Visitor
Accepted Solution

Constant Guard or Norton?

How is "constant guard" different from the Norton Suite comcast used to offer?  I've had the Norton from Comcast for a few years and I just noticed it now has the Constant Guard logo on it's controll panel.  I have a new laptop and am hesitant to download Constant Guard as it may add a bunch of things I don't want.

If I down load Constant Guard does Norton come with it or?

Thanks,

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

Re: Constant Guard or Norton?

LS1Fan wrote:

How is "constant guard" different from the Norton Suite comcast used to offer?  I've had the Norton from Comcast for a few years and I just noticed it now has the Constant Guard logo on it's controll panel.  I have a new laptop and am hesitant to download Constant Guard as it may add a bunch of things I don't want.

If I down load Constant Guard does Norton come with it or?

Thanks,

You can follow the link below in order to install Norton Security Suite (NSS) on your system:

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Security-and-Anti-Virus/How-to-Initially-Install-Norton-Security-Suite/...

when you go to download the NSS, please click on the No Thanks Button on the Constant Guard Protection Suite popup.  This will reveal the Get It Now Button which will start the download of NSS.

After you have downloaded it, be sure to run LiveUpdate until it responds "No Updates Found" as instructed in the link above.

Yes, NSS has the Constant Guard/Xfinity branding on the main page of NSS now.  It is a marketing thing - everything that has anything to do with Security the Comcast marketing folks brand as Constant Guard - even if it in fact another companies program (such as Norton). 

Hope that answered all your questions.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Official Employee
CGPS-Support

Hi - in response to your question, "How is it different," the answer is that, regarding Norton - it isn't. The Norton component remains unchanged. If you install the Constant Guard Protection Suite (CGPS) - you are installing a dashboard through which you can enable Norton. Going Forward, the CGPS dashboard will be the front end for the xfinity security services, including additional features. However - you can install the components separately.  What CGPS has that Norton does not is a secure browser. When you install CGPS, you also install an anti-keylogging application, which can be disabled via the CGPS dashboard, and an application, which is part of the dashboard for online account security. This feature uses a secure browser to encrypt banking/financial transactions - very much a password manager, but using a secure browser as well.

As USAF points out, you can install Norton separately, but if you do any online banking management, such as transferring funds, I would recommend installing the CGPS for the online transaction security the secure browser provides.

Visitor

We have been very disappointed with the Constant Guard package and uninstalled it from 3 of our computers.  Even though we had not enabled many features, just having the software installed slowed down on browsing on all computers and caused erratic operation on our desktop.   As soon as we uninstalled Constant Guard the computers returned to normal operation and browsing sped up.  We do contnue to run the Norton Security Suite with no problems.

New Visitor
lstephen

Thank you for this post.  You were a heckuva lot more help than technical support who only wanted to sell me stuff!  Your link worked perfectly!

New Visitor
lstephen

My previous comment was for USAF E-8

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

lstephen wrote:

Thank you for this post.  You were a heckuva lot more help than technical support who only wanted to sell me stuff!  Your link worked perfectly!

You are welcome and glad that you got it sorted.  We do try hard on the forums to supply good support and in some cases, see and solve the problems some techs do not get to see and troubleshoot - just the nature of the animal!    Who said free isnlt better sometimes?  :smileywink:

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Visitor

Thanks to all that responded! 

It's been a big help in deciding what to do.

Bronze Star Contributor
Rolo42

[ Edited ]

CGPS-Support wrote:

What CGPS has that Norton does not is a secure browser.  When you install CGPS, you also install an anti-keylogging application ... This feature uses a secure browser to encrypt banking/financial transactions

True that Norton isn't a browser but it does have a browser intrusion protection system.  Additionally, Norton's Identitiy Safe, combined with Norton's host intrusion protection, is an already effective guard against keylogging.  Finally, secure transactions are handled at the session layer (i.e. SSL, TLS), not the application layer (browser), for which all browsers already handle.  CGPS is completely redundant, trying to reinvent the wheel.

I would argue that CGPS is more of a security risk than protection: I'll trust Norton/Symantec and Mozilla's decades of expertise over the embryonic CGPS.

CGPS adds nothing new except confusion, implying it is to be used in lieu of Norton, as the original poster believed, rather than an unnecessary extra layer (more moving parts, more to manage, more that can go wrong--again, increased vulnerability).

