Visitor

Constant Guard fails on starting. Error code: b01a84b7-1753-4b28-848c-ce50672268d6

You folks know the message.

Consant Guard Protection Suite Error.

An unexpected error occurred.  Constant Guard Protection Suite will restart automatically.

If the problem persists, click on your CGPS icon <etc.>

Of course, since CG is not starting up, I can't click on the icon for the support options...

The error code is: b01a84b7-1753-4b28-848c-ce50672268d6

Is there an error code decoding key somewhere?

This is a computer that I purchased yesterday.  Windows 7.  I have used the Easy Transfer Wizard to transfer files/settings from another Windows 7 computer (over my Homegroup network).  Windows has also downloaded/installed a bucketload of "updates" since I first turned the computer on.

Norton is working fine.  It's just CGPS that's having trouble.

Thanks!!!

Visitor

Re: Constant Guard fails on starting. Error code: b01a84b7-1753-4b28-848c-ce50672268

Update: The error code changes every time it restarts.  So it's probably completely meaningless.

Here are some that I've gotten:

6c3226c2-4d67-4262-bcde-54796cc8e1be
667cb14d-5218-423a-b12b-bca18006f5c3
99e80fb1-5f95-4c41-86dd-d272ae5c0363
b9ed3e0f-da61-4d72-8fca-699fa97fee88

Official Employee
CGPS-Support

Re: Constant Guard fails on starting. Error code: b01a84b7-1753-4b28-848c-ce50672268

MrGrieves - CGPS uses a Microsoft Security Certificate which identifies the computer it was installed on. The software is not going to transfer from computer to computer. It needs to be reinstalled.

The "Unexpected Error," could mean just about anything, but "when" you see it does mean something. If it's at start/launch - the application can't even launch - so it could me memory/storage location, or the fact that the application can't connect to our servers - and it is a fulltime web application. If you're getting these errors, when you are starting the computer, and the CGPS is trying to launch, the issue is very likely with the installation. Remove the software, make sure your default browser is working correctly, and then reinstall. Since there is a transfer involved here, you'll want to make sure the MS Security Certificate is gone, so it can be recreated correctly, i.e. a clean copy is installed. You'll want to run our "cleaner" to ensure this is done. However, if you run the cleaner it will remove the old certificate completely, and you would need to recreate any stored accounts and your PIN - UNLESS you used our Backup feature to create a backup of the stored accounts. If you didn't, you'll need to recreate.

1. Click this link to run the CGPS cleaner:

http://downloads.idvault.com/comcast/cleaner/constantguardcleaninstall.exe

2. When prompted, click to RUN. When the cleaning has completed, a "completed," dialogue box will appear.

3. RESTART just to make sure that the removal is complete.

4. Go to www.comcast.net/security and reinstall.

During the reinstall watch for any prompts from firewall or anti-virus software to allow the installtion, and APPROVE any prompts.

Please be aware that the very nature of our software is to keep someone from hacking your identity. The certificate will automatically be broken if you, or anyone else, tries to mirror your drive, create a backup of the drive, or if a network password is deleted. It is for this reason, that we created the "Backup" and "Restore" options of the "Options" tab. You can create a secure, encrypted file of the stored accounts through the Backup option, and save that file anywhere you could store a Windows file. It can even be attached to an e-mail and mailed for safe keeping. If can ONLY be imported into CGPS. It cannot be opened, and can only be imported using the PIN in use when it was created.

Visitor

Thank you.  Actually, I had resolved the issue.  When I uninstalled it and re-installed it, I had chosen to "save" the data on the uninstall.  I tried uninstalling again without "saving" the data, then re-installed, and it worked.  Which is consistent with your comments.

I haven't been making much (really, any) use of the password save feature, so I didn't actually lose anything in the process.

Thanks!

(PS.: "Mr. Grieves" is a random username that was assigned to me by this forum system.  I couldn't figure out how to change it - how do you change it?) (Although "Mr. Grieves" was a great song by the Pixies...)

Official Employee
CGPS-Support

I'm unsure on changing the name. I do love the PIxies, though - Glad that the issue is resolved. I'll see if I can find out regarding changing the "handle."