I've an issue with another computer every since constant guard was put on and it freezes. I'm thinking the same things are causing both issues. I will remove them individually but I was curious, will this lower protection against bots, if there is really any? I really don't want to go through that again.

Not our main computer thankfully, which don't have constant guard. That's why I'm wondering if I should just remove it on both and see if it helps fix everything.

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

AGhelp wrote:

Thankyou for letting me know it's each one seperately. I've an issue with another computer every since constant guard was put on and it freezes. I'm thinking the same things are causing both issues. I will remove them individually but I was curious, will this lower protection against bots, if there is really any? I really don't want to go through that again.

Not our main computer thankfully, which don't have constant guard. That's why I'm wondering if I should just remove it on both and see if it helps fix everything.

As I have said many times before, Constant Guard has turned into a branding nightmare for users.  The original Constant Guard (and IMHO the only one worth a hoot) is the program administered by the Security Assurance team of which many customers have been in contact with and have recieved great assistance with the identiifcation of and removal assistance for BOTS.  That portion of the program is controlled by Comcast and no one has an option to not participate in that program.  When you have a sopare hour, you may wan to read tru this thread for some history on the originial Constant Guard. 

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Security-and-Anti-Virus/Comcast-Announces-Constant-Guard-security-progr...

That said, the next thing they branded Constant Guard was Constant Guard Protection Suite, which (if you take away the stand alone Norton Security Suite program) you will find does in fact not do anything as far as BOTS or anti-virus is concerned

Constant Guard™ Protection Suite is your total security solution.

Not only does Constant Guard™ help protect your personal information, it also includes top-rated Norton™ Security Suite to help defend your computer against viruses. Plus, Constant Guard™ includes other services like Secure Backup & Share to help protect valuable files like photos and now, IDENTITY GUARD® to help protect your identity

Then they also branded Norton Security Suite as "Constant Guard from XFINITY" right on the main page of the UI.

The point I am trying to make is it gets confusing for the average user and also gets confusing for those of us who try to help others.  For example, you stated, " I've an issue with another computer every since constant guard was put on and it freezes. I'm thinking the same things are causing both issues."  In this case I have a pretty good idea you are talking about CGPS - since e have been in conversation over the last few days - but if someone brand new comes in and asks that same question, I have to question if they are talking about CGPS or in fact NSS (since it is label CG).

OK, that's my CG rant for the day, sorry for interupting your thread.

If it were me, I'd remove all CGPS and components (except NSS) on all of my systems.

Recognized Contributor
AGhelp

[ Edited ]

Thanks again. The one installed thats freezing was put on some time last year and had issues every since. It was when we first got the computer. We went to get nortons, and it was labeled as constant guard. I thought we were putting on Nortons security suite and it asked for all these security key pins to access and store passwords through constant guard. Never used ithese features but had trouble with nortons working properly on that computer. Full system scans and the idle scans always freezes the computer. Something I should have already taken care of it's just been difficult to take time out for it.

You're right about it being confusing and was definetly glad I didn't put it on mine. I'm the only one who knows anything about computers here and I may be forced to leave at anytime. Trying to fix what I can in a limited amount of time.

Recognized Contributor
AGhelp

On the computer recieving this particular error message, uninstalling the antispyware from the comcasttb folder fixed the issue when I rebooted.

On another note: I will be taken off the other components as well, nothing but problems and you are completely right about being nothing but trouble.

I ONLY want Norton's, the rest is just added (can't say the word) that I don't need and severly slows down the computer. Especially on one with hardly anything on it!

Thanks for the help, now to see if I can freezing problem....

Question of the Day : Do we run on technology or is technology running us? :smileyhappy:

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

@ AGhelp,

So we are down to only the freezing problem now?  As I understand it, the system freezes when it is doing a full system scan?  If so, you can try this:  Settings > Antivirus >Scans & Risks Tab > Compressed File Scan - set to OFF.  Now run a scan and see if it freezes.  Sometimes NSS stumbles on a compressed file and depending on the size of it - it may sit on the file for a very long time - giving the impression of the system freezing.