Official Employee
CGPS-Support

The Constant Guard Protection Suite offers a PIN entry system via a Microsoft Security Certificate, which is the first layer of protection. Second, it offers an encrypted browser, separate from the common browser which opens when we detect that the customer is contacting a web site - such as one of the over 8k bank sites stored in our servers. When the browser opens, we ensure that the website is the actual site, and not a dupe. If we do not recognize it, we stop the transaction. The separate and secure browser separates the online account protection aspect of CGPS from any other account protection software, and our site warnings take place via that browser.

If we implied that it was to be used "in lieu of Norton," we wouldn't include the Norton installer when the CGPS is installed. The CGPS account protection piece has nothing whatsoever to do with anti-virus/firewall security software. It does ONE thing - and that is watchdog a customer's financial accounts - which is why Norton is included as part of the suite.

The intent and ulitmate purpose of the  Suite is to offer all Comcast Security products in a single location via a dashboard - which is what the securitysuite is - a single dashboard location for all Comcast xfinity security pieces. Moving forward additional security features will be added both to the right side area where you currently "enable" Norton, or in the Options tab where the anti-logging on/off exists.

The Security Suite is simply an installer and location for each of the security products and includes a very secure online account protection application via a secure browser, and a very secure PIN entry system provided via a Microsoft Security Certificate.

Bronze Star Contributor
Rolo42

CGPS-Support wrote:

The Constant Guard Protection Suite offers a PIN entry system via a Microsoft Security Certificate, which is the first layer of protection. .

"More" security does not mean "better" security.

CGPS-Support wrote:

The Constant Guard Protection Suite offers a PIN entry system via a Microsoft Security Certificate, which is the first layer of protection. Second, it offers an encrypted browser, separate from the common browser which opens when we detect that the customer is contacting a web site - such as one of the over 8k bank sites stored in our servers. When the browser opens, we ensure that the website is the actual site, and not a dupe..

Again, Norton already does this with all web sites, not just the ones CGPS knows about. 

CGPS-Support wrote:If we implied that it was to be used "in lieu of Norton," we wouldn't include the Norton installer when the CGPS is installed.

This doesn't address the continuous confusion posted by users.

The CGPS account protection piece has nothing whatsoever to do with anti-virus/firewall security software. It does ONE thing - and that is watchdog a customer's financial accounts - which is why Norton is included as part of the suite..

"Constand Guard Protection Suite" sounds like a suite of security products, not ONE, "Secure Banking Browser".  Again, Norton already provides safe surfing, antiphishing, and identity/credentials protection.  What is CGPS providing that N360 doesn't?

Official Employee
CGPS-Support

Rolo42,

We use a Two factor authentication –

1. CGPS uses public key cryptography and performs the authentication remotely. Unless the PIN verification service receives your PIN AND public key (which can be sent only by the computer you installed your Constant Guard Protection Suite on, the secure, storage on your computer, containing user names and passwords will not unlock.

2. Local security of usernames and passwords – CGPS uses AES encryption to secure users’ account information locally on the PC.  AES encryption is approved by the National Security Association for top secret information.

We also offer the protection of the secure browser. If the customer wishes to access a site which we have stored in our servers, we will open the site in our browser, and any transaction or query which takes place between the customer and that site is done through our private browser and so is much less vulnerable to a hack than a public browser such as IE, Firefox, Chrome, etc.

I hope this answers your questions. If you have a new one, please ask it. If not, hopefully, this will suffice.

We are not in competition with Norton, which is why both products are provided. I have also stated that the CGPS dashboard will also house additional security options which are not housed in the additional security applications, such as Norton. We worked with Norton to put together an installer which would install Norton and make it easy to activate from the CGPS dashboard while still presenting the securely stored accounts on the left side of the dashboard, and we are in regular communication with the Norton engineers.

Contributor
TallyLassie2

Last entry on whether or not to install (or activate) both applications was in Spring 2012.  Please update as to whether or not both should be installed, and doesn't this slow down the system? 

Official Employee
CGPS-Support

The products are completely different, and if you install the Constant Guard Protection Suite (CGPS) - then you will see that you can activate the Norton Security Suite from within the CGPS.

If you have a fairly new computer with a current operating system, it will NOT slow the system down.

If you are using a computer with XP, and not enough memory to support multiple fulltime web applications (such as CGPS AND Norton at the same time), and your drive is old/full/corrupt - yes. You're going to see performance issues with older, underpowered computers trying to run multiple web applications at the same time. It doesn't matter whether it's CGPS and Norton. If you have a computer with less than 1 gig of physical ram, and you are using virtual memory on your hard drive, and you run multiple fulltime web applications simultaneously you'll see a performance decrease.

