Contributor

Constant Guard Problems

Ladies and gentlemen,

I have a computer with Windows 7 OS. I installed the Constant Guard about 3 months ago, and every time I sign on there is an errormessage "Failed to Create Security Certificate"; when I continue trying to establish a Master Pin, another error message appears: "General Error occurred while activating your Constant Guard Protection Suite". I had several e-mails and conversations with CG'stechnical support, installed and un-install the program at least 4 times, followed their instructions to the letter, including contact withMicrosoft who referred me to the computer manufacturer, I spent $179 in a remote service call plus 4 hours of my time, and they could notfix it either. The technician researched Constant Guard, and according to him there are a lot of bugs still in the program. I have un=installedfor good the program, it is only a source of headaches, as far as I am concerned.

Regular Contributor
Forums1

Re: Constant Guard Problems

I don't blame you for removing the constant guard . I did the same thing a couple of months ago and do not miss it at all .

Contributor
LinuxMint

Honestly, I do not understand the point in installing the 'Constant Guard' software product if all it does cause problems.

I installed it myself in a virtual machine the other night and while it has not acted up yet. I watched it install 'something' for like 5+ minutes.

I am VERY curious as to what changes takes place before you install and after you install it. 

Here are some blog enties regarding: 

http://digital-qa.blogspot.com/2011/06/i-advise-against-installing-comcasts.html

http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2012/05/24/comcast-users-phished-by-constant-guard-spam-lure/

Official Employee
CGPS-Support

What Constant Guard Protection Suite IS is an installer for the xfinity security partners, such as Norton, so there is a single point - a dashboard to enable/or disable the services the customer wishes to use. When the software is installed, it also installs an Online Account Protection module and an anti-key logging component, which can be disabled or removed without affecting the other aspects of the program. The software is a fulltime web application, and so persons with older/slower computers - or with harddrives with lots of errors, or which are fairly full OR customers using XP which may or may not have Microsoft .net 3.0 installed - are going to have issues associated with their base computers or operating systems IF that OS is not up-to-date (specifically with .net 3.0). The dashboard is also the functional point, going forward for enabling additional features which will only be offered through the Constant Guard Protection Suite.

We aren't installing *anything* for 5 mintues. If there is an "initialization" window for more than 60 seconds, you have a very slow connection, another web app is slowing or scanning the installation, or we are being blocked. Most issues associated with the installation have to do with either firewalls, a corrupt/old operating system, drive issues - or as mentioned here - a Microsoft Security Certificate failure to create. The Microsoft security certificate is absolutely reliant on the computer's ability to connect WELL with the Microsoft servers and is reliant on the computer having correct clock time, day/date, and being in synch with the MS servers via internet time. If the computer is not in synch with internet time, or has the incorrect time or date and time zone for its location, the security certificate will not/cannot be created, and an MS error will occur - such as this one. There could also be a cookies or clock error.

What happens at installation? We check:

1. To ensure you have a compatible OS;

2. If you have a compatible version of Microsoft .net as we are a .net application - and if you're using XP, MS .net is separate to the OS itself;

3. We check to ensure the minimum physical RAM requirements of 512 meg;

4. We check for browser compatibility;

At that point the software installs - if the installation fails, most likely the clock is not set correctly, or a firewall/AV application is blocking the install. If a long error code appears, chances are there is another security application seizing the IP channel, a firewall block; or there is a .net issue.

Contributor

Thank you for your explanation. I have the computer checked by the manufacturer, and they could not obtain the security certificate. I have Windows 7 Operating System, all Microsoft updates have been installed. The best thin I have done is to un-install the CG,

Official Employee
CGPS-Support

Hi Cubano -

I'm afraid that you're going to see the issue again with ANY application which relies on a Microsoft Security Certificate. The error is actually generated by Microsoft and occurs (usually) if the MSC (Microsoft Security Certificate) can't be created - and there is a time-out in trying to create it. This can also be disguised as a .dll error (download link). In most cases - it isn't a slow connection issue at all - it is the time it takes for the MS server or validation or authentication service to wait for your computer to say, in essence, "You're okay - come on in." If that "welcome" takes too long, the request times out, and you get that error. More times than not - it is an issue with the system clock on the computer. We see it a lot with new computers, which are still using the default time which was on the clock when it was originally set - usually USA, Pacific time. But, daylight savins time, or lack thereof, wrong timezone, a computer set for one time zone and being used in another, etc. will cause the same issue. You really should check the date, time, time zone of your computer to ensure they are correct for your current location. THEN, you need to synch your computer clock to internet time using a standard clock source.

Go to this MS location first and run their simple "Fix It" utility for common desktop maintenance issues:

http://support.microsoft.com/mats/system_maintenance_for_windows/en-us

Then, depending on which OS you are using, right click on the system clock in the right-hand corner of your computer display, and click there to check your system clock time and ensure that it is correct.

After you have done this - if you have already removed the CGPS software, you can reinstall. If you have not removed the CGPS software, do so by using your Programs/Features control panel - to Programs, and Uninstall the Constant Guard software. After removing and completing the uninstall survey, restart. Then, go to www.comcast.net/security and install the Constant Guard again. Hopefully, any issues regarding the Certificate/Validation/Authentication have been resolved.

Contributor

Thank you for the information, but as I mentioned before I am perfectly happy by not having the Constant Guard in my computer.

Contributor
LinuxMint

Re: Microsoft Security Certificates ARE problematic, especially if malware can fake Microsoft Security Certificates these days.

Constant Guard is being pushed by the ISP like drugs, eh? 

New Visitor

I installed CG.  Then uninstalled it, as it screwed up way too much on my system.  Now, I still have it (?!?!), and it keeps giving me error messages, AND it will not let me enter a PIN or set up a new one.  Great program.

Contributor
BeZurcher

You should ask if comcast came out with a removal tool for CG. I don't think CG should be continued as it has not been appreciated by many users. NSS itself provides ample protection for you CPU.

Official Employee
CGPS-Support

Hi shannon26041,

Sounds like you have a corrupt installation.  Use the Cleaner Tool in order to remove the software.  To completely remove all traces of the Constant Guard software from the computer, download and run the Constant Guard cleaner tool. Click here to download the tool, run the program, and follow the simple prompts to remove the software. You will have to reboot your computer after running the cleaner.

If you plan on reinstalling Constant Guard after removal, then you can download the software by clicking here.