Recognized Contributor
AGhelp

Yep, just finished extra components of constant guard on the other computer. When norton's helped with that computer, they had already took some off (Like pest patrol). As soon as it turns back on, going to double check functioning properly and move onto the computer that's freezing.

I will try what you said in the post and see if I can get around it. It seems to occur during idle scan, full system scans, and when I try to optimize through nortons. All constant guard off but was still doing it.

Would like to determine if it's this or internal problem.

Will report back.

New Visitor
CBDVM

Re: ComcastAntiSpy.exe - uninstall

comcast anti spy.exe was slowing computer, sending error messages at shut down, and would not not uninstall with uninstall of toolbar or other comcast software

Was primary reason I wanted Comcast Xfinity garbage OFF my computer

Comcast and Xfinity gave me the runaround at 5 phone numbers and had me on hold over several hours about this and could not would not help -  Xfinity wanted me to pay them to fix it

THIS seems to have worked:
from http://www.file.net/process/comcastantispy.exe.html :
This program is installed by COMCAST techs when they install Internet service at your home. Apparently they don't ask you if you want it and it may conflict with any other secuirty systems you have. This COMCASTAntiSpy exist in a folder that is installed in your Program Files . I believe it is comcastb or something like that. I did a search of my "Files and Folders" for COMCASTAntiSpy and found the folder that way. Inside the folder there is a uninstall program. This seems to be the only way to uninstall it, as it doesn't show in the Add/Remove Programs under Control

Recognized Contributor
AGhelp

Re: ComcastAntiSpy.exe - uninstall

Yes that's correct, I only found it in the comcasttb folder itself. One point, some will have it in programs and some will have it in programs x86.

Think it depends on system using. If you want to remove rest of comcast software, I would also suggest:

in add/remove

CP pest realtime (something like that)

Guard or Guarded ID

xfinity toolbar

constant guard suite

ID vualt (although some have said had trouble removing this)

Reboot after each you remove and your computer will just run Nortons or the software you choose.

Really helped speed and errors were all gone. I was suprised they actually called to tell me to remove it (I already had).

It was actually the securit and fraud dept. and Not assurance that called, I never want to speak to them again and made that very clear when they lied about my options for removing the dns changer bot.

You don't have to remove these components but really will make computer run better!

New Visitor
jackfromfortc

This Comcastantispy.exe thing really slowed down my computer and finally interferred with Trend Micro.

I removed it by using the unistall app the folder but I wonder if this program came from Comcast or it spyware with the comcast name?

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

jackfromfortc wrote:

This Comcastantispy.exe thing really slowed down my computer and finally interferred with Trend Micro.

I removed it by using the unistall app the folder but I wonder if this program came from Comcast or it spyware with the comcast name?

The Comcastantispy.exe is part of the Comcast/Xfinity Toolbar program which comes from Comcast as part of the Constant Guard Protection Suite.

Visitor
sherrY46

Every time I log out, I receive screen message ComcastAntiSpyexe.00423B70 and am told to hit cancel in order to close window.  How do I delete this step?

Security Expert
LoPhatPhuud

Remove Comcast AntiSpy using Add/Remove Programs. See my post (#2) above.

Comcast AntiSpy is redundant and unnecessary if you have Comcast/Norton Security Suite installed.

"Once I talked to the inmates of an insane asylum in Hartford. I have talked to idiots a thousand times, but only once to the insane..."
Mark Twain

Contributor

Hello again.  I just found this solution, and am giving it a try.

Contributor

Your solution of 1/17/12 worked for me.  Thank you very much.

New Visitor

would like to remove xfinity antispy.exe

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

See LoPhatPhuud's post above.

New Visitor
balbabu

I get the error on shut down

Bronze Problem Solver
DoubleG

See LoPhatPhuud's post above.

New Visitor
jazprop

I have the same message and since it started I can't connect to the internet.  Comcast and everything on my computer says I am connected, but the little circle just spins and spins when I open IE and nothing ever comes up. 