New Visitor
ScottHight

After installing Constant Guard, my PC was a lot slower. My PC is reasonably high-powered and I have plenty of free space on the hard drive. After installing Constant Guard and reinstalling only the Norton Security Suite, performance returned to normal. That's just my experience...

Contributor
TallyLassie2

I don't understand what you mean. You installed Constant Guard and noticed your computer was a bit slower. Got it. Then after installing Constant Guard and reinstalling only the Norton Security Suite, performance returned to normal?? How can you install Constant Guard, and then reinstall only the Norton Security Suite?
Contributor
TallyLassie2

I don't understand what you mean. You installed Constant Guard and noticed your computer was a bit slower. Got it. Then after installing Constant Guard, and reinstalling only the Norton Security Suite, performance returned to normal?? How can you install Constant Guard, and then reinstall only the Norton Security Suite?
Visitor

We will jump-in here having started the topic a long time ago.  Put us in the camp that thinks Constant Guard degrades a computer's performance (even the newest highest speed) and just causes more trouble then it's worth.  If you want to remove it you simply go through the normal remove software procedures.  You can then go back to the Comcast Security site and download only the Norton program without Constant Guard.  Of course Comcast, which for some reason seems to have an agenda, makes it difficult for you to find how to get Norton without Constant Guard....so you do have to work at it :smileyhappy:

Contributor
TallyLassie2

OK. I believe I understand now. Norton should be installed, but not Constant Guard. Thanks.
Official Employee
CGPS-Support

Hi TallyLassie2 - It's not "Constant Guard OR Norton," it should be "Constant Guard AND Norton." The products are completely different and function together or separately. The performance issue has to do with running multiple fulltime web applications at the same time. Constant Guard Protection Suite (CGPS) includes the Norton installer because the products are completely different. One - Norton - is a great anti-virus/firewall and disc maintenance utility. CGPS, on the other hand, provides features for secure browsing, secure password management, anti-logging, and the DNS lock. The performance issues associated with running both at the same time come down to IF the customer is relying on their hard drive for virtual memory, as well as processor speed, and internet connection speed. All three play a part in the application performance, or the computer performance. When things get really bad, the customer is using multiple fultime web apps (like CGPS and Norton), and has an older computer with less than 5 gigs of physical RAM on the logic board, and has questionable Wi-Fi performance. The amount of physical RAM necessary is totally dependent on how many simultaneous applications the customer is using and how large the operating system is. In many circumstances, 1 Gig of physical RAM is sufficient, but given the size of today's applications and operating systems - that is rare, and so modern computers ship with multiple gigs of physical RAM - not 1 gig. Most customers do not see a performance issue, or do not see an issue so great that they feel the need to not use CGPS AND Norton.

My recommendation is to install CGPS and then activate Norton from the CGPS dashboard. Do you see a performance issue large enough to be detrimental? Disable CGPS. You can do this by using your Adminstrative Tools control panel - to Services. Find the Constant Guard service in the list. Click on it to highlight it, and click to STOP the service. If you wish to do away with the account protection, anti-logging, and DNS lock completely, or do away with the synch feature if you are using a mobile device as well - then go to your control panels and remove the Constant Guard Protection Suite. Norton will remain in place.

Contributor
TallyLassie2

Thank you for this information.  It was quite helpful, but I still have the following questions.  I checked my computer.  It is Microsoft Windows XP, Version 2002, Service Pak 3.  CPU 2.80 GHz.  2.00 GB of RAM.

Seems like this would be sufficient?  Right?

Before my first post, I installed both Constant Guard and Norton, and noticed a considerable performance difference, hence the post.  Then prior to your response, I uninstalled Norton and left Constant Guard installed.  I then installed the free Microsoft Security Suite Package.

I have always had a lot of trouble with Norton, and have heard the same from a number of people.  I hope what I have done will provide enough safety.

I am very disappointed that Comcast uses Norton.   

Contributor
CGPSSupport

[ Edited ]

CGPS Support identity - my apologies to the forum readers. Due to an oversight, my log-on credentials, which are normally for CG-Support, and are red, designating me as a Comcast employee, expired, and are in the renewal process. The backup credentials, for CGPS Support *should* be red, designating me as a CC employee, but they are not. The Forum is aware of this, and it should be resolved during this coming week.

