09-06-2013 08:49 AM
I have been using Constant Guard, Norton, and Chrome for 2 years now with no problems and last night I started getting a message from Norton saying that it was blocking and denying access for the following files/downloadafter "analyzing":
Threat name: WS.Reputation.1
Full Path: c:\users\shadowboxer\appdata\local\google\chrome\u
Few Users, Very New, Risk Medium
Downloaded from Unknown
Actions performed: Actions performed: 1
Hundreds of users in the Norton Community have used this file.
This file was released less than 1 week ago.
This file risk is medium.
Threat type: Insight Network Threat. There are many indications that this file is untrustworthy and therefore not safe
Source: External Media
The first time I did nothing and allowed the software to quarantine and remove the file. Then I started getting messages from Chrome that the Cosntant Guard extension could not load. Chrome is my default browser and it would not open any of the websites I had saved in my Constant Guard account, so I ended up having to unblock and restore the files in order to have my Constant Guard work.
Is this a known issue and will unblocking, ignoring the "intrusion" and restoring the file harm my computer?
Solved! Go to Solution.
09-06-2013 09:55 AM - edited 09-06-2013 10:00 AM
Would you believe Normal operation as far as the detection goes?
Although an older article - it is still the best I have seen it explained.
Please bear in mind it is a different version of Norton than what you are using - but the basics still apply.
<edit> CGPS-Support may be ableto add more info in regards to the actual function of idvault.extension.chrome.dll.
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'
09-06-2013 02:13 PM
Thanks, USAF - the .dll is the BHO browser extension update for the latest release of the Chrome browser. We used to release complete client builds whenever Google or Mozilla released new browser versions. However, due to the frequency of the updates, we began releasing the Firefox plug-in/add-on and the Chrome extension separately. If the customer has a new Anti-virus or firewall update, then the warning makes sense. However, we are partnered with Norton, and are whitelisted with them. If the customer has changed their Norton preferences, or if an update has occurred which has cleared the firewall preferences, then that would explain it.
09-14-2013 09:15 AM - edited 09-14-2013 09:17 AM
No settings had been changed in the Firewall and other than the "Live Updates" that Norton runs to update definitions, there were no updates to the software. The issue happened several times over a period of 2 days and I had to restore the files numerous times. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the Constant Guard/Norton Software and it worked for about a day and then the issue started again. I restored the effected files and told Norton's File Insight to ignore them during future searches. Then I cleared the history and cache on Google Chrome and restarted the computer. The issue has not reoccurred yet. Incidentally, when I did research on-line about this specific problem I found other Chrome users posting in the Google forums about having the exact same problem that just started mysteriously which leads me to believe it was problem with Constant Guard and Norton interacting with google Chrome's newer release. Also, Norton released a "Hot Fix" a few days after that as well. I am not sure if it was my troubleshooting meausures or the "Hot Fix" that fixed the issue, but nevertheless I am not experiencing it anymore.
09-16-2013 11:47 AM
Hi ShadowBoxer - a number of things occurred which may have resolved the issue, or caused it, and it's likely that, at some point one of your actions may have cleared your temporary cache or internet files, allowing the correct extension to load. We (Constant Guard Protection Sutie) DID release a new browser update for Chrome compatibility, but Google also released an update to the browser, and Norton did begin flagging an associated download link. Regardless, the solution was clearing the cache to allow the new extensions to load.
©2011 Comcast | Investor Relations | Press Room | Corporate Blog | Privacy Statement | Visitor Agreement | Comcast.com Feedback | Site Map