New Visitor
jpaulregan

Constant Guard PIN Setup Failure

[ Edited ]

Hello,

Attempting to install Constant Guard, and I cannot get past the PIN setup. After entering my PIN twice it immediately brings up a pop-up window reading : General error occured while activating your Constant Guard Protection Suite.

Can someone please help me?

Official Employee
CGPS-Support

Re: Constant Guard PIN Setup Failure

Hi jpaulregan -

We usually don't see this as a General error, but as a Communications error. It means that you can connect to the internet, but WE cannot contact you in order to validate your Master PIN. It means that our PIN validation service is being blocked by your computer. It could also mean that the Microsoft Security Certificate which we use to house your encrypted PIN and account credentials cannot be created on your computer. One or both of two things are going on - a piece of security software is blocking the activation service OR your system clock is wrong and as such the certificate can't be created or opened because your computer needs to be in synchronization with the correct time for your location.

1. Remove the Constant Guard Protection Suite (CGPS) software. At the bottom of this post I am putting a link to a "cleaner," which will remove the CGPS completely from your computer, including any partial installs of a security certificate. The cleaner will ONLY remove software associated with CGPS - nothing else will be touched. After running the cleaner, restart your computer.

2. Make sure your computer day, date, time, and time zone are correct. Right click on the system clock at the bottom of your computer screen, and even if the time looks correct, re-set it anyway, and make sure the day, date and time zone are correct. Then, click on "Internet Time," and choose to synchronize your clock with one of the listed time sources - such as a .gov site.

3. Go to www.comcast.net/security and click to download/install the Constant Guard Protection Suite.  When prompted to Run or Save, choose to SAVE the software, and then let the software download. While this is taking place, watch for any prompts from your security software, and if you see any make sure to "okay," or "allow" the download.

After the download is complete, click to "Run" the installer, and again, watch for any prompts and allow the installation.

You should be prompted to create your Master PIN. When you type the PIN number the second time, the call is make to our servers to validate, and that is when we need to be able to contact your computer. If we are stopped, again, at that point, the only thing you can do is to disable your security software during the installation. After the installation you can activate Norton Security Suite from the Constant Guard Protection Suite main page.

CGPS Cleaner:

http://downloads.idvault.com/comcast/cleaner/constantguardcleaninstall.exe

Click to "Run" the   cleaner. It will note "completed" when it has removed the CGPS   software. Restart after running the cleaner.

Official Employee
CGPS-Support

Hi jpaulregan - a question for you. Are you, by any chance on a new computer - or have you recently gone somewhere which necessitated changing your system clock? Regardless, the instructions I sent should resolve the issue, but there are a very few things which can cause the issue, and I'm just wondering if you, by any chance, are using a new computer, or if we can tie the firewall or clock issue to something in particular. Thank you.

New Visitor
tsgurl

Is this the same error as

"Your Constatnt Guard cannot connect to the internet. You Must have an active internet connection to use Constant Guard Protection Suite."

That is the error message I keep getting yet I am connected to the internet with no issues. I can not get past the key pad either.

Official Employee
CGPS-Support

Hello tsgurl - yes. We see it (usually) as a Constant Guard Protection Suite Error - and then the message you are reporting, but also as a "Communications Error," during the activation of the software, and that is when the customer enters the Master PIN for the 2nd time. At that point we validate the PIN and the CGPS software should open on the computer. If our servers can't communicate with you (or rather, your computer), you'll see this message. You can talk to us - we but we can't talk to you. It is usually the system clock on the computer. If the clock isn't set correctly and is not in synchronization with the internet time for the locationof the computer, the Microsoft Security Certificate can't be created, and causes the issue.

Please follow the instructions which I sent, and are posted in this same string, and that should resolve the issue. Please let me know, via this forum, if this doesn't (or does) work for you.

New Visitor
tsgurl

No, resetting the clock did not work nor did the suggestion about the security.