Hi TallyLassie2 -

Yes, 2GB of RAM "sounds" like it would be sufficient IF you are not running multiple applications which, combined take up more than 2 GB of RAM - including your operating system. The core problem is that, it is likely that is not the case. If there is not sufficient physical RAM to run your applications, the operating system will use the available space of our hard drive as "backup" RAM, called "virtual memory." This slows the hard drive down, and if the drive is more than a few years old, it is probably nearing full, may have errors on it, and is no speed demon either. All of this, combined will make for performance decreases in your computer.

Regarding NORTON - if you read the posts in this forum - and there are many regarding Norton, don't be dissuaded by them. The Norton Security Suite is a very good Security Application in use by millions of users without significant issue - and the same can be said for Constant Guard Protection Suite. However, put them together on an older system, and you will see a performance hit. I AM glad that your solution is working for you.

New Visitor

Stick with Norton.  Got  message that my drivers were outdated from constant guard.  Checked with Norton - nothing wrong with my drivers.  Constant Guard charged me $29.97 to "update the drivers".  (it looked just like a Norton website) and sent me to a website to purchase new drivers.  Fortunately I was able to cancel charge on my credit card!  I reported this problem to comcast.

Official Employee
CGPS-Support

876590 - you are responding to a message which is over 1 year old. "Constant Guard" is the umbrella label for *any* security software from xfinity, and it is free. The customer will not be charged for software offered through Constant Guard, and that includes Norton which installs as part of the Constant Guard Protection Suite.

Visitor
mesclavon

Yes I am running XP on an older machine and have had problems ever since falling for my IP's persistent recommendation to install CGPS. It would have been nice if there were some warning, say, an inquiry as to my PC and OS. I would have rejected it outright. Norton Security Suite was working fine before. I would love to uninstall or disable CGPS and I have spent a day looking for a way to do so. You say to go to Administrative Tools Control Panel - to Services. Where would I find that? When I log-in to My Account there is no Admin. Tools. There is a Services link, but it contains only a download button for CGPS, no uninstall option of any kind. How can I unload this unwanted thing?

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

Hi mesclavon,

I am sorry you seem to be lost.  Please bear with me as I am using Windows 7 and not Windows XP, so the path to where you desire to go may be a bit different.

In order to get to where you need to be:

Left click on the Windows Icon in the lower left corner of your screen, from the drop down menu that appears, select Control Panel, then select Administrtive Tools,  then double left click on Services, and find the services you desire to stop - per the instructions you are following.

I can't help much with CGPS, but if you have Norton questions,let us know what you have installed and we'll go from there.

Visitor
mesclavon

Hey USAF, Thanx for getting back to me. Later I realized the instructions meant to use the Admin Tools in my own PC, not my Comcast account. Duh! So I already did as you advise, more or less. Clicking 'stop' seems to have disabled CGPS, but did not remove it. I removed the Xfinity Toolbar manually. I wonder if the remnant of all that is still slowing my machine. It doesn't seem to be running any better and I still have trouble with sites that I used to use fluently before installing CGPS. This is after rebooting. Norton Security Suite seems to be working. I will use Norton's tools to defrag and optimize. Maybe that will help?  I know I need a new PC and Op Sys. They change so fast I can't decide what to get. Do you like Win 7? Are you going to upgrade? Thank you again, for your kind assistance, and for your service to our country.  

Official Employee
CGPS-Support

Hello mesclavon - disabling the CGPS via the Administrative Tools by stopping the service should have resolved any performance issues you may have seen due to us, but if you want to rule the CGPS out completely, you can remove 100% of the application by using the cleaner utility at the bottom of this message. If, after removing it completely, and you still see the performance hit - then it is very likely an issue with your hard drive. I know that you state you have done the defrag and optimization, but if the drive is old/slow, or is nearly full, and you are using it for virtual memory, you are going to see some performance hits especially if you are trying to run multiple fulltime web applications at the same time. Regardless, remove the CGPS and see if it helps. You can always reinstall it, if you wish, for free from www.comcast.net/security.

Here is the link to the cleaner, just click to RUN the cleaner. It will note "completed," when it has. Then, restart your computer:

http://downloads.idvault.com/comcast/cleaner/constantguardcleaninstall.exe

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

mesclavon wrote:

Do you like Win 7? Are you going to upgrade? Thank you again, for your kind assistance, and for your service to our country.  

Yes, I like Win 7 and as of right now have no plans to upgrade(?) to Win 8.

I'm trying to decide what to do with my Vista laptop - never have liked Vista!

