New Visitor

Constant Guard and Norton Security Suite. what are the differences?

Constant Guard and Norton Security Suite. what are the differences?

Security Expert
LoPhatPhuud

Re: Constant Guard and Norton Security Suite. what are the differences?

Norton Security Suite is the main component of the Constant Guard Security Suite.

This link should answer your questions:

http://xfinity.comcast.net/constantguard/Products/CGPS/?cid=NET_33_616

Note: Due to issues the the Guarded ID module, at this time I am advising against installing the entire Constant Guard Proteciton Suite. You can download and install the Comcast/Norton Security Suite from this link: http://xfinity.comcast.net/constantguard/Products/CGPS/norton/

"Once I talked to the inmates of an insane asylum in Hartford. I have talked to idiots a thousand times, but only once to the insane..."
Mark Twain

Microsoft MVP, Consumer Security, 2005-2013
Official Employee

The Constant Guard Protection Suite offers functionality you cannot get in Norton Security Suite, or most other Anti Viruses.  examples include:

1) keyboard encryption : bots are increasingly looking to steal what you type online.  CGPS encrypts what you enter on your keyboard so that if you do have malware that is looking for things like your credit card number, bank account number, email address / password - you can help protect your information.  I acknowledge that there are some who are reporting compatability issues with the keyboard, which as i posted earlier we are investigating - but the vast majority of our customers do not report this issue and are actively using CGPS.

2) Secure Browser : CGPS maintains a database of tens of thousands of financial institutions.   When you use secure viewer to access your website - you are logged directly into the IP of the banking information - this help mitigate against man in the middle attacks.

For this reason, we do not recommend installing just Norton (or any other component of constant guard - sbs, identity guard, etc). 

Security Expert
LoPhatPhuud

Respectfully Jim, GuardedID is not quite ready for prime time and I intend to continue to recommend avoiding it. Information on tests I have been able to obtain indicate that Norton, McAfee, etc. are as effective at detecting and removing rootkit style keyloggers as GuardedID is. For kernel mode keyloggers, those correctly written can bypass GuardedID with no difficulty.

There are other valuable modules to CGPS that should be installed, but until the GI issue is resolved, we are left with an all or nothing choice. Sadly, since the problems are more pervasive than just 'gaming' computers, the choice is to avoid CGPS.

If would really be nice if there was an option to not install portions of GCPS. Of course, the Comcast/Norton Security Suite would be mandatory since it is the main program.

"Once I talked to the inmates of an insane asylum in Hartford. I have talked to idiots a thousand times, but only once to the insane..."
Mark Twain

Microsoft MVP, Consumer Security, 2005-2013
New Visitor

thanks for the link to norton that constant guard did a number on my comp I had to do a system recovery