I followed most of the instructions listed here, but it didn't seem to work.  First off, I have Vista and I couldn't find where to add/remove programs so I couldn't check to see if I had CA Real Time Protection and uninstall it.  Does anyone know where I can find it?  I did go into programs and uninstall comcast item noted, but after I rebooted I still couldn't get IE to work.  Any help would be appreciated as I am dead in the water without internet access.  Thanks everyone.

Regular Problem Solver
BlueJay

Hi jazprop,

In the lower left corner of your screen, click on the round windows icon, that will open  a split listing,

on the right side is a list of choices,  USER, DOCUMENTS, PICTURES, GAMES,  etc.  further down is one

called CONTROL PANEL, click on that..

The add/remove programs is called PROGRAMS and FEATURES, click on that to get the programs installed.

Hope this helps ,

ciao, bj

New Visitor
dacwilt142

I also get this message when trying to shut down. Access violation at address (?) in module comcastantispy.exe  Have tried previous uninstall suggestions with no success. I have a HP with Windows 7 is there any other help to get rid of this problem?

Official Employee
CGPS-Support

Per Lo Phat's directions, above in this lengthy post - you need to go to the comcast folder in the Program Files folder. The uninstaller exists in that folder:

First, check Add/Remove Programs and uninstall  CA Real Time Protection, if present.

Then navigate to the folder:  C:\Program Files\comcasttb.  Run the uninstall program.  Reboot your system and double check the process is no longer running (task manager).  You'll need to manually remove the folder called "comcasttb".

Post back and let us know the results.

From CG Support - in each cast I've seen, this has resolved the issue, and removed the anti-spyware. Also, per Lo Phat's suggestion, you can also go the extra step, and remove that entire folder.

New Visitor
leonidaprosperi

Everytime I shut down I get the following error message:

Access violation at address 00000000 ( didn't put my numbers not knowing about security) in module 'ComcastAntiSpy.exe'.  Write of address 0000000D.

What does all this mean and how can I get rid of it?

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

See message number 2 in this thread.

New Visitor
usarmyfay

I made a thumb drive virus, booted up ran scans forever, rebooted still getting FBI, Green Dot message, any help would be great.

New Visitor
wcmet

First, check Add/Remove Programs and uninstall  CA Real Time Protection, if present.

I did the above actions as suggested, it at least got me back online.  However, it won't let me delete the comcasttb folder as a file remains that can't be deleted:  comcasttb.dll

Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance for your kind consideration :smileyhappy:

Visitor

how do i get red of the comcastantispyexe error?

Security Expert
LoPhatPhuud

reyn wrote:

how do i get red of the comcastantispyexe error?

See post #2 in this thread.

Mark Twain

Visitor

THANK YOU!  This solved my problem.  And I think is going to speed up my computer in general and keep it from running hot all the time.  And I think this program may be what almost crashed my laptop last week.

This program was NOT in my list of programs to uninstall.  I could NOT find it by searching for it as described above.  But your hint helped me find and destroy it.  I uninstalled Comcast's Constant Guard because it was a PITA.  And then this thing was still showing up.  Now, hopefully, I have this horrible thing, which I, quite frankly consider worse than a virus, gone.

Visitor

How do i get my key # for Norton from Comcast

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

afaria wrote:

How do i get my key # for Norton from Comcast

If you are talking about a PIN number see the followiong.

Your PIN number is stored in Norton Security_PIN.txt in the following location:

In Windows 7 or Windows Vista: C:\Users\\Documents\Symantec\Norton Security_PIN.txt

In Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\\My Documents\Symantec\Norton Security_PIN.txt

New Visitor

Add/Remove Programs did not have CA Real Time Protection and the folder comcasttb is empty.  Now what?

New Visitor
tuffys

i have never been able to get past CG without loading it.  can you tell me how to get just Norton?

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

Hi pjhs,

See this post.  Have you rebooted?

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

Hi tuffys

Here are instructions for different scenarios in regards to Norton Security Suite - all list the link for just the Norton download by itself.