New Visitor
MrsBarth

Thank you - I learned a lot from the original post and answers however I think you answered my unposted question :smileylaugh:

I did the Constant Guard with Norton on my old laptop and I think the programs overlap.Both Constant Guard and Norton have safe password programming and both kept asking me to use them. so I just went back to old school - putting the passwords in myself!  It still runs faster than with the free AVG I was using. I think I will install just Norton on my new beauty , learn it,  then add the Constant Guard if I think it necessary.

New Visitor

Where is the Adminstrative Tools control panel of which you speak? Please be more clear. Is it in CG, or Xfinity or Windows or where?

Official Employee
CGPS-Support

Hello MrsBarth - yes, both Norton and CGPS have password managers. The difference is that the CGPS password managers opens the stored financial accounts in a secure browser. So, if you are going to store any credentials for financial accounts, such as your banking or retirement accounts, you would want to use the Constant Guard Protection Suite (CGPS) for those credentials. One thing that you can do is to install the CGPS and then install the Norton Security Suite from the CGPS - as you can install it from the Constant Guard Protection Suite main window. You can then disable the CGPS prompting by going to your web browser - to Manage Add Ons (for Internet Explorer), and in the list, find the Constant Guard Protection Suite. Then, click to "disable" the add on. This will stop the prompting. You can then selectively add the financial accounts you wish by using the "Add Logons" function in the CGPS main window.

IF performance is an issue on your computer - meaning, it seems to run slowly - then just install the Norton Security Suite. If it is a choice of CGPS or Norton, and the computer is slow with both applications running - use the Norton so that you have the advantages of their anti-virus and firewall applications.

Official Employee
CGPS-Support

Hello swmbo5 - go to your Control Panel to Administrative Tools. Open it, and click on "Services." You will then see a list of each service running on your computer. You can selectively select a service, and then click "Stop" to halt that service.

Visitor

To clarify: If your Windows Control Panel is in its default view by Category mode, (Windows) Control Panel-->System and Security (category)-->Administrative Tools. 

Official Employee
CGPS-Support

Hello pheininger - yes. And from Administrative Tools, you would select Services.

You can turn off the entire CGPS service there. If you simply wish to disable "Prompting" when you enter credentials at websites, or when you go to a financial website, you can turn that off by disabling the plug in or add on for Constant Guard. For Internet Explorer, that is in the Tools to Manage Add Ons, and then find Constant Guard Protection Suite in the list, and just click to disable the add-on.

Hope this helps.

New Visitor
jchurch1943

I already have Norton Security Suite installed on my computer.
How do I download and install ConstantGuard as a stand alone program?

Official Employee
CGPS-Support

Hi jchurch1943 - just got to www.comcast.net/security and download the Constant Guard Protection Suite (CGPS). Once it is installed and activated, you will see the option to activate Norton on the right side - just don't enable the Norton option.

New Visitor
jchurch1943

Thanks CGPS, I downloaded the suite per your instructions, working great. Thanks for all you do on this forum.

Official Employee
CGPS-Support

Glad to help!

New Visitor
peabody3

DO NOT download Constant Guard.  It is not compatible with other softwares.

As soon as I installed it, I lost my net connection.

I un-installed and lost phones and net for about 15 minutes.

This is a P.O.S. software

I even chatted with a tech prior to downloading to ensure it was compatible.  It is not.

Visitor
totallypoed

Yes. Constant Guard even asks that you disable norton or CG because it slows down your computer due to its redundancy. Very confusing to those of us that aren't geeks.

Visitor
totallypoed

My experience also. Also with a new laptop with plenty of storage left.

ScottHight wrote:

After installing Constant Guard, my PC was a lot slower. My PC is reasonably high-powered and I have plenty of free space on the hard drive. After installing Constant Guard and reinstalling only the Norton Security Suite, performance returned to normal. That's just my experience...

Official Employee
CGPS-Support

[ Edited ]

totallypoed -

The performance issues have to do with running multiple fulltime web applications at the same time. It has nothing to do with redundancy, or Norton or CGPS working together. The Norton Security Suite link installs WITH Constant Guard Protection Suite. The issue invariably has to do with computers which do not have enough onboard RAM to run the applications, and so the applications rely on virtual memory - meaning using your hard drive as memory to host the application while it is running. If your hard drive is not very fast or has errors on it or is nearly full, it will be slow. Real slow. If that is the case, then you need to run one application or the other, but not at the same time. If you have any issues which are affecting your connection or connection speed, then the matter gets worse.