Official Employee
CGPS-Support

Hi tsgurl - did you then use the cleaner and reinstall, per the instructions? -

1. Remove the Constant Guard Protection Suite (CGPS) software. At the bottom of this post I am putting a link to a "cleaner," which will remove the CGPS completely from your computer, including any partial installs of a security certificate. The cleaner will ONLY remove software associated with CGPS - nothing else will be touched. After running the cleaner, restart your computer.

2. Make sure your computer day, date, time, and time zone are correct. Right click on the system clock at the bottom of your computer screen, and even if the time looks correct, re-set it anyway, and make sure the day, date and time zone are correct. Then, click on "Internet Time," and choose to synchronize your clock with one of the listed time sources - such as a .gov site.

3. Go to www.comcast.net/security and click to download/install the Constant Guard Protection Suite.  When prompted to Run or Save, choose to SAVE the software, and then let the software download. While this is taking place, watch for any prompts from your security software, and if you see any make sure to "okay," or "allow" the download.

After the download is complete, click to "Run" the installer, and again, watch for any prompts and allow the installation.

You should be prompted to create your Master PIN. When you type the PIN number the second time, the call is make to our servers to validate, and that is when we need to be able to contact your computer. If we are stopped, again, at that point, the only thing you can do is to disable your security software during the installation. After the installation you can activate Norton Security Suite from the Constant Guard Protection Suite main page.

CGPS Cleaner:

http://downloads.idvault.com/comcast/cleaner/constantguardcleaninstall.exe

Click to "Run" the   cleaner. It will note "completed" when it has removed the CGPS   software. Restart after running the cleaner.

New Visitor
tsgurl

Yes, I have done EVERYTHING you have suggested and am still getting the error message. I reset my clock, did the internet sync, disabled my security, used the link for the cleaner and am still getting the error message.

Official Employee
CGPS-Support

Hello tsgurl - Either you really do have a bad internet connection of something is blocking our service from contacting your computer. Below is a link to run a diagnostic tool which will run a few simple connection tests between your computer and our services. If any of the bars is returned red, then there is a connection error which you would need to rectify in order to download/install the software. The tool will also report on any anti-virus/firewall software, and .net versions. If the link is not live from the forum, just copy it and paste it into the address field of your browser. From the opening page, click to download the tool and then just click to Run, and let us know the results.

http://cgps.idvault.com/support/diagnostictool.html

New Visitor
tsgurl

2 were red Authentication & Security Service came back red. Everything else was green.

Official Employee
CGPS-Support

[ Edited ]

Hello tsgurl - the red bars mean that something on your computer is blocking two ouf our services - the Authentication service means that we cannot validate your PIN, and if that is the case, then either the system clock is incorrect or not in synchronization, and the Microsoft Security Certificate cannot be opened; or a firewall is blocking the service. The Security Service is the CGPS service itself - very likely another security application is blocking the service. All I can suggest is that you try, again, the steps I have set out for you, and make sure you restart your computer after removing the CGPS software. The issue is going to be either your system clock not set correctly for the day, time, date AND timezone, or your anti-virus/firewall is blocking the installation and setup.

You need to:

1. use the cleaner utility in the prior posts to remove the CGPS software and restart the computer;

2. right-click the system clock and ensure that the date/time/are correct For Your Location - which means the time zone is correct for the location of the clock, as well as the DST setting;

3. synchronize the clock to an internet time source;

4. disable/remove any anti-virus/firwall software, including Norton;

5. install CGPS from www.comcast.net/security, and when prompted, do not RUN - instead, SAVE the software to your desktop, and once downloaded, then RUN the installer - watch for any prompts to allow the software installation and make sure that you okay, or allow the install.

Finally - IF this works, and you are able to install and activate, activate Norton immediately so you have AV/Firewall protection, and if thie Doesn't work - again, install and activate Norton immediately, so you have some protection. You do not need to install CGPS to install and activate Norton.

If you go to the CGPS support page, and click on the Norton link at that location, you can install the free Norton Security Suite from there. that location is:

http://cgps.idvault.com/support - just click on the Norton link on the right side.